Problem rooting since phone doesn't read SD Cards, HELP?!

This is a discussion on Problem rooting since phone doesn't read SD Cards, HELP?! within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; I have a Backflip. I want to root it so that I can use the tethering with it, since I have a DEFY without a ...

Thread: Problem rooting since phone doesn't read SD Cards, HELP?!

Problem rooting since phone doesn't read SD Cards, HELP?!

I have a Backflip. I want to root it so that I can use the tethering with it, since I have a DEFY without a sim inside it.

However, my Backflip doesn't read SD cards.

Is there a way to root without the card? Instead of pushing the SU file to the SDCard, can I push it somewhere else?

How can I install a custom recovery? Or even just boot into one for a bit.

There MUST be a way to do any of these things, I just don't know ADB all that well.

Please help me! I want to get ride of this damn bloatware nonsense.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Hmmm... For rooting, try Z4Root here. But with the ROM and custom recovery loading, I'm not sure.

the backflip is on 1.5...i don't think z4root will even install (i would use ADB to install it...) but let me try it and ill get back to you.

edit: yeah z4root won't even install on the phone through ADB because of the SDK being too new and the version on the backflip is 1.5...

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by solidus636 View Post
    the backflip is on 1.5...i don't think z4root will even install (i would use ADB to install it...) but let me try it and ill get back to you.

edit: yeah z4root won't even install on the phone through ADB because of the SDK being too new and the version on the backflip is 1.5...
    Flash it to the 2.1 update with the SBF from Moto here. Then all the little 2.1 dependent hacks and apps will work. Flashing this way doesn't require an SD.

YES! i knew that could be done..i just didn't know exactly what it was! thanks.

i have one quick quesiton.

if instead of pushing to the SD card as such :: adb push file.img /SDCARD/file.img
    and then flashing as such :: flash_image file.img /SDCARD/file.img

could i do this instead?? :: adb push file.img /system/file.img
    and then flash as such :: flash_image file.img /system/file.img

IS THAT POSSIBLE? please someone let me know.

My limited understanding of rooting and hacking tells me that without root access, you cannot push to system. It should read back permission denied because no root access is available. Though I could be totally wrong. I would say its worth a shot, but at this stage in the game you are unable to flash a new rom using custom recovery. Proceed with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Agentile1990 View Post
    My limited understanding of rooting and hacking tells me that without root access, you cannot push to system. It should read back permission denied because no root access is available. Though I could be totally wrong. I would say its worth a shot, but at this stage in the game you are unable to flash a new rom using custom recovery. Proceed with caution.
    This is correct. Rooting the phone gives access to write to /system. Actually /system is mounted read only, and must first be remounted as read-write usually.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

sorry guys, i forgot to mention.

i have successfully rooted the phone. running barnacle. 2.1 is working because i flashed the SBF file straight from my computer. it's rooted and all root apps are working.

what i was asking was could i flash an image that is stored INSIDE /SYSTEM/BIN?

or does the phone delete everything in that folder when it is flashed?

better yet. anybody cool enough to post an SBF file of a custom rom that looks like GINGERBREAD that has a kernel that I can OVERCLOCK?

i want to be DONE with motoblur, it slows this thing down sooo much...this phone has some damn potential..if it wasn't slowed down by motoblur and had a snapdragon inside it with a bigger screen, this phone would be sooo damn sick.

but i digress...anybody can help me out?

Ads