I was silly, I now have a boot-loop Motorola Backflip -- help?

This is a discussion on I was silly, I now have a boot-loop Motorola Backflip -- help? within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Hi, Well, the long story short: I followed the instructions here: How To: Load a Custom ROM on the Motorola Backflip | TheUnlockr However, I ...

Thread: I was silly, I now have a boot-loop Motorola Backflip -- help?

I was silly, I now have a boot-loop Motorola Backflip -- help?

Hi,

Well, the long story short: I followed the instructions here:

How To: Load a Custom ROM on the Motorola Backflip | TheUnlockr

However, I was an idiot and I managed to forget to wipe. Yes, I did.
    After installing the ROM, the phone went in boot-loop.

Since then, I tried everything. I tried wiping and reinstalling pretty much every single ROM I found here:

Motorola Backflip ROMs | TheUnlockr

I'd wiped everything, installed new ROM, but no -- same story.

When I did my first wipe, I noticed that the SD card wipe failed. I managed to wipe it using a different Android phone. After that, the wipe worked. But... nope.

I tried taking the SD card out. Boot loop.

At this point, I tried everything. Maybe?

Well.. help. Putting my bad karma out there. If you say that I deserved it... you are right.

Bye,

Merc.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Welcome to the forums!

Have you tried going back to OEM, then going from there?

http://www.attdroids.com/forum/motor...-re-flash.html

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

You do have an ATT Backflip? If yes, which version of Android were you running before you tried to root the phone (or where you already rooted)? I ask because there may be some radio.img issues if you don't have an ATT Backflip.

Regardless, if you seem stuck in the boot loop even after wiping everything and trying to reflash, I'd take Dorian's advice and use RSDlite to flash back to stock Motorola 2.1 and then start again. For rooting from stock 2.1 all you'll need to do is to install z4root using ADB and then running the app. No need for the command-line stuff.

Also, it might help to know which ROM you were trying to flash. I honestly think most of the Backflip development has been taking place around M3 and KernelZilla's CyanogenMod Froyo port seems to be the way forward.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Maybe that's it!

Hi,

Actually, I don't have an ATT Backflip! I have an Australia Optus one. Could that be the problem?

Can I go ahead and flash it with 2.1 anyway? Plus, is there a different piece of software other than RDSlite? I don't use Windows and...

About the ROMs I tried:

Motorola Backflip ROMs | TheUnlockr

I tried:

* Unofficial Cyanogen rom
    * Eagle
    * PRCL
    * Preclair

They all somehow boot-loop even after a complete wipe :-(

Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    You do have an ATT Backflip? If yes, which version of Android were you running before you tried to root the phone (or where you already rooted)? I ask because there may be some radio.img issues if you don't have an ATT Backflip.

Regardless, if you seem stuck in the boot loop even after wiping everything and trying to reflash, I'd take Dorian's advice and use RSDlite to flash back to stock Motorola 2.1 and then start again. For rooting from stock 2.1 all you'll need to do is to install z4root using ADB and then running the app. No need for the command-line stuff.

Also, it might help to know which ROM you were trying to flash. I honestly think most of the Backflip development has been taking place around M3 and KernelZilla's CyanogenMod Froyo port seems to be the way forward.

No, the official Motorola 2.1 upgrade is ONLY for ATT Backflip users. It includes an updated radio.img that may very well brick your phone for good. You'll want to check this thread for the correct image for your phone, and it looks like there are a few different versions to choose from. The 0.2.17 version looks like the newest (these are all Android 1.5 images, only the ATT US received 2.1 officially).

You can try flashing the Italian radio.img that is listed here. According to the thread it SHOULD be safe for Optus, Australia users. That may also help with any boot issues you were having with the unofficial ROMs.

Remember though, these are only suggestions, and could possibly make things worse, but that is your decision to make.

And no, RSDlite is a Windows application and is the only solution if it comes to that.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Hi,

>You can try flashing the Italian radio.img that is listed here. According to the thread it SHOULD be safe for Optus, Australia users. That may also help with any boot issues you were
    > having with the unofficial ROMs.

This brought me a huge step forwards! (well at least I think). How, instead of returning to the "M" of Motorola, I get the logo of the ROM I flashed. The problem is that the phone doesn't seem to be going past that. I tried with Complete eClair and with PRCL.

Is this _actually_ a step forward? What's the phone doing at this point...?

Thank you so much!

Merc.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    If its booting past the M logo then its passing boot-check successfully... now the issue lies with the ROM.

Sent from Spacial Grid 325, Terra 001

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Hi,

It's a little strange, though, that both ROMs stop at looping their welcome logos... doesn't it? Plus, those ROMs are meant to be functional. Which one would you suggest?

MOST important question: if I flash a new ROM, will I lose the "good" radio?

Thank you!

Merc.

how long do you let it sit? on first boot ROMS take ALONG time to boot first try. when i did jrodds for the first time it took a good 20 min. i thought i had boot loop but it just took awhile

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links