How To: audio over mono bluetooth headset

This is a discussion on How To: audio over mono bluetooth headset within the Motorola Backflip FAQ forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Hello all, i was hoping to get some help/answer to a question i had. my last few phones i've been able to have my media ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: audio over mono bluetooth headset

How To: audio over mono bluetooth headset

Hello all,
    i was hoping to get some help/answer to a question i had. my last few phones i've been able to have my media audio be played over my bluetooth headset. My last to motorola's (razor and q9h) did it automatically, while my blackberry pearl needed to have a specific media app downloaded to do it. I walk my dog, and having the ability to have the music/podcasts/radio etc. in the background in one ear, while leaving the other open to hear what's going on around us, is hugly helpful and means i don't have to be playing my music and disturbing my neighbors as i walk past.
    is there an app/ bluetooth device that can accomplish this? i saw something about a jabra model that can control media, but i already have an earpeice which was able to do it on my BB and Q9H which i like, so i'd prefer not to spend the $80 on a new oneif there is an application/work around i can find. any help would be hugly appreciated (you'll be my best friend if you can solve it for me)...
    thanks in advance for any answers
    dan

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yeah, I was having a similar problem with my A2DP headset (which only works as mono since Android 1.5 doesn't support A2DP). From just the little bit I looked into it, it didn't seem like there was a built in way to route your non-call audio to the headset in Android 1.5, though there could be an app or something that will let you do this, not sure.

It sounds like later versions of Android have better bluetooth support, so maybe we will be able to do this easier if/when we get an upgrade...

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

Thanks for the replies...I"ll give them a look...
    an update from my end, three times now I've had my dog out on a walk with music playing on Meridian and received a call via bluetooth. Once call was finished, before the bluetooth singnal was cut, 2-3 seconds of music would come through my head set, ledding me to belive both the phone and earpiece can do the job, it's just a question of programming.
    I would guess this also is the reason I can't hear my own ringtones via bluetooth. Here's hoping some nice developer out there can solve this problem soon...

Thanks for the replies...I"ll give them a look...
    an update from my end, three times now I've had my dog out on a walk with music playing on Meridian and received a call via bluetooth. Once call was finished, before the bluetooth singnal was cut, 2-3 seconds of music would come through my head set, ledding me to belive both the phone and earpiece can do the job, it's just a question of programming.
    I would guess this also is the reason I can't hear my own ringtones via bluetooth. Here's hoping some nice developer out there can solve this problem soon...

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    The Backflip does support A2DP.

See this page and this page at Motorola for the phone features and according to Wikipedia Android 1.5 supports A2DP. geek.com also states that Android supports A2DP (see item 8 in the article linked). Also the Android Developer's list these:

Bluetooth
    • Stereo Bluetooth support (A2DP and AVCRP profiles)
    • Auto-pairing
    • Improved handsfree experience

as improvements in 1.5.
    Oops, yeah, you are completely right...

Not sure what I was doing wrong before, but I just tried again and my headset does work with the phone in A2DP mode

Sorry for the mis-information. This was one of the first things I tried to do when I got my phone and I hadn't tried again since, so I may have been confused on the Android version numbers, etc when I was looking into it.

Ok....where can I adjust the a2dp settings? Doesn't seem to come up in the bluetooth settings or when I click the device...

i probably should've posted this earlier, it's the specs for my headset (plantronics 835)
    Plantronics Voyager 835 specs and Headset specifications - CNET Reviews
    i'm guessing - Connectivity Technology Wireless - Bluetooth 2.0 EDR means i can't accomplish this...

Well, A2DP is a bluetooth profile for higher quality stereo audio, and I don't think your device supports this profile.

BUT, I found where the option to route audio through the headset is, hopefully it is not disabled for mono devices. first pair your headset to your phone, then go to Settings->Wireless controls->Bluetooth settings. At the bottom of the screen under the "Bluetooth devices" heading, you should see your device. Press and hold your device name, then select "Options...". Under "Profiles", mine has "Phone" and "Media", make sure "Media" is checked and it should route music, game, etc audio to your headset. If yours doesn't have a "Media" option, you may be out of luck (though perhaps someone more knowledgeable can jump in)...

Quote Originally Posted by acmasters View Post
    Well, A2DP is a bluetooth profile for higher quality stereo audio, and I don't think your device supports this profile.

BUT, I found where the option to route audio through the headset is, hopefully it is not disabled for mono devices. first pair your headset to your phone, then go to Settings->Wireless controls->Bluetooth settings. At the bottom of the screen under the "Bluetooth devices" heading, you should see your device. Press and hold your device name, then select "Options...". Under "Profiles", mine has "Phone" and "Media", make sure "Media" is checked and it should route music, game, etc audio to your headset. If yours doesn't have a "Media" option, you may be out of luck (though perhaps someone more knowledgeable can jump in)...
    alas, i tried this workaround, and there was only the "Phone" option, no "Media", guess i'm gonna be shopping for a new bluetooth....grrrrr....:mad:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links