Reboot

This is a discussion on Reboot within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; my first Backflip rebooted a lot. Using Camcorder resulted a reboot for sure. Then I exchanged for a new unit. No reboot since then. Very ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reboot

my first Backflip rebooted a lot. Using Camcorder resulted a reboot for sure. Then I exchanged for a new unit. No reboot since then. Very happy.

I suspect the rebooting issue is due to a bug in the camera kernel module at the Linux kernel level personally....

Any one still having problems? On my second backflip its very rare, but for those who dont have the problem when using the camera, I think the culprit is either handscent or better keyboard, maybe both. Had the quick reply window pop up and had just enabled better keyboard moments before. While on the quick reply screen i went to flip my phone open, and sure enough it rebooted.

Quote Originally Posted by TechN9ne1730 View Post
    Any one still having problems? On my second backflip its very rare, but for those who dont have the problem when using the camera, I think the culprit is either handscent or better keyboard, maybe both. Had the quick reply window pop up and had just enabled better keyboard moments before. While on the quick reply screen i went to flip my phone open, and sure enough it rebooted.
    Actually, my phone rebooted just yesterday while using Handscent, this first time I noticed it happening. My third phone never rebooted before this.

Also, on another note but re Handscent, the screen is supposed to rotate at landscape, right? I have that setting selected, but it still only does it when I open the keyboard!

Quote Originally Posted by montREALady View Post
    Actually, my phone rebooted just yesterday while using Handscent, this first time I noticed it happening. My third phone never rebooted before this.

Also, on another note but re Handscent, the screen is supposed to rotate at landscape, right? I have that setting selected, but it still only does it when I open the keyboard!
    That setting is only for applications. It will not rotate the home screen. In order to do that you need to download a home alternative application like OpenHome for example.

I have 9 lockerz invites if interested PM me.

Just thought I would add to this thread. I started a very similar thread here:

http://www.backflipforums.com/forum/...off-issue.html

So, I am on my 2nd Backflip and have done everything from hard resets to factory resets, to using Handcent, to using the factory text message client, etc.

I think I've narrowed the reboot issue down to bad batteries, or rather a flimsy battery cover. When the phone is "flexed" just slightly while using the keyboard or opening the shell it seems to lose contact with the battery terminals inside and that's when the reboot happens. And since when AT&T sends a replacement phone they only give you the base phone, then I still have my old flimsy battery cover which doesn't hold the battery secure very well.
    This is just my observation after doing some thorough troubleshooting.

The replacement phone they sent you doesn't have a battery cover of it's own?

How odd! You would certainly expect that the base phone would include the battery cover.

As a work around, I wonder if you could tighten up the battery by setting a piece of paper, maybe folded once or twice, on the battery or under it or around it to help hold it tightly in place.

Haven't tried that solution yet.
    I'm now on my 3rd backflip in a month. So far no issues on this one. But I've had it only 2 days, so we'll see what happens. My guess is the same thing will happen.

edit: and just so everyone understands... it's not so much that the battery is loose enough to wiggle around in the phone. It just seems that whenever I would exert any kind of force on the battery cover equal to holding the keyboard open and typing it would shut off. But finally it got so bad that the phone would reboot in the middle of phone calls and a few times while I was placing it on my coffee table. So, there is no telling what the problem is.

I've had a number of problems including the reboot a few times a week. One time, it did it back to back and normally when I'm sending text messages. The other odd thing is that sensor that tells it how it is aligned stopped work. The screen would still flip but games like Labirinth wouldn't work properly. I've had nothing but bad experience so far since switching to AT&T. The other odd thing is that mine won't stay on 3G. It constantly falls back to Edge while the AT&T iPhone next to me is connected on 3G just fine. I don't get it. I'm taking mine back to the store tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendal View Post
    The replacement phone they sent you doesn't have a battery cover of it's own?

How odd! You would certainly expect that the base phone would include the battery cover.

As a work around, I wonder if you could tighten up the battery by setting a piece of paper, maybe folded once or twice, on the battery or under it or around it to help hold it tightly in place.
    I had the same problem and could force a reboot by placing pressure on the keyboard area.
    After putting a small piece of paper folded over once in I can't get the same result which is a good thing! I suggest trying this although having a piece of paper in your phone forever does sound like a pain...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links