Sound is muffled talking to others

This is a discussion on Sound is muffled talking to others within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; All, My girlfriend has a Backflip running on AT&T. While overall it works well, the sound quality is an issue for her. When she talks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound is muffled talking to others

Sound is muffled talking to others

All,

My girlfriend has a Backflip running on AT&T. While overall it works well, the sound quality is an issue for her. When she talks to people, they have trouble hearing her. The phone sounds much less clear than her older phones. The reviews I've read seem to indicate that the phone has good sound quality. However, this does not seem to be the case in this situation. Do others have this issue? Any ideas? I'm not sure if her particular phone is defective or is there another issue going on here?

Steve

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

There was a similar thread around here, but cant seem to find it atm. It does seem as though some people are having issues with the sound quality. In my case the phone seemed to echo but it went away.

Quote Originally Posted by TechN9ne1730 View Post
    There was a similar thread around here, but cant seem to find it atm. It does seem as though some people are having issues with the sound quality. In my case the phone seemed to echo but it went away.
    http://www.backflipforums.com/forum/...l-quality.html

Exactly!

I'm having the same prob, I just had my sis call me to test it, as soon as I started talking, she said "what, what?", right off the bat and I was like "I'm taking this phone back!!", then I took the case off and talked some more, and she said "I thought we determined before that is was that stupid case, why did you put it back on???"

It's the Case-Mate Naked Shell case that AT&T is selling, it goes with the phone but I find it doesn't lie completely flat onto the screen and I think when I speak the air circulates in there creating a tunnel effect. I can also tell there is a space there because you can see it as you touch the screen, it sticks down at that spot. Also the case creates a bit of interference when using the screen, I find myself having to do/type things over. I'm very much a case nut and this is my first touch screen and I want something to protect it! The other piece of the case is great though, it goes around the keyboard and makes it so that if you were to put it down on the table, the keys definitely won't touch the surface.
    Case-Mate Naked Shell with Screen Protector - Motorola Backflip - Cell Phone Accessories - Wireless from AT&T

Anyway, all this to ask, does your girlfriend have the same case by any chance, or any case on her phone for that matter? Sometimes it's not the phone at all and all the crap we put on it! I'm going to keep testing it though.

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by montREALady View Post
    I'm having the same prob, I just had my sis call me to test it, as soon as I started talking, she said "what, what?", right off the bat and I was like "I'm taking this phone back!!", then I took the case off and talked some more, and she said "I thought we determined before that is was that stupid case, why did you put it back on???"

It's the Case-Mate Naked Shell case that AT&T is selling, it goes with the phone but I find it doesn't lie completely flat onto the screen and I think when I speak the air circulates in there creating a tunnel effect. I can also tell there is a space there because you can see it as you touch the screen, it sticks down at that spot. Also the case creates a bit of interference when using the screen, I find myself having to do/type things over. I'm very much a case nut and this is my first touch screen and I want something to protect it! The other piece of the case is great though, it goes around the keyboard and makes it so that if you were to put it down on the table, the keys definitely won't touch the surface.
    Case-Mate Naked Shell with Screen Protector - Motorola Backflip - Cell Phone Accessories - Wireless from AT&T

Anyway, all this to ask, does your girlfriend have the same case by any chance, or any case on her phone for that matter? Sometimes it's not the phone at all and all the crap we put on it! I'm going to keep testing it though.

Hmmmm interesting observation. Will have to see myself.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Hmmmm interesting observation. Will have to see myself.
    Noticing on the Moto site that a lot of people are also complaining about poor call quality though, they can't all have the same case!! Motorola used to be known to have sturdy phones with excellent call quality!! How annoying!!

Quote Originally Posted by montREALady View Post
    it goes with the phone but I find it doesn't lie completely flat onto the screen and I think when I speak the air circulates in there creating a tunnel effect. I can also tell there is a space there because you can see it as you touch the screen, it sticks down at that spot. Also the case creates a bit of interference when using the screen, I find myself having to do/type things over.
    I have noticed everything you mentioned above. Im thinking that IF the naked shell is the problem, which it isnt in terms of call quality in my experience, perhaps the next best thing is to double up the cases like this:
    Get a shell case, for example:
    Motorola BACKFLIP Snap-On Protective Case - Dark Green
    Now as far as I can tell this does not have a plastic sheet over the touch screen like the Naked Shell, so we can add in a Zagg Invisible shield
    ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Motorola Backflip Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

And this way everything protected.

Quote Originally Posted by TechN9ne1730 View Post
    I have noticed everything you mentioned above. Im thinking that IF the naked shell is the problem, which it isnt in terms of call quality in my experience, perhaps the next best thing is to double up the cases like this:
    Get a shell case, for example:
    Motorola BACKFLIP Snap-On Protective Case - Dark Green
    Now as far as I can tell this does not have a plastic sheet over the touch screen like the Naked Shell, so we can add in a Zagg Invisible shield
    ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Motorola Backflip Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

And this way everything protected.
    Great idea, but I had a bad experience with that ZAGG shield on my last phone! It looked horrible on and I had to remove it and it (protector) was pretty much ruined after that. I think it looked bad because my phone was the LG Shine which has a reflective screen like a mirror and the ZAGG took away from that.

Do you have it on yours? Oh no, you said the Naked Shell has been working fine for you...

Fyi

I just got off the phone with an AT&T tech re the muffled sound. He called my cell himself and noticed it right away, he said I sounded far away, and that with my land line, the call quality was a 10, with the Backflip it was about a 4! He tried some updates and that helped a bit, but he told me to put my current SIM card in an old phone to see if it's the card or the phone. I will do that later. The next step would be a factory data reset (he suggested I remove my memory card just in case), then next step after that, exchange the phone. I have screen orientation issues as well where I would turn the phone and the screen wouldn't follow. He said from the sounds of it, it is most likely a hardware prob, but I will try to troubleshoot it later before I exchange it tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads