silent/vibrate mode, audio streams, etc (android newb questions)

This is a discussion on silent/vibrate mode, audio streams, etc (android newb questions) within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; So, my new Backflip is my first Android device (I'm coming from windows mobile), and I am loving it, but one of the things I ...

Thread: silent/vibrate mode, audio streams, etc (android newb questions)

silent/vibrate mode, audio streams, etc (android newb questions)

So, my new Backflip is my first Android device (I'm coming from windows mobile), and I am loving it, but one of the things I haven't quite been able to figure out is exactly how the silent/vibrate modes and all the audio streams, etc work.

In windows mobile there were basically two audio streams, the ringer volume, and the volume for everything else. And when you turned silent or vibrate mode on, it would mute both of these streams.

Correct me if I'm wrong , but it appears that Android has at least 6 volume streams (system, ringer, notification, media, alarm, and in-call). Not sure exactly what 'system' is used for, but 'media' seems to be used for all games, music, etc, and the rest of the streams seem to be fairly self explanatory.

I found a nice app called "Volume Control" that lets me see and adjust each of these streams, and it appears that when the phone is switched to vibrate or silent mode all streams are muted except for media, alarm, and in-call. I guess I'm fine with alarm and in-call being active in vibrate mode because I think I only use the alarm stream for my alarms that wake me up in the morning, and of course in-call would only be used if I actively made or received a call, but I would much prefer that the 'media' stream be muted whenever I go to vibrate mode so that I don't have to worry about tapping the wrong icon during a meeting or church or something... Is there any way to accomplish this or do I just have to manually adjust the media volume to zero every time?

Also, what is the easiest way to switch profiles? With my old phones I was always able to switch profiles just by holding down a hardware button and could switch it without taking it out of the holster, but I know this is not possible on the backflip (would something like this be possible if we got root?).

I know you can turn on and unlock the phone, then use the volume sliders to go all the way down to silent/vibrate mode or back up to your preferred ring volume, but this seems a bit overly-complicated to me as I switch profiles pretty often... I have found several profile switching widgets which seem to be a bit better, but so far I haven't found any that I'm crazy about and that seem completely stable... Does anyone here have any recommendations for a good one? I really don't use silent mode that often, so one the just switches between ring and vibrate would probably be best.

Thanks in advance!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by acmasters View Post
    Also, what is the easiest way to switch profiles? With my old phones I was always able to switch profiles just by holding down a hardware button and could switch it without taking it out of the holster, but I know this is not possible on the backflip (would something like this be possible if we got root?).
    I like Ring Toggle because it lets you change the sound profile of the phone in two taps. You can go from one mode to any other mode.

There is a Mute app that also silences the media volume. This is an app not a widget. Put a shortcut to it on your home screen. Tapping it toggles System, Ringer, Notification, and Media volumes from silent to whatever they were set at before you muted them.

Cool, I am really liking 'mute' so far. It seems to not affect whether the vibrator is turned on or not, so I can switch between vibrate and ring+vibe with just one click on my home screen. And as you mentioned it also mutes the media stream like I was wanting

Thanks for the tip!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links