Drastic reduction in battery life.

This is a discussion on Drastic reduction in battery life. within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Hello everyone. Not really sure where to put this, so I'm sorry if this is off-topic. Here is the situation. I'm already aware of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drastic reduction in battery life.

Drastic reduction in battery life.

Hello everyone. Not really sure where to put this, so I'm sorry if this is off-topic. Here is the situation. I'm already aware of the phone's lackluster battery life performance, but I've been able to get about a day and a half with just light use. I don't use it for social networking updates and the like. Yesterday, I downloaded a couple of game apps, like a Simpsons puzzle game and a Tetris game, and used Pandora radio a little bit.

The meter looked to be around 50 percent when I stopped using it, but it was completely dead by the time I went to bed several hours later. I charged it up fully before I went to bed, which was around 2 am, and when I woke up at 8, about a fourth if its energy has been drained. It's under 50 percent now, and it's 3:30 PM currently. It never drained this fast just being in standby since I've had it for about a couple of weeks.

Is one of the game apps I'm using doing something in the background that I'm not aware off? How can I check and find out? Or, is this whole battery life thing just in my head?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Im not sure if any of the games would do that, but theres an app called task killer, and that is suppose to eliminate any background apps from running. its a free app, and i believe most the user on the site really like it and have noticed some battery life increase from it.

edit: the app is actually called "Advanced Task killer"

Quote Originally Posted by JustPlainLucas View Post
    Hello everyone. Not really sure where to put this, so I'm sorry if this is off-topic. Here is the situation. I'm already aware of the phone's lackluster battery life performance, but I've been able to get about a day and a half with just light use. I don't use it for social networking updates and the like. Yesterday, I downloaded a couple of game apps, like a Simpsons puzzle game and a Tetris game, and used Pandora radio a little bit.

The meter looked to be around 50 percent when I stopped using it, but it was completely dead by the time I went to bed several hours later. I charged it up fully before I went to bed, which was around 2 am, and when I woke up at 8, about a fourth if its energy has been drained. It's under 50 percent now, and it's 3:30 PM currently. It never drained this fast just being in standby since I've had it for about a couple of weeks.

Is one of the game apps I'm using doing something in the background that I'm not aware off? How can I check and find out? Or, is this whole battery life thing just in my head?
    Go to the app Market and download an Application Manager. You can then use that to 'kill' any apps that may be running in the background and draining the battery.

Don't worry too much about killing the wrong app. It's a temporary thing so the apps you might 'kill' will start up fine the next time you run them. Basically, I just kill everything and let the operating system sort it all out. So far I've never had a problem with that.

Also, go into Settings and turn off all the 'Sync' stuff that you don't need to get minute by minute updates on. And you can turn off bluetooth, GPS and WiFi in there when you're not using it, too. That all helps a great deal.

Hopefully, that'll all get you back to a more reasonable battery life.

There is an app called aspotcat that let's you browse installed apps by their permissions, look for apps that might be keeping the phone in partial wake or otherwise draining juice

I just started using Task Killer a few days back and it's incredibly noticable the difference in battery life...and the widget makes it so much easier probably going to buy the thing soon

I currently use Task Manager (Futon Redemption) and from my experience with other task manager programs, i like this one the best. Since i started using it i can easily get 36 hours of moderate use out of the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPlainLucas View Post

Hi:
    Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same issues (battery always showing 50% charge). I suspect my battery is dead (unable to hold a charge). I tried another battery in the store and the phone worked, so I ordered a new battery (still waiting). That being said, it still could be a defect in the phone (and its ability to charge the battery).

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    Hi:
    Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same issues (battery always showing 50% charge). I suspect my battery is dead (unable to hold a charge). I tried another battery in the store and the phone worked, so I ordered a new battery (still waiting). That being said, it still could be a defect in the phone (and its ability to charge the battery).

Thx

In your case it could just be a bad battery. When did you get your phone? For the first few weeks their was a bad batch that had similar issues that were sold. A new battery should fix your situation.

To the OP it sounds like maybe an application that you are using is causing a battery drain. What i would do in your case is download an application called spare parts, which can be found in the Market. It lets you really dig deep and find issues with the battery and such. Look under data statistics and you will see what all the apps are using that are running on your phone. Hopefully that will be able to determine your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tae_254 View Post
    In your case it could just be a bad battery. When did you get your phone? For the first few weeks their was a bad batch that had similar issues that were sold. A new battery should fix your situation.

To the OP it sounds like maybe an application that you are using is causing a battery drain. What i would do in your case is download an application called spare parts, which can be found in the Market. It lets you really dig deep and find issues with the battery and such. Look under data statistics and you will see what all the apps are using that are running on your phone. Hopefully that will be able to determine your problem.
    Thanks for the reply.

I won the phone a mid May - as I understand, it is one of the first offerings in Canada. Also thanks for the hint on Spare Parts - I will look into it.

Other than the fact it is currently dead, I am quite happy with the phone!

Hi all. Just following up. I used Advanced Task Killer, I think, and I did notice a bit of improvement. I also noticed that the biggest sapper to my battery life was the XBL friends app I had. I hardly ever used it so I just uninstalled it, and now the phone's life has improved by at least a few hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links