wifi insomnia

This is a discussion on wifi insomnia within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; I've been getting really lousy battery times (I just noticed I lost 16% from 38 minutes of screen on over 5.5 hours according to Spare ...

Thread: wifi insomnia

wifi insomnia

I've been getting really lousy battery times (I just noticed I lost 16% from 38 minutes of screen on over 5.5 hours according to Spare Parts), and I think I've figured out that the problem is that wifi is staying connected and turned on for a long time after the screen goes off. I've got it set to turn off when screen turns off in advanced wireless settings, but it has stayed on 3.5 hours out of the 5.5 hours it has been unplugged.

Is this normal backflip behavior? I have 3g data enabled, I was using Quick Settings to disable 3G but I thought that might be preventing wifi from switching off.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Read this:

Keep your charge on -- how to improve battery life on your Android phone | Android Central

The wifi part toward the bottom will explain that in actuality, searching for a 3G connection constantly uses more battery than using Wifi - even when Wifi isn't connected but turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by kamelonious View Post
    Read this:

Keep your charge on -- how to improve battery life on your Android phone | Android Central

The wifi part toward the bottom will explain that in actuality, searching for a 3G connection constantly uses more battery than using Wifi - even when Wifi isn't connected but turned on.
    i'm really confused on this wifi, 3g thing. this is the first smartphone i've ever had and still learning. am i supposed to have wifi turned on? i turned it on and it still said 3g....? someone clarify some of this for me. please

3G is the cellular data connection that you receive from and through your provider (in our case AT&T - since Backflips are available through them). Use of this data transport is across the cellular network and you must have a compatible data plan to use it and be within range of a compatible cellular tower. WiFi on your smart-phone is the the same WiFi you can access with a computer, to get to the Internet. First, however, you must be in range of a WiFi network (your house, your office, Starbucks, the President's Club at the airport, etc) that you can access. Access may be open or unsecured, or you may have to authenticate to it first - just like with a netbook, notebook or desktop computer.

Jerry, in the linked article, is pointing out that using a WiFi connection for internet access is cheaper, in terms of power consumption, than accessing the same internet sites using 3G through the cellular network. WiFi access is generally much faster as well, since the WiFi network is most likely connected to the internet through a high-bandwidth broadband connection.

Most likely, you simply need to configure access to the local WiFi hotspots or networks, one time, that you are within range of. Then you can leave WiFi on in those locations and the Backflip will use that connection instead of the 3G connection.

great, well thank you! so...i should turn my wifi on and have it on at all times. and all i do is turn it on? no other special steps?

I just downloaded an app called Sleepy Battery, it turns off interfaces when the screen turns off. Its really simple to use, Im really happy. The demo version didnt work properly but the paid works great, give it a shot!

i turned on wifi and theres no connections so i turned it off and now theres no 3g..?

Quote Originally Posted by UserName View Post
    i turned on wifi and theres no connections so i turned it off and now theres no 3g..?
    Turning WiFi on and off won't effect your 3G in any way.

Have you changed any other settings?

Have you wandered into a 'non red area' on AT&T's map, perhaps?

Other than that... Dunno. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName View Post
    great, well thank you! so...i should turn my wifi on and have it on at all times. and all i do is turn it on? no other special steps?
    Sort of.

If you read the link, he explains that you have to turn your wifi to "never sleep" so that when the phone is in range of a wifi point that it is familiar with, it will opt for that over 3G because of the stability of the connection rather than constantly searching and switching to different 3G satellites.

When you're not connected to a wifi point that your phone is familiar with, then it ought to automatically (read: might take a few seconds to minutes) switch to 3G. If you aren't seeing either, as Lendal said, you're probably in an AT&T red zone or it hasn't talked to a 3G satellite quickly enough for you.

I've been running my phone this way for the last few days and when I'm anywhere that I have a WEP key for, there is a noticeable difference in the consumption of my battery in relation to 3G versus wifi. If your problem with connecting to 3G continues, I would suggest looking into the options of connecting to 2G (http://www.backflipforums.com/forum/...p-egde-2g.html)

Ads