keyboard and screen blackout

This is a discussion on keyboard and screen blackout within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Intermittently,over the last two weeks,when I make or receive a call (the second I press the call/accept button), the screen and keyboard are completely disabled ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keyboard and screen blackout

keyboard and screen blackout

Intermittently,over the last two weeks,when I make or receive a call (the second I press the call/accept button), the screen and keyboard are completely disabled and go black, yet the call is still going. Nothing I do gives me back control. This makes it especially difficult to erase voicemails, put someone on speakerphone, etc. If I want to stop the call, I have to pull the battery out.
    I have a number of apps on my phone free and purchased, pics, tons of contacts, and information so I would prefer not to do a factory reset.Yes, I know there are ways to back all of this up but I apparently don't know the convenient way as of yet.
    Is anyone else having this problem with calls...I have been hoping it's just a setting I changed inadvertently and can be easily fixed.
    Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You're right in that it most likely is an app or something that you have installed has changed something. Unfortunately without knowing what apps you have installed or when you installed them there really isn't anyway of knowing exactly what caused the trouble.

You could try uninstalling your apps one at a time to see if that corrects the problem before going all out and doing a factory reset.

If you do have to do a reset, all of the information on your SD card will be safe. You will have to reinstall your apps.

It is possible with apps such as Astro to backup your apps to your SD card, but since ATT removed the option to install from "unknown sources" you can't just restore them. It does give you a nice idea of which apps you had before though.

Yeah, factory reset isn't that big of a deal. Most people report getting their phone back to exactly the way it was within an hour at the most. As jmgib said, SD card is safe from the effects of a reset. Also, your contacts should be unaffected because that's all tied to your motoblur account. The only thing you really have to do is change the phone's settings to the way you like, and reinstall apps. If you go to the android market and look at the My Downloads section, it will list every app you currently have installed from the market, so maybe just write them down before the reset if you're worried about forgetting which ones you had.

That being said, you should probably try jmgib's advice and start uninstalling apps to see if the problem gets resolved. The My Downloads section in the market lists your apps in order of installation, starting with the most recent. Try uninstalling apps at the top of the list that you think you may have installed around the time you first noticed the problem occurring.

Unhappy same problems after factory reset AND a phone replacement!

So I did the factory reset and still had the same issue with the keyboard and screen blackout when making calls. I even did the factory reset again to make sure, no change in problem, therefore rendering unistalling and reinstalling apps useless at this point. I took my phone to the ATT warranty and tech support center. The guys there didn't seem to have any experience with the Backflip and they did everything I did and couldn't figure it out so they sent me a replacement.
    I received my new Backflip last Friday and didn't install any apps on it, no problems with calling or receiving calls. So this Monday, I slowly started loading my apps back on and checked my calling ability after every one (which isn't even really fail safe because it started out as an intermittent thing the first time anyway and long after I had already had a bunch of apps installed). The last app to go on was an app called Handcent that I really like for texting, phone still worked fine. This morning, Tuesday, I make a call, and it works...20 min later, I check my voicemail and the screen blacks out along with the keyboard AGAIN! Two calls later, it goes back to normal for one call, and then right back to black for the next. So now what? No one seems to be able to help me...does this mean a new phone again?!?!?

Have you tried swipping your hand over the top right of the phone? The part of the phone that shuts the phone down when you have it up to your ear so that no buttons get pressed when you have the phone up to your ear? If you look at it closely, underneath the glass screen you will see two little circles that are sensors, one on the left, and one on the right of the speaker. Swipe your finger across those, maybe they are not detecting you moving it away from your head fast enough. IDK if this is your issue, but I've had this problem before. Goodluck either way.

I hate to ask this, but are you sure your phone isn't just going to "sleep"? It's annoying that this happens, but I've noticed that it does go to sleep sometimes during a call if I'm using a headset and using the screen or keyboard often enough, Next time, try pressing the power button. If you have the keyboard out, try pressing the OK button.

@TJames and Eeyore..thank you for the suggestions but it is definitely not that simple, no waving of the hand or button pushing makes a difference, the phone is rendered useless yet the call is still going. It is very strange to say the least. I have partially remedied the situation by installing a speaker phone app called Car Mode so every outgoing and incoming call is automatically switched to speaker mode and for some reason, this way,I still have access to the screen and/or keyboard (so I can push 7 to delete or do something as simple as hang up). It will, however, blackout if I flip the keyboard closed no matter what mode it's in so I am careful to make a call where I can wait for the person to answer before I put the keyboard away. An inconvenience to be sure but one I am living with because I do no want to switch my phone out again along with redoing my settings and reinstalling all my apps.

Hey,

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have the same problem with my phone and wanted to compare notes, since it doesn't look like a solution has been found in this case.
    Same exact story: enjoyed phone for a week or two, then when I dial a number, it will sometimes make a call lasting 00:00, then drop me back to the dial screen and automatically redial the number in the background, and the black the screen as if I'm in a call. I have to fight with it to turn the screen on, unlock it and select the active call from the dashboard, or whatever you call that. Makes it difficult to check voicemail or dial into conferences. Have also tried factory resets, and exchanged the phone for another one... after a few days, the problem persists. On the last round, all I installed was WeatherBug, and removing it doesn't solve the problem.

I'm on Telus, not ATT, but it's interesting that this issue isn't limited to just Telus or just ATT firmware. Telus's tech support couldn't offer any help..

So, to the OP, are you still using the speaker app? Did you have any luck at all figuring out how to avoid or minimize the problem?

So

Keyboard and screen black out

Just purchased this phone for my niece on ATT. Having the same issue; When she makes a call she cannot access the screen to hang up. Once the other caller hangs up, the screen then activates again. The only way she can hang up is to remove the battery. Something is very strange with this. I sure wish it was a simple as an update.

We got a firmware update on Telus recently, 1.13 or something like that, I believe ATT got the same a little while ago. Anyway, this appears to have fixed the issue as it hasn't happened for me since the update and it's been over a week.

Perhaps your phone was shipped before 1.13 went out? You should get an automatic message at some point on the phone itself, prompting you to update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links