Can't obtain IP, trouble connecting to wifi

This is a discussion on Can't obtain IP, trouble connecting to wifi within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; This might be more of a networking question on my end, but I am unable to browse the internet/apps and whatnot when I am only ...

Thread: Can't obtain IP, trouble connecting to wifi

Can't obtain IP, trouble connecting to wifi

This might be more of a networking question on my end, but I am unable to browse the internet/apps and whatnot when I am only connected via wifi to the network at my home.

Here's the kicker:

When I set it to automatically detect an IP, it will say "Obtaining IP address from *network name*" and end up saying "Unsuccessful" under Wi-Fi in settings. Because of this, it seems to automatically re-enable 3G.

When I assign a static IP to the phone, it shows that it was successfully able to connect to the network and the wi-fi icon appears in the notification bar where the 3G icon normally would be. However, the browser is unable to load any websites and I am unable to use internet-based apps or browse the marketplace.

I am using a Linksys router and all of the computers on my network are connected to the internet just fine (with different IP's assigned to each one). This is what baffles me, though--The router's connection type is set to Automatic (DHCP). Should I change this to Static IP? I just don't want to mess up the other computers' connections when they seem to be running perfectly fine with the way the settings are at the moment.

Any solutions/tips?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Are you sure that you have set the security settings correctly on your phone and router? Also, are you doing anything like MAC address filtering.

If your router is set to DHCP, it should automatically assign an IP address to your phone when it connects.

Doh, uber fail on my part. Apparently all I had to do was "Forget" the network and then reconnect to it by entering the WEP key again on the phone. I thought it would have remembered it from when I tried the first time I got the phone.

I am having pretty much the same issue. I am using an Htc Aria and a Linksys router as well.Mine will also detect the router, it will say "Obtaining IP address from *network name*" and end up saying "Unsuccessful" under Wi-Fi in settings. It works just fine with an unsecured Linksys router nearbye, but can never seem to connect with my secure one, despite having the code, it can never seem to obtain Ip.

I have the same problem on my Samsung Captivate. I was able to connect to WIFI using ALLSHARE. it uses a different method of obtaining ip address.
    Apparently I rebooted by router so all my devices laptop etc got a new IP address where as captivate still searches for the old ip address.
    so go into ALL SHARE and it will pop up DO U WANT TO CONNECT TO WIFI. click OK.
    now click on ur WIFI conection and say FORGET. click again on it and type in the password and it will connect to ur WIFI.
    The problem with this is that whenever u go out of range it will disconnect and wont reconnect so u have to repeat this process overtime which is quiet irritating.
    I can see the problem is that captivate still searches for old IP address. so I am still looking for a way to reset my wifi IP ADDRESS but haven't been able to find a way do to that.
    I think restarting the router with all other devices off and just ur captivate working might solve the problem but still have to try.
    kindly let me know if it works but in the meantime you can try using all share.
    good luck

Junior Member angelicskies29154's Avatar
    i would like to say thank you i thought i was going to have to throw my barely week old phone out the window thanks so much all i had to do was turn on all share and wifi worked just fine you saved my phone even att couldnt do crap to help....

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links