Less and Greater

This is a discussion on Less and Greater within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; One thing that has been frustrating me is the lack of less-than ("<") and greater-than (">") keys on the Backflip's keyboard.These characters are available in ...

Thread: Less and Greater

Post Less and Greater

One thing that has been frustrating me is the lack of less-than ("<") and greater-than (">") keys on the Backflip's keyboard.These characters are available in the soft on-screen keyboard, but some applications (like ConnectBot SSH) block access to it. I do some HTML work over SSH from my Backflip using ConnectBot,
    and I wrote special editor macros to insert these characters. I can delete them now!

Maybe everybody knows this, but I just discovered yesterday that while alt-K inserts an open parentheses, shift-alt-K inserts a less-than symbol. To get a greater than symbol, shift-alt-L.

As well, shift-alt-A inserts a pipe ("|") symbol and shift-alt-Z an underscore ("_"). It just never occurred to me before yesterday to try using shift and alt at the same time!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    One thing that has been frustrating me is the lack of less-than ("<") and greater-than (">") keys on the Backflip's keyboard.These characters are available in the soft on-screen keyboard, but some applications (like ConnectBot SSH) block access to it. I do some HTML work over SSH from my Backflip using ConnectBot,
    and I wrote special editor macros to insert these characters. I can delete them now!

Maybe everybody knows this, but I just discovered yesterday that while alt-K inserts an open parentheses, shift-alt-K inserts a less-than symbol. To get a greater than symbol, shift-alt-L.

As well, shift-alt-A inserts a pipe ("|") symbol and shift-alt-Z an underscore ("_"). It just never occurred to me before yesterday to try using shift and alt at the same time!
    Great find! I only wish there were a few more... Seems like they would have at least made shift-alt-slash give you a backslash...

Push the SYM key.

Quote Originally Posted by knigitz View Post
    Push the SYM key.
    Did you try that in ConnectBot? If you try it, you'll see that it doesn't work. I guess applications have to explicitly support it or something.

It doesn't work in the Android port of NetHack either, where greater-than is somewhat vital to game play. The NetHack developer included their own pop-up keyboard and bound it to the Search key for some reason.

Anyway, having them available from the hardware keyboard is more convenient. What I don't understand is why they stopped with just <, >, |, and _. A friend wrote me to say that the Cliq keyboard also includes caret, euro, ellipsis, and backslash.

<>_| sent from my backflip. I love you. You got paypal? I posted somewhere else I'd send 10$ to whoever found this out lol. Now I can send heart symbols to my gf and look to do some PHP from my phone

I knew that from the beginning :P I was forced to learn when entering my email for MotoBLUR. I didn't want to use the soft keyboard

Some of you may have already know about this, but I just found out how to enter a backslash and quite a few other symbols without having to hit SYM.

Many of you probably already know that if you hold down certain letters like 'a', it will pull up a small window with all the different accent marks that an 'a' can have (, etc). But you can also do this with many of the blue symbols that you have to hit alt for and you will get a list of similar symbols that aren't on the keyboard. Then you can navigate the list with the arrow keys + enter or you can just tap on the symbol you want. The only thing is that you have to hold the alt key down (or hit it twice for "alt lock") and then hold down the key you want at the same time, you can't just hit and release alt then hold the key down.

So if you do this for the slash key, you get the option for a backslash (which you can select by just hitting enter). If you do it for parentheses, you get the option of square brackets, curly brackets, or arrows. There seem to be quite a few others as well, but I haven't had time to check them all yet.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links