WiFi and 3G data when phone is idle

This is a discussion on WiFi and 3G data when phone is idle within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; I have had my backflip for about 2 months now and always make a habit of turning on Wifi when getting home so it doesn't ...

Thread: WiFi and 3G data when phone is idle

WiFi and 3G data when phone is idle

I have had my backflip for about 2 months now and always make a habit of turning on Wifi when getting home so it doesn't eat into my data plan. I also run netcounter that shows a history of my data usage for both WiFi and 3G.

The strange thing is when I wake the phone in the morning I see over 1 meg of 3G data but usually 0 on the WiFi. And the WiFi indicator is active (after about 5 to 10 seconds). Also over night the phone is plugged in to the charger.

My assumption is that the phone after going asleep it disconnects the WiFi and just starts using 3G again for the "background" tasks. To validate this I set the screen never to time out last night and left it in clock mode over night. This morning I had 0 on the 3G and over a meg on the Wifi.

So the question is how do you keep the WiFi active when the phone is idle without burning the LCD display? Is this a bug or is there a setting to override?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

This setting is a bit hidden:

Settings->Wireless controls->Wi-Fi settings->(menu button)->Advanced->Wi-Fi sleep policy->(select "Never")

I have actually heard that setting this to "Never" and leaving your wi-fi on all the time can save battery because your phone won't try to keep a 3G connection up while it is connected to wi-fi (see here: Keep your charge on -- how to improve battery life on your Android phone | Android Central).

I have done this, and I always keep my wi-fi on now. Not sure if I can see a major battery improvement, but it certainly doesn't seem to be any worse, and it is a lot more convenient than trying to remember to switch it whenever I get home...

Nice find. I had found this setting using Spare Parts but didn't realize it was exposed this way also.

I great find indeed. Now I am going to be hitting the menu button on every menu option!

Thanks alot!

Me too.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Damn, I never noticed that setting. I always just assumed there was no way to force wifi while the phone was asleep. Thanks!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links