GPS never locks on satellites

This is a discussion on GPS never locks on satellites within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Every day since last week I brought up the maps application and the GPS icon never locked on. I power cycled and finally removed the ...

Thread: GPS never locks on satellites

GPS never locks on satellites

Every day since last week I brought up the maps application and the GPS icon never locked on. I power cycled and finally removed the battery. Then it worked for the rest of the day.

Well the next day same scenario. Had to take the battery out to get the GPS to lock. Also when I do this the GPS locks in about 5 to 10 seconds. I think my phone is defective.

Any thoughts? Do I take it back to an AT&T store or Sam's Club where I bought it?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

If you plan on taking it back, then take it back to the Sam's Club where you bought it because, well, that's where you bought it.

But wait to do that because someone else might have a solution.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

Ok...I just installed the GPS Status...next time the GPS doesn't lock I'll check it out with this...

Ok it happened again to me on the way home from work. I brought up Google maps and the GPS icon showed up and the end signal indicator was flashing. Sat in the parking lot for 5 minutes in this condition and no location dot ever showed up on the map. Launched the GPS Status application and the "radar" graphics came up with the green dots for satellite and the bar below showing the signal strength for about 6 of them being really strong. But below that where the longitude, latitude and speed usually show up didn't show any data or even the field names, just a rotating waiting graphic just like the one in the browser. I waited about 5 more minutes and still no data update on the screen. Also I had 5 bars of signal in the 3G network at the time which I understand that the GPS will use the cell network to give a quick fix for locating the satellites.

I shutdown, removed the battery, put it back in, booted back up, launched GPS Status again and within 5 seconds displayed my coordinates and the Google map showed my current location....

So what do you think? Bad phone?

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

Yes. This is why it's important to have and know how to read a map. Remember those? We are so dependent on technology now that it is scary.

Personal story: My friend/bridesmaid from another city was almost an hour late for our rehearsal. Not because she was drinking or getting dolled up, but because her GPS told her to go the wrong way, in the complete opposite direction. Luckily, she figured it out before she ended up in the wrong city...

Crazy...and lazy...

That's the state of society today.

While I agree it is beneficial to have a map or atlas handy in case of emergency, GPS devices and programs offer many useful things that a static map cannot. Many GPSs can offer automatic rerouting in the event that a street is busy or traffic is slow. Many can find destinations based on the name of the location (useful for landmarks such as malls or restaurants and such).

Not saying they are perfect, but they can be a very useful tool to have. Also, it can be difficult to read a map and drive if traveling alone and don't have someone to act as navigator for you.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Oh I agree the GPS has made folks forget how to navigate, for me its my "secondary" navigation method. I am also a pivate pilot that learned only with Charts and waypoint management, and with the price of fuel you want to most direct flight to GPS is a godsend but again only my "backup" navigation.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links