3G Activates when phone is idle

This is a discussion on 3G Activates when phone is idle within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; I have a feeling this may have something to do with my task killer (Task Manager), but every time I unlock my phone from idle/sleep ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3G Activates when phone is idle

3G Activates when phone is idle

I have a feeling this may have something to do with my task killer (Task Manager), but every time I unlock my phone from idle/sleep mode, I notice that the 3G icon is active in the task bar (even though I'm at my home/network) and then the phone goes back to wi-fi mode after a few seconds of it being unlocked. Wi-fi is turned on, of course.

I'm just worried that my phone could be using more battery and data with 3G while it is idle, when it should only be connected to wi-fi unless, of course, I go out of range of my network.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Member wikidcerealkilla_attdroids's Avatar
    That's cause when ur phone idles or goes to sleep it reverts back to ur phone wireless connection... go to ur WiFi settings menu, wireless, WiFi settings... hit the menu button, click advance settings, then click WiFi sleep policy and hit never. Hope that helps

Ah, yes it was set to "When screen turns off". That should do it. Thanks.

The other thing you MAY run into as a problem, When The Phone is in "sleep" mode (if you will) often times it wont show what network you're connected to...I caught this when I was outside of my Sheriff's Office the other day (WiFi and the Edge Network were both active) The phone didn't show any network signature (it didnt Say 3G or EDGE) it just had the signal Bars...I ended up having to turn the Wifi off to make a phone call..Happened to me several times now actually...
    Ignorantia Juris Neminem Excusat! - Ignorance of the law excuses no one!

Really? When i turn on the wifi and connect to a server it always turns my wireless net off... dont need em both running... i still was able to make calls fine tho. Thats a problem you should look into more cause i believe by default it turns off your mobile web

HTC Aria Cyanogen 6 overclocked to 845mhz using Tapatalk Pro
    HTC Aria... rooted
    Clockwork recovery
    CYANOGEN 7 Gingerbread
    Overclocked to 805 MHz

Former phones...
    HTC G1... that I have since rooted and gave to brother.
    Motorola Backflip... many calls and replacements till they gave me the Aria
    IPhone 3g... enough said

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    I agree with Diesel984. My BF gets confused sometimes too, and doesn't know which connection to keep active. Until I hold the power button for a second and turn off the WiFi, it holds both WiFi and 3G open, but doesn't let you use either. But turning the WiFi off, then back on solves the issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual-T View Post
    Ah, yes it was set to "When screen turns off". That should do it. Thanks.
    I do not recommend that if battery life is a concern. It will save battery to leave it as is and let it reconnect on wake up otherwise you will be transmitting data the entire time. Where as when it switches back to 3G it only uses data as needed.

How does that cause more battery... if u change that setting it should run you off wifi only and not your mobile web... thus saving you battery power.

HTC Aria... rooted
    Clockwork recovery
    CYANOGEN 7 Gingerbread
    Overclocked to 805 MHz

Former phones...
    IPhone 3g... enough said

In the case where you are in an area with weak signal, it actually saves the battery to have the wifi never sleep. This is because it takes less power to maintain a strong Wifi connection as opposed to constantly trying to maintain a weak data connection.

If you are in an area with strong cell signal this may not be the case, but even still I suspect it would be. Now, if you are in an area where there is no Wifi signal you can save battery life by disabling Wifi. But if you do have Wifi it's more efficient to maintain that connection.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by TechN9ne1730 View Post
    I do not recommend that if battery life is a concern. It will save battery to leave it as is and let it reconnect on wake up otherwise you will be transmitting data the entire time. Where as when it switches back to 3G it only uses data as needed.
    Aaahhh i get what your saying now... wifi on is always gonna be running as with the 3g is only gonna run when it needs it. Like to update a widget or whatever. But even then on wifi... it gonna idle till it needs the information so it wouldnt be transmitting anything really, and thus saving on battery

HTC Aria... rooted
    Clockwork recovery
    CYANOGEN 7 Gingerbread
    Overclocked to 805 MHz

Former phones...
    IPhone 3g... enough said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links