SD Card Problems

This is a discussion on SD Card Problems within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; I have a 2 GB SD Card. Its say about 2 years old. I cant seem to figure out how to flash it to EXT2,3,or4 ...

Thread: SD Card Problems

SD Card Problems

I have a 2 GB SD Card. Its say about 2 years old. I cant seem to figure out how to flash it to EXT2,3,or4 with out a card reader for my PC which I lost ages ago. Anyways thats not the main problem.

So I have tried using my SD card in both FAT and FAT32 formats. However when I try to copy files to my phone, say a folder of MP3s thas about 60 MB, I cant copy them all at once or else the phone seems to disconnect the USB on its own. It doesnt actually say it has done so, but then if i try to navigate the SD card it is no longer accessible so I am forced to unplug the phone and plug it back in again only to find that the files didnt cpy as they appeared. I seemed to find a work around by copying things in small amounts, say 5 or 6 MP3s at a time. but when tying to load multiple albums, thats a real pain. Is my SD card getting ready to kick the bucket? I should be getting an 8GB Class 6 card later this month, so its not a big deal, just wondering.
    Motus MB300(Backflip)_2.1 Preclair Beta1 by j_r0dd

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Did it do this before you flashed the custom ROM? I'm presuming you are wanting to format it extX so as to use app2sd?

The part about copying, I've never had any issues like that so I do wonder, did you have trouble mounting it on your PC and copying to it before you flashed the ROM?
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Yes I seem to recall having similar problems before the rom flash. Not this bad, but to the point it would require copying files in smaller amounts.

As for apps2sd, actually, no not really, my main thing was to get extX working prior to getting my 8GB latter this month. Then I will likley run apps2sd to see if the performance gain is worth it. Even if its not, I may keep as well so I dont have to worry about running out of space on the phone later on.

As for formatting, you can TRY Ext2 IFS For Windows. It's been awhile since I've used it and I don't remember if it would allow you to format using ext2/3 or not. It does not support ext4 (which is why I've stopped using it).

If not, you can always download a Linux LiveCD (or the wubi? Ubuntu Windows install) to partition the sdcard.

Again, I haven't noticed any issues with copying large numbers of files or anything to the SD card on my phone. Have you tried swapping out the SD card for the one that came with the phone?
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

I found soemthing for win 7 that claims Ext4 compatibility, forgot the name, but will get back to you.

As for the linux thing, sorry forgot to mention..I tried gparted as I keep a cop around at all times for those just in case moments. I also tried ubuntu but the install didnt see the SD card as a USB drive via the phone. So I tried gparted while running ubuntu live, and that allowed me to format it, but it didnt seem to work, I cant recall exactly why. Maybe I will try again in a bit.

And if I can find the original SD card I will try, but i think I lost it.

Oh and windows constantly nags me about the drive/sd card having errors, although that goes away after a format.

Just tried the other SD card by copying a few MP3 albums on to it, 159MB in the copy seems to stop, and then it fails after a min or so.

After doing some more research it seems this is a very common problem with various android phones and sd cards. If I copy the data on to the SD card using the card reader on my girlfriends laptop it works just fine regardless of how much data.

hrm, not seeing my post. i format my sdcard from the sdcard management menu under settings on my phone (fresh formats nice). you can format/convert to the other partition formats using j_r0dd's recovery. i followed these instructions for preclair regarding sdcard format..

1. Flash j_r0dd recovery
    2. Get to recovery and Wipe Data and Cache
    3. Flash j_r0dd 2.1 Pre Eclair form SD card
    4. Partition SD card to swap+ext2+fat
    5. Upgrade ext2 > ext3
    6. Reboot

Well 1-3 I have done awhile ago, but as for 4, I did this set the ext2 partition to 2048MB(2GB - the entire card) with no swap and remaining fat32. Problem is the phone says the card is corrupt when I boot in to android. I am confused here if the phone will only see the ext2/3 partition if apps2sd is installed and only the ext 2/3 partition can be used for apps 2 SD and not data storage like music and app data.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links