Upgraded to 2.1, now no "USB Drive or Charge Only" message when connecting to PC

This is a discussion on Upgraded to 2.1, now no "USB Drive or Charge Only" message when connecting to PC within the Motorola Backflip Tech Issues / Bug Reports forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; MB300 Backflip w/firmware 2.1 SD Card worked fine with Media Link and the prompt for USB Drive or Charge Only always appeared on the phone ...

Thread: Upgraded to 2.1, now no "USB Drive or Charge Only" message when connecting to PC

Upgraded to 2.1, now no "USB Drive or Charge Only" message when connecting to PC

MB300 Backflip w/firmware 2.1

SD Card worked fine with Media Link and the prompt for USB Drive or Charge Only always appeared on the phone when connecting to WinXP PC while on 1.6. Tonight I upgraded to firmware 2.1 without incident but now I don't get the prompt for using as a USB drive when attaching to the same PC and while Drive E: shows as Removable Disk in My Computer like it did previously, I can't explore same. ("Please insert a disk in Drive E:")

I've unmounted the drive via phone Settings, removed and reseated, power cycled both the PC and phone to no avail. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm up for them at this point.

Additional info: Since original post, I've researched somewhat similar occurrences and responses, some of which indicated that an SD card format might be in order. Did that. No change. Tried a factory reset. No change. The phone knows it's connected to the PC via USB, the card is identified with space information available in Settings and the PC recognizes the connection, I'm just not getting the "Charge only" or "USB drive" options when attached.

Still Stumped in Droidville

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I had experienced this once when upgrading a phone to 2.1. If I remember though, a factory reset resolved the issue. Not sure what else to suggest really. You could try reflashing the phone or using RSDlite to flash the 2.1 .sbf image.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Well, I guess I learn something new every day. Spent a few days researching this (and the suggested reflashing, which didn't look at all pleasant). Even tried renaming the initial upgrade file to see if I could fool the thing into a reinstall that way. (I couldn't.) Had the thing plugged into the PC to charge while doing some more research when a Notification alert sounded for new email. Lo and behold, there in Notifications was one related to "USB Drive." Clicked on that and found what used to show up on the home screen when the device was plugged into a PC, complete with options for Charger Only or USB drive.

I guess they changed the process on the upgraded OS or something, although I think it was a bit quicker when it showed up on the home screen.

At any rate, all is well, the new version seems to have extended the battery life somewhat and I'm good to go. I appreciate the suggestions offered.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links