Backflip Sabotaged?

This is a discussion on Backflip Sabotaged? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I followed the Backflip, not because I think it is a good phone, quite to the contrary, I am fairly sure that the initial registration ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backflip Sabotaged?

Unhappy Backflip Sabotaged?

I followed the Backflip, not because I think it is a good phone, quite to the contrary, I am fairly sure that the initial registration of this domain will outlive the phone itself, since I see massive returns in its future thanks to keyboard problems.

That being said, I think the phone is being unfairly sabotaged by at&t (Apple??). I mean are we living in a parallel universe where Verizon allows a SmartPhone on its network without messing with it (too much), but now at&t seems intent on loading the already underpowered Backflip down with crapware?

And change all the default search information to Yahoo! ? Really?

Why use the included Google Nav that is freely available for the phone when you can install the at&t Nav which you can charge a fee for? (It really is starting to sound like the old Verizon... isn't it?)

The Backflip's backtrack is the interesting feature here, but is that alone enough to overcome what at&t has done to hobble this phone?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Admin
    The good thing is that if only a few of the really knowledgeable hackers get ahold of the phone they'll be able to do whatever they want with it. The Android OS really is a pretty neat thing and since it's based on Linux there is alot of knowledge out there floating around about it.

I do agree that the CPU needs to be a bit faster in the phone to really take advantage of the OS. I like the design of the Backflip, just needs more horsepower

Well, I have a problem with the hardware design itself with the outward facing keyboard, which I believe will keep a lot of "knowledgeable hacker" types away from this phone. That leaves the crowd that could or would potentially step up from a texting feature phone. These people are not going to be the type that would (in general) drop a new ROM on their phone. On the one hand, for the texting types that are not going to stress the phone all that much, there might be enough horsepower in it already. On the other hand, they are getting a bastardized version of Android (to say the least).

I said some time back (On the DroidForums), I though at&t was going to do what it could to protect the iPhone from Android and was going to basically help make it fail (for them). By doing what they did to this phone, it only strengthens that suspicion. Because for the price, you could have this broken version of Android... or you could have the iPhone 3G, without all the bloat. Seems to me, they only want to sell more iPhones.

Admin
    AT&T would be wise to get some serious competition for the iPhone going because they are going to lose the exclusive eventually. Apple would be dumb to keep it with AT&T forever. IMHO.

Well, rumors are now that exclusivity is now through 2011, which would mean not seeing an iPhone on another carrier until 2012... which is a lifetime in this market... so apparently whatever at&t is doing, is keeping Apple happy (for now).

I agree that it would seem that the only logical move for at&t would be get some other phones and not bank so much or so hard on the iPhone... but then again, they actually believe those Luke Wilson commercials aren't pathetic... so...

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Well, rumors are now that exclusivity is now through 2011, which would mean not seeing an iPhone on another carrier until 2012... which is a lifetime in this market... so apparently whatever at&t is doing, is keeping Apple happy (for now).

I agree that it would seem that the only logical move for at&t would be get some other phones and not bank so much or so hard on the iPhone... but then again, they actually believe those Luke Wilson commercials aren't pathetic... so...
    Each one I see is painful, trying so hard and failing miserably

The verizon commercials are so much better. And I used to have respect for Luke Wilson. They much be paying him a s**t load.

Maybe not... a quick glance at his IMDB page and what he has been doing lately puts him at the intersection of Has Been and Never Was.

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Maybe not... a quick glance at his IMDB page and what he has been doing lately puts him at the intersection of Has Been and Never Was.
    Touche good sir

C2k
    I dont know, I think the backflip has a lot of potential. With a better processor and battery, and android 2.x, it would out-do a lot of phones on the market. Its a really innovative phone, the keyboard is really tough and if you look at it, the exterior is all one piece (means liquids and such cant ruin the keyboard so easily) Moto blur is awesome with this phone, too. Its not an IPhone, if you want an IPhone buy an IPhone. The stupid ATT "crapware," yeah its annoying but pretty much every ATT phone has that. And the yahoo search bar sucks anyway, it takes up too much space. Getting an app called open search is an extremely easy alternative, it takes up a 1x1 space and a single click opens up a google search bar. Dont forget, the android OS relies on the marketplace just like the iphone.

I understand everyone is freaking out about these things, but a lot of them arent really a big deal. Id say the biggest thing is the processor, my phone is running fine off 1.5 OS. Bottom line: it could use work, but its got the most innovative features Ive seen in a phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links