So, the real question is...

This is a discussion on So, the real question is... within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Originally Posted by JayMonster You are starting from a false premise. The Backflip and the Droid are NOT the same phones... not by any stretch ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, the real question is...

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    You are starting from a false premise.

The Backflip and the Droid are NOT the same phones... not by any stretch of the imagination.

The Droid outshines the Backflip in each and every comparable category. Yes, the backflip has that back side swipe thing... a solution, in search of a problem... but that would be it.

The Droid has

a better processor
    higher screen resolution
    larger screen
    more memory
    is running Android 2.0 not 1.5
    is not slowed down by Motoblur

The Backflip is the "SmartPhone" answer to a "Feature Phone" and would be more comparable to the enV Touch (Verizon) or Samsung Mythic (at&t) than it is to the Droid, iPhone, Nexus One, etc.
    I'm going to have to correct you on this. The Droid does not have more internal memory. Yes, it does come with a 16gb SD card but it has the same amount of ROM and RAM as the Backflip. Also, the included SD is only a Class 2. I wouldn't use anything but a Class 6 at this point. This will be more important if you decide to root and use Apps2SD. Class 6 is much faster than Class 2.

As far as the processor, the Droid is running a better processor but is seriously underclocked at 600mhz. Once rooted there are a lot of people overclocking it to between 800-1000mhz.

I have both phones. I replaced my work phone with a Droid last week. I have always used Blackberries for work but decided to get the Droid and use ActiveSync. I returned a BB Storm 2 (POS) to get the Droid. It is a very nice phone once it's rooted. But, it doesn't do anything better than the Backflip (but it is rooted and running 2.1) for me. Using both devices side-by-side it's hard to see any major performance advantage on the Droid. I actually prefer the Backflip over the Droid for several reasons.

The main reason I would have to say is the keyboard. MotoBlur is a close second. I am so used to MotoBlur at this point that it would take something really great for me to replace it. I also prefer the more narrow design of the Backflip as it just feels better in the hand. The Backflip has a much better camera app than the droid. The Droid seems to just be using the standard camera app from Android. Finally, the Backflip is much better looking than the Droid. IMO, the Droid is actually kind of an ugly duckling.

I have owned three iPhones and I can't tell you how many times I wanted to chuck the device out the window or in to the garbage disposal. The limits and locks that Apple has on the device are just too much for me to deal with. I truly hate iTunes and I hate the notification system (it's not really a system at all) on the iPhone.

For me, the Backflip is easily my favorite smartphone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    OK, well meanwhile, back at the ranch....
    Went into my local AT&T purveyer and was playing with the backflip. The manager there did some "magic" and I now am the proud owner of a backflip!!! Can't wait to give it a good workout. I figured I had nothing much to lose. I have 30 days to test drive and if I hate it, I can always return it. So I'm looking forward to playing with my new phone!
    What the rep might not have told you, as they sure in the hell didnt tell me is the 30 days only takes affect from the original purchase date. So, for example, if your on your second phone, but its outside of the 30days of the original purchase you will not be bale to return it in store.

No offense to the AT&T Employees but I f*in HATE AT&T. Absolute worst customer service ever. Sadly Sprints reliability in my area is horrible, and Verizon doesnt carry very many good phones, and there plans are a bit short sided minute wise compared to AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by TechN9ne1730 View Post
    What the rep might not have told you, as they sure in the hell didnt tell me is the 30 days only takes affect from the original purchase date. So, for example, if your on your second phone, but its outside of the 30days of the original purchase you will not be bale to return it in store.

No offense to the AT&T Employees but I f*in HATE AT&T. Absolute worst customer service ever. Sadly Sprints reliability in my area is horrible, and Verizon doesnt carry very many good phones, and there plans are a bit short sided minute wise compared to AT&T.
    That's actually what I thought it was anyway, 30 days no matter what. That's why I exchanged it 2 weeks into it (today), I'll give it another week or so and see if I want to return it altogether...I have until the 10th.

Verizon and Sprint are the same way during the trial period.

Quote Originally Posted by batmania15 View Post
    If you have an ipod touch then I would not even bother with the Iphone.

I have done exhaustive research this past week and the above from batmania is one thing that I kept going back too. I have an ipod touch and really I don't see the point in getting the iPhone , so it's the Backflip then.

This site since I joined today has been a great help and I feel confident that I am going to make a great purchase with the backflip tomorrow.

I find the power button/lock button a bit of a nuisance, and couldnt agree more that the iphone is a bit easier to unlock.

In terms of physical design, I find the flip design a bit awkward, but having a physical keyboard is great none the less. I have never been able to stand the on screen keyboard of the iphone, perhaps due to having big fingers.
    You can always unlock by opening the keyboard which you are most likely gonna do anyways, just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddarbob41 View Post
    You can always unlock by opening the keyboard which you are most likely gonna do anyways, just sayin.
    Good point.

What's funny is I don't use the keyboard half as much as I thought I would. And that was one of the selling points when I got this phone!!

Quote Originally Posted by montREALady View Post
    Good point.

What's funny is I don't use the keyboard half as much as I thought I would. And that was one of the selling points when I got this phone!!
    Oh well i use the hell outta my keyboard it gets used just about everytime i use my phone. I love my keyboard lol. My friend tried to get me to like the swype keyboard but its just too skinny. Still tryin to get used to that i only really use it when i'm in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddarbob41 View Post
    Oh well i use the hell outta my keyboard it gets used just about everytime i use my phone. I love my keyboard lol. My friend tried to get me to like the swype keyboard but its just too skinny. Still tryin to get used to that i only really use it when i'm in a hurry.
    I think what it is is either I'm so used to a non-QWERTY keyboard and just texting on the normal keypad with one hand that it has become habit or most of the time, I'm just sending a quick text and can only use one hand. I dunno, lol. But I do love it and the fact that I have the option to use it!

C2k
    Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post
    I'm going to have to correct you on this. The Droid does not have more internal memory. Yes, it does come with a 16gb SD card but it has the same amount of ROM and RAM as the Backflip. Also, the included SD is only a Class 2. I wouldn't use anything but a Class 6 at this point. This will be more important if you decide to root and use Apps2SD. Class 6 is much faster than Class 2.

As far as the processor, the Droid is running a better processor but is seriously underclocked at 600mhz. Once rooted there are a lot of people overclocking it to between 800-1000mhz.

Using both devices side-by-side it's hard to see any major performance advantage on the Droid. I actually prefer the Backflip over the Droid for several reasons.

The main reason I would have to say is the keyboard. MotoBlur is a close second. I am so used to MotoBlur at this point that it would take something really great for me to replace it. I also prefer the more narrow design of the Backflip as it just feels better in the hand.

For me, the Backflip is easily my favorite smartphone yet.

Agreed on pretty much every point. One thing in the Droids defense, I did pretty extensive research on the processor. We are running at 524Mhz or something close to that, and the droid is running 600 Mhz. The Droids processor uses a different technology that basically makes it comparable with the iphone processor.

In the backflips defense, I can fit two droid keyboards in my one. The backflip has a much more roomy keyboard, way more features, and runs really smoothly. 2 for 100$($50 a piece) vs. $200 is a winner hands down.

Also, motoblur is awesome. It doesnt really slow the phone down at all. My friend has a Droid and loves her phone, but she is definitely jealous of the lack of features.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links