So, the real question is...

This is a discussion on So, the real question is... within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; OK - I've been with AT&T forever and can upgrade my phone as of the 30th of this month. I've been doing much shopping and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, the real question is...

Question So, the real question is...

OK - I've been with AT&T forever and can upgrade my phone as of the 30th of this month. I've been doing much shopping and reading about smartphones for the past month or so.

I think I have narrowed things down to either the backflip or the iPhone and staying with AT&T or changing to Verizon and going with the droid (realizing that the backflip and the droid are nearly identical).

Does anyone have any experience between these 3 options -- I know this is a backflip forum, but I'm really trying to figure out what my best option is and am interested in input from those who know more than I do.

Appreciate any help or advice you might have to offer.

Portia

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    OK - I've been with AT&T forever and can upgrade my phone as of the 30th of this month. I've been doing much shopping and reading about smartphones for the past month or so.

I think I have narrowed things down to either the backflip or the iPhone and staying with AT&T or changing to Verizon and going with the droid (realizing that the backflip and the droid are nearly identical).

Does anyone have any experience between these 3 options -- I know this is a backflip forum, but I'm really trying to figure out what my best option is and am interested in input from those who know more than I do.

Appreciate any help or advice you might have to offer.

Portia
    Welcome to the forums!!

Ok well I came from an Iphone and went to the Backflip. The Iphone is a great device but lacks alot of features that you can only get if you jailbreak it. There's really no customization to the OS at all. Other feature I've noticed I missed now that I'm on the backflip is an actual physical keyboard. I cant believe how long i've been without one and now that I have one again it's great.

The backflip is a great phone for the droid experience. The biggest different between the backflip and verizons droid is the size in screen and the android version there running. The droid is running the newest version which includes alot more apps and google navigation. BUT the backflip will be getting this update shortly very shortly so it will be almost comparable (except for the size of the screen) Also the Backflip does have other features that the Droid does not like the backtrack mouse pad and motoblur.

I would say the biggest decision would be between the Iphone and Backflip (if you want to stay with AT&T) If you have an ipod touch then I would not even bother with the Iphone.

Agreed there! I have an iPod Touch - no need for an iPhone. I do love my iPod but not enough to duplicate it into a phone.

My mother has the first series iPhone - personally I didn't like it after she got it. Seemed like you couldn't do your basic phone tasks like receive MMS unless they e-mailed it to you. I did hear tho that the newer iPhones were MMS capable now, so that's cool! Pretty much I hate texting on the iPhone. It's just irritating. I prefer the "real" keyboard, tho, if you are in a hurry you can still text on the touch screen with the Backflip, it is just really narrow looking.

I suggest going to the store and actually playing around with the display models with your basic every day tasks in both and see how you like them. I hope you enjoy your decision either way! =)

OK, well meanwhile, back at the ranch....
    Went into my local AT&T purveyer and was playing with the backflip. The manager there did some "magic" and I now am the proud owner of a backflip!!! Can't wait to give it a good workout. I figured I had nothing much to lose. I have 30 days to test drive and if I hate it, I can always return it. So I'm looking forward to playing with my new phone!

I have to agree with batmania on this one

apple made a phone? Wow, i remember playing Oregon trail on one of those things a few years back... they must have made some sweet upgrades...

I bet i will still die of dysentery… I always die of dysentery

You are starting from a false premise.

The Backflip and the Droid are NOT the same phones... not by any stretch of the imagination.

The Droid outshines the Backflip in each and every comparable category. Yes, the backflip has that back side swipe thing... a solution, in search of a problem... but that would be it.

The Droid has

a better processor
    higher screen resolution
    larger screen
    more memory
    is running Android 2.0 not 1.5
    is not slowed down by Motoblur

The Backflip is the "SmartPhone" answer to a "Feature Phone" and would be more comparable to the enV Touch (Verizon) or Samsung Mythic (at&t) than it is to the Droid, iPhone, Nexus One, etc.

People's feeling about backflip vs I phone vs Droid must depend on their use of phone...backflip has a bit smaller screen but having a physical keyboard and backtrack makes smaller screen not as bit of an issue...having said that I would have taken a heavier phone if screen and keyboard bigger, wouldn't want a thicker phone, but at little wider and taller would have been nice.

I've never had a smart phone before but have used my partner's Iphone a lot and also the BB Storm (yuk). The main reason I got the backflip was the physical keyboard but the thing I notice is how much I use the backtrack and miss it when I grab the Iphone. I didn't think I'd care about the backtrack, but I do use it a lot as it is a more exact, easy way to navigate, and highlights specific links, so I don't have to zoom in to touch proper spot. I like the backtrack so much, I wish could use it when phone is in vertical, tall orientation, as I find myself sometimes grabbing a flipped open phone by the keyboard in my left hand I start to try to navigate with the backtrack with my right hadn but screen is still in rotated to horizontal mode...I find this hand arrangement for plain quick navigating or phone operations appealing (over course horizontal better for texting)

Anyway, I suppose if you want to really load up on apps and are a major video consumer on your phone, a bigger screen would be the way to go, but I find this phone does all the things I have used on Iphone nicely and things are 90 percent as intuitive as Iphone, the camera and video are nice, and I like the functionality of of the physical keyboard and backtrack compared to Iphone. I don't use a ton of apps, so can't speak to the power issues.

One thing I like about Iphone compared to my backtrack is the start up mode...Iphone you just touch screen and do the screen unlock and your running...with backtrack have to push button on top of phone and then touch screen to unlock...I find top button pushing to wake up phone way more clunky than touching Iphone screen and really, more of a pain that flipping open my ancient flip phone...to make it a bit easier I turn off screen lock, seems unnecessary if only way to wake phone is to push button first, still button annoys me...

To me, phone would be perfect hand down best for my use if it had following, a tich bigger screen (I can handle it being a bit wider and taller and a bit more weight) and it had a way to touch screen to wake rather than button

I find the power button/lock button a bit of a nuisance, and couldnt agree more that the iphone is a bit easier to unlock.

In terms of physical design, I find the flip design a bit awkward, but having a physical keyboard is great none the less. I have never been able to stand the on screen keyboard of the iphone, perhaps due to having big fingers.

I've also been looking at the same phones. I've been an iPhone user for the past couple of years and as a Mac user have found it quite good. There are things I would like done better but on the whole the iPhone has been great. I tried out a G1 a little while ago and was less than impressed with Android and tried a custom rom but couldn't find a good 1.5 that worked well enough to use so I dumped it.

I'm currently using a (work supplied) HTC HD2 WinMo 6.5 which is a nice phone. The screen is awesome which is why I've been looking at the Milestone (Droid). I've just bought my partner a backflip so I'll see what this one is like. I really like the idea of Blur as I like easy notifications including social network stuff. I would really like to see Android 2.1 on the Backflip tho.

I think I'll plod along with the HD2 for a little while unless my partner hates the backflip and I take it over to play. Will let you know how it all pans out.

Been enjoying the read so far. Looking forward to keeping up to date on this phone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links