Battery Management: can't turn 3G off?

This is a discussion on Battery Management: can't turn 3G off? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; So I'm delving into Android, this one being my first, and I found a lot of good ways to extend battery life. I'm using toggle ...

Thread: Battery Management: can't turn 3G off?

Battery Management: can't turn 3G off?

So I'm delving into Android, this one being my first, and I found a lot of good ways to extend battery life.
    I'm using toggle widgets to control WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and brightness, and I adjusted how often it syncs with email, then turned off sync with calendar and stuff I don't use.
    But on of the biggest items that's supposed to save battery is turning off 3G when you want, and it appears that ability in Android has been disabled on this phone!
    Is this another way AT&T has limited the Backflip?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by mcpweev View Post
    So I'm delving into Android, this one being my first, and I found a lot of good ways to extend battery life.
    I'm using toggle widgets to control WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and brightness, and I adjusted how often it syncs with email, then turned off sync with calendar and stuff I don't use.
    But on of the biggest items that's supposed to save battery is turning off 3G when you want, and it appears that ability in Android has been disabled on this phone!
    Is this another way AT&T has limited the Backflip?
    From what I heard this is true you can not turn it off yet, but still looking into this.

At this time there is no option to disable 3g. Hopefully with the next update there will be.

You can turn off 3G with app "Quick Setting". It also allows setting of other things: wifi, gps, brightness, sound level, etc. The app is free.

Just a quick question, if you're in an area that isn't blessed with 3G coverage, does it matter if 3G is on? Unfortunately I can only pick up Edge here.

If theres no 3g coverage you can turn it off, just remember you will need to turn it back on in 3G capable area for faster data transfers.

What I meant though, is if there isn't any 3G, would I save power by turning 3G off? Or since the phone is only using Edge anyway, would it make a difference?

Not sure why folks are saying you can turn off 3G on this phone. Right now, you cannot do that. It is defaulted to "auto" and the function to allow manually turning it off is disabled in this release of Android. It has been stated on other forums that this feature may be enabled in a later release of Android to be updated on the Backflip at some point in the future.

Personally, I'd love to turn off 3g, as I got much better battery life on my previous Nokia N95 with 3G turned off. Though, to be honest, battery life has not been that bad for me with this phone at all. I just put it on the charger this morning, and the last time I had it on the charger was Monday afternoon.

Seriously, if someone has been able to actually turn off 3G on this phone, please detail what you did. And yes, I tried the "Quick Setting" application, but that only lets you turn off "Mobile Data" using 3G or Edge...not 3G in general which would include voice calls.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    It's my understanding that when you are in an area where there is spotty 3G coverage and strong 2G coverage you will get better call quality using 2G. The newer phones always try to connect to 3G regardless of the quality if reception.

So - if you are on 2G your phone keeps trying to find a 3G tower to connect to causing more battery use.

The two reasons that people want to turn off 3G is for potentially better call quality and to save the battery by disabling the search for a 3G signal/tower.

I tried Quick Settings and as hooligan states it does not allow you to turn off 3G.

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    I've notice a great deal in battery conservation turning off the google sync and background data as someone else had mention somewhere in a thread.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links