Battery Life

This is a discussion on Battery Life within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; That's interesting that you can charge a dead battery from a PC. I have not been able to do that from multiple PC's and the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life

That's interesting that you can charge a dead battery from a PC. I have not been able to do that from multiple PC's and the Motorola Rep told the store that a very low battery will not charge from a PC.

You two must be some of the lucky ones! :-)

I just took my phone off a full wall charge. I will let you know what performance I get today.

I had the issue of a "very bad battery life" when I first got the phone. After day 3, I ended up doing a factory reset. Since then, my battery life has improved greatly. Right now, my Backflip has been off the charger since 7am on Saturday, and it is showing 58% battery life left. Now, my phone use over the weekend is pretty low. I checked emails every so often, and did a few web searches, and made two short calls lasting less than 2 minutes each.

I believe the factory reset makes a difference. Why...not sure...but it does seem to help. And like you, I also deleted all the Motoblur widgets. Google sync is on, but only for contacts, as I don't use the calendar or the mail client. (my gmail account forwards to my other personal account). Location based services are off, as are Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi..etc. I turn them on as needed. For my company email, I use Touchdown, but have it sync every 15 minutes, Monday through Friday only. I manually check it on the weekend.

Oh, and since the factory reset, my phone has been up for 19 days. I have not powered it down for any reason, and it has not rebooted. And to add to my weekend use, I also used the camera for about 10 photos.

Glad to see everything is working out for you. Curious did you have any 3rd party apps installed prior to your factory reset, they could have been a contributor to your experiences as well.

I have 9 lockerz invites if interested PM me.

only a task manager, which seemed to be doing bad things. I tried stopping some system services, which was a bad move and broke a few things. The factory reset resolved those issues, and I didn't reinstall the task manager.

Quote Originally Posted by clivesay View Post
    2. I took off both Facebook widgets and the newsfeeds. They are cool gadgets but really I don't need to see my status on my phone or the people's continous status. I also removed the text message widget. There is a Facebook app and you get all your notifications for FB, Gmail, Txt in the upper bar anyway. Plus, just hold down the home key and a shortcut to all recent apps are displayed.
    Did you just drag them into the trash? Is that how you remove widgets?

Quote Originally Posted by clivesay View Post
    That's interesting that you can charge a dead battery from a PC. I have not been able to do that from multiple PC's and the Motorola Rep told the store that a very low battery will not charge from a PC.

You two must be some of the lucky ones! :-)

I just took my phone off a full wall charge. I will let you know what performance I get today.
    I know I've charged mine on my PC when it was less than 15% and after that warning.

I just did several tests on battery usage. My Backflip is about 3 days old. I exchanged my old one for a new one.

I had these off: GPS, Bluetooth

I had these on: wifi, auto-sync, Mobile data, also gmail, browser, G map on background.

The battery started on 90%. After 1 hour of idling, it was 85%.

Then I charged the phone back to 90%, and turned off background apps, wifi, auto-sync. After 1 hour of idling, it was again 85%.

So it seems to me that those common battery saving practices are not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
    I believe the factory reset makes a difference. Why...not sure...but it does seem to help.
    The reason it seems to help, imo, is the phone, fresh from the store, starts off in a demo mode if you will with all those widgets preloaded on the desktop. Remember/Notice after a factory reset your default home screen has about 3 shortcuts on it rather then all those gadgets that require internet connection? Its my assumption these widgets continue to draw updates in the background when they shouldnt. Doing a factory reset fixes this.

Google sync is on, but only for contacts, as I don't use the calendar or the mail client.
    This shouldnt matter. Google sync, by my observations rarely updates. The other day I noticed that in settings it said google synch last updated at 8AM. It was around Noon when I looked at it. Thats a 5 hour period google did not update, so I am convinced this isnt needed to disable in regards to battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by montREALady View Post
    Did you just drag them into the trash? Is that how you remove widgets?
    Yes it is, but others said the best thing to do is perform a factory reset from the start. And you can use the multi-quote button to select multiple posts to quote at once rather then one at a time and double posting.

I still recommend the Advanced Task Killer app. It's really amazing to look and see what all it has "killed" when you aren't using your phone.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links