1st 24 Hours...

This is a discussion on 1st 24 Hours... within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I got my Backflip yesterday, so have been playing with it for 24 hours now. I was previously using an iPhone for the past 3 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st 24 Hours...

Cool 1st 24 Hours...

I got my Backflip yesterday, so have been playing with it for 24 hours now. I was previously using an iPhone for the past 3 years (original iPhone first, then an iPhone 3G). I've been wanting to try Android for a while, and this is my first experience with it. Here are my impressions so far:

Android OS - I like Android pretty well so far. Different from the iPhone OS, but not hard to pick up/figure out.

Battery - Not impressed, and definitely not as good as iPhone. I made a few adjustments to some things and installed that app killer app. Hopefully this will help some.

Virtual/touchscreen keyboard - Not quite as easy to use as the iPhone keyboard, I think because the keys are smaller...most likely due to the smaller screen. May get better as I get used to it.

Physical keyboard - I find myself frequently pressing the wrong key by accident on the physical keyboard. I believe it's due to it being a "membrane" keyboard. It's flat, with basically no real noticeable division (by feel) between the keys. May also get better as I get used to it, but I think I would have preferred a "regular" non-membrane keyboard.

Responsiveness - Seems fine. I haven't noticed any lag or anything.

Backtrack - Very interesting feature, but I haven't found myself using it much so far.

Motoblur - Pretty cool, and I like it.

Syncing - I'm a Mac...and this phone doesn't sync certain things as nicely as the iPhone did. The Address Book on Mac doesn't have a built-in way to export contacts as a CSV, so getting my contacts to the Backflip from my Mac was a little convoluted. I have iCal on my Mac synced with my Google Calendar, so no problems with bringing in my calendar.

Contact Overload!!! - The amount of contacts that are on my Backflip after I got Facebook and everything else setup is unbelievable! My Gmail account has a TON of contacts in it, most of which I don't send e-mails to/contact. As a matter of fact, I can't recall a time when I've ever used the contacts in my Gmail. I think a lot of them are there to prevent certain e-mails from going into the spam folder in Gmail. I setup my Motoblur contacts with contacts that are in the "iPhone Contacts" section of Address Book on my Mac, and select my Motoblur contacts when I want to look up someone. Looking at ALL contacts is just way too much stuff!

Apps that won't use Wi-Fi??? Really??? - I'm TOTALLY baffled by this one. I know AT&T has complaints of an overloaded network in some areas, and they want to ease congestion on their network...so why, oh why do several of the apps they have pre-installed on the phone require the mobile network and won't work at all over Wi-Fi???? You can't use these certain apps at all unless you have Wi-Fi disabled! One is the instant messenger app. There's really no reason why they couldn't allow these apps to use Wi-Fi when Wi-Fi is available.

Signal - I've noticed on several occasions that a better signal is shown by the signal indicator when the phone is flipped open rather than closed. However, I haven't noticed any problems at all so far with dropped calls or data issues...even when the signal indicator is showing zero bars. Maybe some type of bug with the signal indicator?

Voicemail - AT&T's visual voicemail system is separate from their "regular" voicemail system. When I switched from iPhone to Backflip, AT&T's system didn't automatically switch me from the visual voicemail system to "regular" voicemail, and I ended up with NO voicemail. People calling me couldn't leave any messages, and when I called voicemail it didn't recognize me. I logged into my account on the AT&T web site to see if I could fix it myself, but had no options for voicemail. A quick call to customer service got everything straightened out.

Right now I'm still on the fence with this phone. I have 30 days to return it, so I'm going to continue using it a little while longer before I make a decision on whether to keep it or return it. There are some things I miss about the iPhone, but there are things I like about this one. And I can't beat the one cent price I paid for it at Amazon.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scots View Post
    Virtual/touchscreen keyboard - Not quite as easy to use as the iPhone keyboard, I think because the keys are smaller...most likely due to the smaller screen. May get better as I get used to it.
    One thing about the Android Os is that you can easily change what you don't like. I use SlideIt Lite from the market as a virtual keyboard.

Backtrack - Very interesting feature, but I haven't found myself using it much so far.
    I use it when I am reading a long page. I can slowly scroll the text as I read.

Contact Overload!!! - The amount of contacts that are on my Backflip after I got Facebook and everything else setup is unbelievable! My Gmail account has a TON of contacts in it, most of which I don't send e-mails to/contact. As a matter of fact, I can't recall a time when I've ever used the contacts in my Gmail. I think a lot of them are there to prevent certain e-mails from going into the spam folder in Gmail. I setup my Motoblur contacts with contacts that are in the "iPhone Contacts" section of Address Book on my Mac, and select my Motoblur contacts when I want to look up someone. Looking at ALL contacts is just way too much stuff!
    Google needs a setting for syncing on a group by group basis or an 'exclude from sync' check box. Then you could choose which you really need on your phone. Actually, this setting should be available on all types of contacts.

Voicemail - AT&T's visual voicemail system is separate from their "regular" voicemail system. When I switched from iPhone to Backflip, AT&T's system didn't automatically switch me from the visual voicemail system to "regular" voicemail, and I ended up with NO voicemail. People calling me couldn't leave any messages, and when I called voicemail it didn't recognize me. I logged into my account on the AT&T web site to see if I could fix it myself, but had no options for voicemail. A quick call to customer service got everything straightened out.
    I am trying google voice with my backflip number. So far I like it, but I don't get many voice mails.

You can easily filter the contacts by pressing on the screen where it says "all contacts" and choosing the sync service you have your most common contacts syncing from.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post
    You can easily filter the contacts by pressing on the screen where it says "all contacts" and choosing the sync service you have your most common contacts syncing from.
    I don't use the motoblur social networking, but I do have close to 400 contacts in my gmail contacts. On the phone I added groups for family and friends. There is also a built-in favorites group and you can add numbers to the speed dial tab in the dialer.

The dialer will open on the tab it was on when closed and contacts will open in the last group viewed. (until you restart the phone)

OK...I've used cell phones for 14 years, and have used pretty much every type and brand of phone. This Backflip has the absolute WORST battery of any cell phone I've ever used. I've adjusted settings, removed most of the widgets that pull in things throughout the day, installed and have been using the app killer app, and the battery still sucks.

After being off the charger for 12 hours I got a message on the screen that I only had 5% battery left and that I should charge it ASAP. Want to know what all I did with the phone in those 12 hours? Almost NOTHING. I did not place or receive any phone calls at all, I did not browse the internet, I sent and received about 6 text messages, and read (but did not send) about 30 e-mails. That's all. That's pretty pathetic.

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    Yeah this is by far the worst battery life I've had for a phone. No Argument there. I've just have a charger at home, work and car to keep the battery life going. Don't really have much choice.

I really think there is a bug in the Google syncing with this phone. I had battery issues until I disabled syncing with Google. I did not remove any widgets or change anything else on the phone and I'm getting 18 hours of battery and I'm using the device a lot.

Agreed. You can greatly improve the battery life by either A) putting the phone in battery saving profile full time or B) disabling the Google Sync.

Battery saving mode should allow you to go at least a day on a charge, but it does turn off the data about 30 minutes after the phone locks.

i have data turning off after 15 and only syncing gmail, even set like that my email is received as normal. *shrug* i guess sync can turn data back on as needed and im sure blur does too.

I don't believe it does, as long as the phone is locked. If you unlock and use the phone, the data gets turned back on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links