Motorola Backflip or Palm Pre Plus?

This is a discussion on Motorola Backflip or Palm Pre Plus? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Hey if it were not for Palm and webOS I would have an Android phone right now, without question. Since I could not find the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola Backflip or Palm Pre Plus?

Hey if it were not for Palm and webOS I would have an Android phone right now, without question. Since I could not find the Backflip to be acceptable for my most basic needs, I would have to make it the Nexus One. But I would certainly be wishing for a keyboard. Perhaps the Motorola Milestone would have to be the phone for me.

But there is Palm and webOS. And if you look at the platform and what Palm is letting you do with it, that is right on par with Android. I am not a developer and do not know how to write a single line of code, but seeing as how there is astonishing homebrew support for webOS, I imagine that there is not much you could not do within (and sometimes beyond) the restrictions of the hardware.

I had my AT&T Pre Plus for a week, and so far I have managed to:

- Overclock the CPU to 800MHz
    - Control the LED for use as a flashlight
    - Successfully install and use the Verizon Pre Plus Mobile Hotspot
    - Control the keyboard and screen backlights from each other
    - Remove video size attachment limits in email
    - Monitor Battery and CPU temperatures
    - Download YouTube videos right to the phone for playback on the device
    - Take those youtube videos and make ringtones out of them
    - Install and manage applications that are not in the App Catalog without the help of a computer and cable

None of these things was I able to do with the Backflip. And I had that phone for a whole month. I only had the Pre for one week.

To be fair, naturally there were a couple things I was able to do with the Backflip that it was not able to do out of the box that I still have yet to do with the Pre, such as phone call recording. But that function was not rock solid like it was on my Centro. I also used the Backflip for barcode scanning. Palm just released the API for the camera and mic so it is only a matter of time.

I've always wanted the Palm Pre, but a few things made me reconsider. The biggest concern was applications. There is no denying that Palm OS has very little developer support compared to Android or the iPhone's App Store. Although Web OS already has many of the popular applications, I think that the Android Marketplace is superior. Perhaps if WebOS gained more popularity, more great applications would be introduced. But for now, it is sort of a weak system when it comes to development. I really hope that HP's purchase of Palm will change that, as I really do love the Palm Pre's software and hardware. Until then, Android is the way to go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by luke31 View Post
    I've always wanted the Palm Pre, but a few things made me reconsider. The biggest concern was applications. There is no denying that Palm OS has very little developer support compared to Android or the iPhone's App Store. Although Web OS already has many of the popular applications, I think that the Android Marketplace is superior. Perhaps if WebOS gained more popularity, more great applications would be introduced. But for now, it is sort of a weak system when it comes to development. I really hope that HP's purchase of Palm will change that, as I really do love the Palm Pre's software and hardware. Until then, Android is the way to go for me.
    I can understand your concern about developer support. Google licenses its operating system out to multiple manufacturers for free, while Palm only has webOS on its own devices. But then again, the same goes for the iPhone and currently has the largest app catalog.

While I can see where you would prefer Android over webOS in that regard, I do not see how you could prefer the Backflip over the Pre Plus

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    I can understand your concern about developer support. Google licenses its operating system out to multiple manufacturers for free, while Palm only has webOS on its own devices. But then again, the same goes for the iPhone and currently has the largest app catalog.

While I can see where you would prefer Android over webOS in that regard, I do not see how you could prefer the Backflip over the Pre Plus
    Hardware-wise there is no comparison... the Pre blows the Backflip out of the water. The decision was made purely on a software standpoint. I just love Android, and I've been wanting for an Android phone for ages. Also, I purchased the Backflip under the belief that it would get rooted, thus fixing some of its most pestering issues. Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen anytime soon. Times like this make me regret the purchase a little

Talking Palm Pre Plus vs Motorola Backflip

I am so happy to have found this forum. It has answered many of my concerns without me having to buy, try nor return one or the other.
    I have had Palm software devices since the "phone" was a feature with an attachment (Handspring & Tungsten E & T2). Then I had the Treo 650, 680, and lastly the Centro.

I have been holding on for the next big thing because I don't care for all the i-phone apps, being connected 24-7; but I love my good old faithful Palm. I love having a voice memo recorder, mp3 player, video and still camera, all the contact fields, calendar, etc.

I have been considering the M Backflip for about 6 months, but as I mentioned, I have no doubt now, I am getting the Palm Pre Plus!

Thank you for all your input!

Quote Originally Posted by YeseniaCV View Post
    I am so happy to have found this forum. It has answered many of my concerns without me having to buy, try nor return one or the other.
    I have had Palm software devices since the "phone" was a feature with an attachment (Handspring & Tungsten E & T2). Then I had the Treo 650, 680, and lastly the Centro.

I have been holding on for the next big thing because I don't care for all the i-phone apps, being connected 24-7; but I love my good old faithful Palm. I love having a voice memo recorder, mp3 player, video and still camera, all the contact fields, calendar, etc.

I have been considering the M Backflip for about 6 months, but as I mentioned, I have no doubt now, I am getting the Palm Pre Plus!

Thank you for all your input!
    Well you're a Palm fanboy, so of course you're gonna get a Pre Plus! But hey, I am a fanboy too and I am not ashamed to say it. I am amazed at the capabilities of this device every day, and it had big shoes to fill because I have been anticipating the phone for a year and a half. I had the Centro also and was running TealOS. I do not know if you are familiar with that or not, but it is the webOS emulator that got Tealpoint a C&D order from Palm. All the things you mentioned are already available to do in the Pre Plus.

Although I unashamedly make my preference clear, I think my OP lays it out as clearly and fairly as possible.

My question for you is, how can you not see how someone can pick the backflip over the pre plus. I have both and actually prefer the bf over the pre.

Battery life?? I dont know what you are talking about, my backflip beats my palm pre in battery any day.

Camera on the bacflip is better.

The backflip also has more applications and than the pre, and if it does get rooted, it will blow the pre out of the water IMO

Its all about personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by tae_254 View Post
    My question for you is, how can you not see how someone can pick the backflip over the pre plus. I have both and actually prefer the bf over the pre.

Battery life?? I dont know what you are talking about, my backflip beats my palm pre in battery any day.

Camera on the bacflip is better.

The backflip also has more applications and than the pre, and if it does get rooted, it will blow the pre out of the water IMO

Its all about personal preference.
    Battery life is a STUPID thing to ***** about on a smartphone. You are buying a mini-laptop, NOT a phone. If you want battery life, buy a feature/dumb phone. Simple as that.

Camera on the Backflip is FAR superior to the Pre's camera.

There are considerably more applications available on the Backflip already, and more growing day by day because Android is on all carriers and has been adopted across the board.

The one thing that I heavily considered before buying my Backflip was also the sale of Palm (the company) to HP recently. If I were a Pre user, I'd be pretty worried about my software updates and OS updates considering HP basically bought Palm so that they could put a modified WebOS on the HP Slate. Can't imagine that HP is too worried about developing for a piece of hardware that is ancient already in tech terms.

Quote Originally Posted by kamelonious View Post
    Can't imagine that HP is too worried about developing for a piece of hardware that is ancient already in tech terms.
    I have the B-flip, and while i love it I do have to point out that it too is ancient already in tech terms. aside from the 5mp camera, everything from the processor speed to the os version is outdated. especially when compared to the Nexus 1, most of the new HTC android phones, and the iphone 3gs (i absolutely hate the iphone). Not wanting to stir up trouble, just wanted to point that out.

I work for AT&T and have been waiting for an Android phone to come out for EVER! I went from the Blackberry Bold 9700 and now I use the Backflip, but honestly only because I won it in a sales contest from Motorola (and I am absolutely glad i did because its a great device). I wouldn't have bought it because i would have waited for another Android device to launch for us.

- Successfully install and use the Verizon Pre Plus Mobile Hotspot
    Can you post how you did that? Or possibly post a link to a thread that does? I'm very interested in finding out how to do this.

Thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links