Motoblur update frequency.. can I change it?

This is a discussion on Motoblur update frequency.. can I change it? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; In a never ending battle to get my Backflip to last me more than 24 hours a day on a charge, I managed to see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motoblur update frequency.. can I change it?

Motoblur update frequency.. can I change it?

In a never ending battle to get my Backflip to last me more than 24 hours a day on a charge, I managed to see some improvement after I dimmed the screen to %1 power and put it in permanent Battery Saver mode. I'm almost there.

My question now is: How much battery does Motoblur eat away at? I really like the sync of Facebook/Twitter/Email and I want it to continue to check on those but is there any way to tweak the frequency that Motoblur checks accounts? If it can save battery I wouldn't mind if it checked on them hourly.

I noticed that in Battery Saver mode there is a huge lag time in Motoblur checks to email/etc but I'd like more control over it.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Try turning off the google sync in the options. That eats ALOT of battery as well.

I have 9 lockerz invites if interested PM me.

I've heard people talk about Google Sync but I'm not sure what it does, can I continue to get Gmail from the preloaded Gmail ap without syncing?

Quote Originally Posted by Banstyle View Post
    I've heard people talk about Google Sync but I'm not sure what it does, can I continue to get Gmail from the preloaded Gmail ap without syncing?
    Yes, I've done it, just need to remember what I did :D

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    For those with battery issues please check:

menu->Settings->Location and compass

See if the box for "Use wireless networks" is checked. If turned on this setting will send location info to google even when there are no apps requiring it running. Each time your location is sent this way your location has to be triangulated with three towers and then the info sent. I believe this may be the culprit in draining the battery. I have never had this turned on on my phone.

I have google sync on and this setting off. I sync gmail, calendar, and contacts. I get 30-36 hours on a charge. I do not use any of the social networking apps/widgets. My screen brightness is at 50%.

I also switched to K9 mail, as it supports IMAP idle which gives you push e-mail for any account that supports IMAP. No polling at timed intervals.

The google sync for gmail, contacts, and calendar only actually sync when there is a change.

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    Well 5 hrs later since I've had the phone plugged in I'm at 61% battery life according the phone. That's with Motoblur running, email updates 15 mins full power setting, google sync turned off several 5 min phone calls, couple of text messaging and having background data turned on. I haven't had much problem with voice calls, but then again I used my blue tooth and speaker phone.

How do you turn off Google sync while leaving gmail/contact sync on?

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    For those with battery issues please check:

menu->Settings->Location and compass

See if the box for "Use wireless networks" is checked. If turned on this setting will send location info to google even when there are no apps requiring it running. Each timne your location is sent this way your location has to be triangulated with three towers and then the info sent. I believe this may be the culprit in draining the battery. I have never had this turned on on my phone.

I have google sync on and this setting off. I sync gmail, calendar, and contacts. I get 30-36 hours on a charge. I do not use any of the social networking apps/widgets. My screen brightness is at 50%.

I also switched to K9 mail, as it supports IMAP idle which gives you push e-mail for any account that supports IMAP. No polling at timed intervals.

The google sync for gmail, contacts, and calendar only actually sync when there is a change.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myFirstAndroid View Post
    How do you turn off Google sync while leaving gmail/contact sync on?
    ---------------------------------------
    Google sync:

menu->settings->Google synchronization

has settings for:

Background data
    Auto-sync
    and to turn on syncing for:

Gmail
    Calendar
    Contacts
    ---------------------------------

The setting under menu->Settings->Location & compass have nothing to do with google sync. The settings under Location & compass are for apps that use location services. If you enable the wireless networks setting you get a pop-up asking if you agree to let google collect "anonymous and aggregate location data" it states "Collection will occur regardless of wehter and applications are active." You can not enable "Use wireless networks" unless you agree to allow the collection of location data.

I think it is the data collection when "Use wireless networks" is enabled that is using battery resources that is why I suggested that someone who is having the battery drain problem check to see if it is off, and - if not - try turning it off.

My battery life isn't great but I am getting 1 1/2 days from a charge.

Battery Life Notes

Okay, I remember changing the frequency of how often my phone checks for updates on the homescreen, as in Facebook, email, etc... where is that again??

I found it, disregard...

Wait, where is it? This was my original question. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by montREALady View Post
    Okay, I remember changing the frequency of how often my phone checks for updates on the homescreen, as in Facebook, email, etc... where is that again??

I found it, disregard...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links