We may not have to wait for ATT to approve the upgrade

This is a discussion on We may not have to wait for ATT to approve the upgrade within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Very good read on how GOOGLE is going to stick it to the manufacturer's and carriers of there lovely ANDROID: Exclusive: Android Froyo to take ...

Thread: We may not have to wait for ATT to approve the upgrade

Exclamation We may not have to wait for ATT to approve the upgrade

Very good read on how GOOGLE is going to stick it to the manufacturer's and carriers of there lovely ANDROID:

Exclusive: Android Froyo to take a serious shot at stemming platform fragmentation -- Engadget

Looks like there's hope for us all in the VERY near future and we won't have to wait!!!

I have 9 lockerz invites if interested PM me.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

What version of Android does Backflip use (Froyo? Gingerbread?) Sorry if this is a newbie question.

Uses 1.5 which I believe is the Cupcake. Those version mentioned I don't exist yet

I have 9 lockerz invites if interested PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Banstyle View Post
    What version of Android does Backflip use (Froyo? Gingerbread?) Sorry if this is a newbie question.
    Sadly the Backflip is seriously behind on the OS. Cupcake being a year old now. Motorola has said that it is upgradeable to 2.1 but hasn't actually said if they will upgrade it.

That being said... I feel the Backflip is a solid device but could really benefit from 2.1. With the optimizations made in 2.1 it should make the Backflip run faster and have better battery life. Not to mention the updated browser and Flash.

From the article, Google is (rumored) going to just start detaching parts of Android from Android itself, and put them in the Market as Apps. That's nice and all, but the example they give, Maps for instance, is in the Market and won't run on older versions of Android. I still don't see this as actually fixing the problem.

Now, if they had said that Google would be implementing some kind of feature or override which would allow them to take responsibility for pushing out OTA updates, rather than the carriers, then I'd say we have a solution. As it is, I think this is only a partial fix.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    From the article, Google is (rumored) going to just start detaching parts of Android from Android itself, and put them in the Market as Apps. That's nice and all, but the example they give, Maps for instance, is in the Market and won't run on older versions of Android. I still don't see this as actually fixing the problem.

Now, if they had said that Google would be implementing some kind of feature or override which would allow them to take responsibility for pushing out OTA updates, rather than the carriers, then I'd say we have a solution. As it is, I think this is only a partial fix.
    Yeah, I agree. Also this wouldn't affect Backflip users anyway as the changes would be implemented in the newer OS versions meaning you'd have to have those versions to use the downloadable apps. On top of that I'm not sure how it fixes the fragmentation issue as eventually they have to stop developing for a specific version of the OS as to not invest too much time in an app. For example, to make maps work in this way currently they'd have to maintain a maps for Android 1.5, 1.6, 2.0 and 2.1. Eventually 1.5 would have to be dropped off the maintained list along with 1.6 etc.

Their idea is certainly better than nothing but it won't remotely fix fragmentation. There are still core pieces that go unchanged as well, like code optimizations for performance and battery life. But I guess all in all it's at least a step in the right direction.

Well, to be fair, and after thinking about this more, I do kind of see what they're aiming for. When people think of Android version X, many are really wanting a specific app or feature that is included with that version, not so much the behind the scenes changes that no one really hears about (speaking generally, here, I know there are some who are interested in the lesser changes).

By modularizing Android into separate apps they can allow people on different versions of Android to add those apps and gain those new features.

The problem here though, as Ambictus pointed out, is that it's difficult supporting several different versions of the same app, when the underlying Android may not support a function. Now, this may not be as great an issue if as the article stated, Google will be slowing down the rapid development pace of Android and there aren't as many major changes and breakages between Android releases (and this would be expected as the platform matures).

All in all, it would be a nice change, but it won't bring about the utopia that the articles proclaims.

Ads