GPS without AT&T Navigator

This is a discussion on GPS without AT&T Navigator within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I "bit the bullet" and bought ALK's CoPilot 8 for Android. Over the years I have run TomTom and Garmin on previous cellphones. CoPilot is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPS without AT&T Navigator

I "bit the bullet" and bought ALK's CoPilot 8 for Android. Over the years I have run TomTom and Garmin on previous cellphones. CoPilot is comparable. It has lots of features and a very polished interface. It does not speak commands as often as I like and (right now) does not offer text-to-speech (i.e., it doesn't read the names of roads you are about to turn onto, it just says "turn right ahead" or "turn left ahead"). I understand that this is an Android limitation and will go away when Android gets upgraded to 1.6 or 2.x. Even though Google navigation may come w/ 2.x, I bought CoPilot because it will run w/o a data connection (the 2GB database is stored on my SD card). I often go to Canada and need to be able to navigate around w/o using phone data. CoPilot costs $34.99 for a lifetime license (no monthly subscription fee). So, if you want voice navigation now, check out CoPilot. It has way too many features to even list here in the forums.

gwalborn

Quote Originally Posted by gwalborn View Post
    I "bit the bullet" and bought ALK's CoPilot 8 for Android. Over the years I have run TomTom and Garmin on previous cellphones. CoPilot is comparable. It has lots of features and a very polished interface. It does not speak commands as often as I like and (right now) does not offer text-to-speech (i.e., it doesn't read the names of roads you are about to turn onto, it just says "turn right ahead" or "turn left ahead"). I understand that this is an Android limitation and will go away when Android gets upgraded to 1.6 or 2.x. Even though Google navigation may come w/ 2.x, I bought CoPilot because it will run w/o a data connection (the 2GB database is stored on my SD card). I often go to Canada and need to be able to navigate around w/o using phone data. CoPilot costs $34.99 for a lifetime license (no monthly subscription fee). So, if you want voice navigation now, check out CoPilot. It has way too many features to even list here in the forums.

gwalborn

I've been looking for a navigator app that does all that. And I'm not willing to pay AT&T's $10 per month for it. :mad:

So CoPilot sounds pretty good. But I read a review of CoPilot over at the PCmag site (don't have the link handy or I'd put it in here for you, it's easy to find, tho). They basically said that, if you want 'cheap' and 'so so' performance then go with CoPilot.

The one comment they had that would be a 'deal breaker' for me was that they said it kept telling them to 'turn here' when they were already going by the street. That could be pretty annoying.

What's your experience with that? Is it late on giving you the directions to turn here and so forth?

Lendal,

i have read poor reports for CoPilot. I can agree to SOME extent. It is not a perfect solution, but it is quite usable and (I think) the price is right. One of my big criticisms is that it does not talk "often enough" for my liking. HOWEVER, there is a little "window" that shows the direction of the next turn and the distance to the next turn. In combination with that, the spoken directions are adequate. I have a Whistler GPS that "boinks" just as you should be turning. CoPilot says "JUST AHEAD" just before the turn and "TURN RIGHT" or "TURN LEFT" just as you should be turning. So when I hear "JUST AHEAD", I can pretty much figure the next possible turn is mine. Also, many of these distances are customizable. CoPilot has so many user settings that it is bewildering. It has many more user options than my Whistler, probably close to as many as TomTom (which, I believe, has quite a few).

Just for comparison, I paid $150 for TomTom for my Palm, $99 for Garmin on my Nokia, and $34.95 for CoPilot on the Backflip. By comparison it seems like a real bargain. Face it, you're getting a "lifetime" license for less than 4 months of AT&T navigator (and it may actually work BETTER). I don't know if AT&T requires a data connection to operate. Of course, some of CoPilot's features do not work offline. It has live traffic and some other features that require a data connection. I believe it will do navigation w/o such a connection, but I probably should test this theory before I espouse it. Just because I don't see WHY they would need a connection, I have never really attempted to use the device w/o such a connection. I'll give it a try this weekend and report back.

In summary, I'm sure CoPilot is not for everyone, but it is an option for many.

Gary

Lendal,

i have read poor reports for CoPilot. I can agree to SOME extent. It is not a perfect solution, but it is quite usable and (I think) the price is right. One of my big criticisms is that it does not talk "often enough" for my liking. HOWEVER, there is a little "window" that shows the direction of the next turn and the distance to the next turn. In combination with that, the spoken directions are adequate. I have a Whistler GPS that "boinks" just as you should be turning. CoPilot says "JUST AHEAD" just before the turn and "TURN RIGHT" or "TURN LEFT" just as you should be turning. So when I hear "JUST AHEAD", I can pretty much figure the next possible turn is mine. Also, many of these distances are customizable. CoPilot has so many user settings that it is bewildering. It has many more user options than my Whistler, probably close to as many as TomTom (which, I believe, has quite a few).

Just for comparison, I paid $150 for TomTom for my Palm, $99 for Garmin on my Nokia, and $34.95 for CoPilot on the Backflip. By comparison it seems like a real bargain. Face it, you're getting a "lifetime" license for less than 4 months of AT&T navigator (and it may actually work BETTER). I don't know if AT&T requires a data connection to operate. Of course, some of CoPilot's features do not work offline. It has live traffic and some other features that require a data connection. I believe it will do navigation w/o such a connection, but I probably should test this theory before I espouse it. Just because I don't see WHY they would need a connection, I have never really attempted to use the device w/o such a connection. I'll give it a try this weekend and report back.

In summary, I'm sure CoPilot is not for everyone, but it is an option for many.

Gary
    That's good information.

Thanks for sharing your experience, gwalborn.

I know that a lot of people think that 10 buxx a month is alot to pay for ATT Navigator. I use it and I love it. One thing that helped me justify the cost was the feature to find the cheapest prices on gas. I used it for 2 months and marked down the savings per gallon compared to the gas station that I usually go to and i realized that i saved about 20 to 25 buxx a month. It's worth it to me... but that's just my story.

Yesterday I tried CoPilot w/o a data connection. I can confirm it works in "airplane mode". Is there any other package (AT&T Navigator, for example) that will work w/ no data connection? That is a MUST for me.

Gary

I'm sure there are others out there but AT&T Navigator requires data. But unless u bought yours off of ebay, AT&T requires data plan with the backflip.

Yesterday I tried CoPilot w/o a data connection. I can confirm it works in "airplane mode". Is there any other package (AT&T Navigator, for example) that will work w/ no data connection? That is a MUST for me.

Gary
    Scan back a few posts.

CoPilot doesn't require a data connection as it downloads the maps and stuff to the phone and uses them from there.

Which is probably handy for when you get beamed up to an alien ship that leaves low earth orbit and gets out of the range of our GPS satellites. If your Nav proggy goes bonkers, how can you phone your friends and give them an accurate location for you?

Oh, and it might be good for tunnels, too. I suppose.

Believe me, there are plenty of places I can get to where I need navigation and don't have data. I spent a weekend at Mohican State Park in the middle of Ohio and didn't have ANY AT&T coverage the entire time. I had to drive 30 minutes from the park before I had any phone coverage whatsoever. However, the MAIN reason I want something that works w/o a data connection is that I go to Canada a lot and my AT&T data is not available and data while roaming in Canada will cost you an arm and a leg. I think I'll stick w/ CoPilot for now. :-)

Gary

Sounds like CoPilot is a great deal. So the way it works if you download maps of the area you are going to and it works from the SD card? That seems interesting... I used AT&T GPS service on my last phone, but didn't use it often enough to justify $10 a month. But paying $35 for lifetime sounds like a good deal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links