GPS without AT&T Navigator

This is a discussion on GPS without AT&T Navigator within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; There is another mapping software I used on my last phone. You could download all your maps and store them on your SD card... The ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: GPS without AT&T Navigator

There is another mapping software I used on my last phone. You could download all your maps and store them on your SD card...

The version on had on my last phone didn't have turn by turn, but it worked better than regular Google Maps...

I want software with turn by turn navigation, but maybe someone could find this useful.

http://www.mgmaps.com/

I always liked amaze gps. Very readable maps. There is a version specifically for the backflip, but you have to use the sdk exploit to install. I'm not going into details on that.

Just go here

Also someone suggested Waze for navigation. Does anyone else find those maps nearly impossible to read? I installed for about 15 minutes, and most of that was looking in the settings for a way to improve the map view.
    Don't speak to me of the crunch. You know nothing of the crunch.
    You've never even been to the crunch.

I installed waze a few weeks ago, the problem that I have with it is that each time I did a trial run, the thing mapped the longest route possible, I mean at least 3 or 4 times longer than it should have. It had me go at least 8 miles past a turn that I should have to just have me make a u-turn and go back to that same turn.

The more you use Waze, it should correct that. If the setting is turned on, it will learn your "normal" routes. Also, you may want to check the settings to make sure it is set to map the fastest route.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    The more you use Waze, it should correct that. If the setting is turned on, it will learn your "normal" routes. Also, you may want to check the settings to make sure it is set to map the fastest route.
    Doesn't that really negate the purpose of a GPS? If it is a "normal route," then why would you need to get directions? And if you drive it enough times for waze to learn it, wouldn't you know it already? Just sounds like a poor algorythm for searching and path finding.
    Don't speak to me of the crunch. You know nothing of the crunch.
    You've never even been to the crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by jchapman01 View Post
    I know that a lot of people think that 10 buxx a month is alot to pay for ATT Navigator. I use it and I love it. One thing that helped me justify the cost was the feature to find the cheapest prices on gas. I used it for 2 months and marked down the savings per gallon compared to the gas station that I usually go to and i realized that i saved about 20 to 25 buxx a month. It's worth it to me... but that's just my story.
    I use a free coupon app from the Market that gives me the gas prices nearby - no charge! AT&T gets too much of my money already.

Also, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Good info!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravaged Pheonix View Post
    Doesn't that really negate the purpose of a GPS? If it is a "normal route," then why would you need to get directions? And if you drive it enough times for waze to learn it, wouldn't you know it already? Just sounds like a poor algorythm for searching and path finding.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. I could also argue that if you are familiar enough with the area to KNOW that it is giving you a non-optimal route you don't really need to depend on a GPS.

A lot of people use GPSs for things like avoiding traffic and things of that nature. In that case, although the route may be non-optimal, it would still save you time.

Also there are settings which may cause it to calculate a longer route, such as avoiding highways or cookie hunting.

Lastly, remember that Waze is different from most (all?) GPS out there in that it is crowd-sourced. The more people who use it, the more useful and complete that it becomes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links