Battery tip?

This is a discussion on Battery tip? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I'm pretty much loving this phone so far, but the one thing that's been getting to me (besides being stuck on 1.5 and ATT's crap) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery tip?

Battery tip?

I'm pretty much loving this phone so far, but the one thing that's been getting to me (besides being stuck on 1.5 and ATT's crap) was the battery. I'd have it charging overnight and take it off right before I leave to work. My typical work day is 9 hours and I've been coming home with my battery down to 10-20%... This is with light usage (maybe 15-20 text messages, 10-20 minutes of calls, and about 30 minutes of browsing).

I've done all the usual tips... Smart mode, factory resets, disabling wifi gps and bluetooth, getting rid of all the widgets, and I even removed my facebook account for a couple days. The results? Still coming home with about 10-20% battery left.

Now I did something a little different this time. I let the battery drain to the point where the phone shut itself off. Then I let it charge overnight for about 12 hours. I took it off the charger around 7AM and used it a lot more than usual today. I had wifi and gps turned on, facebook synced, maybe 10-15 text messages, about 10 minutes of calls, a bunch of pictures taken with the camera with flash, downloaded maybe 5 apps off marketplace, and some medium browsing including having the browser constantly opening and closing checking NBA scores and bus schedules. It's now 7PM and my Batt is at 50%!!!

That's not as good as I would hope it to be, but it's definitely a great improvement =D Hopefully it'll be the same tomorrow...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

battery has been a problem for me too. i ll try this and report back.

I have this phone since March 7. I like most of the futures, but I cannot stand the battery life on this phone! It was the same way for me like you described here. By the end of the day with not heavy usage, I had 10-15% battery left on my phone. I called AT&T and then Morola - no help from them.
    I figured out that my phone syncs Google Contacts (and Calendar) all day long on the background. I disabled that options (Data synchronization->Auto-sync unchecked), the next time I got 2 days from my phone with out charging!!!
    It was good for 2 weeks, yesterday I add some contact to my phone, and it starts sync with Google again. I couldn't stop synchronization!?! For some reason it was sinchronizing for many hours. My phone was dead by 7pm (0% battery). I think it's not acceptable to have battery life for less then a day!

I pretty much always have had google syncing unchecked... That never seemed to help any bit though =\

If you had disabled the Google sync, it shouldn't have been re-enabled just by making a change to your contacts in Google. Something else would have had to re-enable the feature.

Also, the Google sync does not sync constantly all day long. It only checks periodically throughout the day usually no more than once every few hours. I really don't think that it is the major battery drain that alot of people are claiming.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    If you had disabled the Google sync, it shouldn't have been re-enabled just by making a change to your contacts in Google. Something else would have had to re-enable the feature.

Also, the Google sync does not sync constantly all day long. It only checks periodically throughout the day usually no more than once every few hours. I really don't think that it is the major battery drain that alot of people are claiming.
    Making changes on your phone or in your gmail account or Google calendar triggers a sync. As far as I can tell there is no polling (checking at scheduled times) for changes.

I know that I can change my calendar (either on my phone or on the web site) and it will sync in just a couple of minutes.

I have sadi before I think that the thing that MAY be causing battery drain is having Use wireless networks turned on in Location & compass. If you read the "Location Consent" that pops up when you turn it on you will see that data will be sent even if no applications are using it. This really pisses me off, why do I have to let Google collect info on me and my habits to use a feature of the phone? This triangulation can be used without Google collecting the data.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post

-------
    I know all that, but... I disabled "Background data" sync and it still synchronizing contacts all the time. And i don't understand why it takes so long (4-5 hours) to do sync. I do have ~120 contacts, but I just added one new.
    May be this is not a problem for the battery drain, but that's the only thing that I changed and it helped a lot (increase the battery life to up to 2 days).
    It looks like I'm talking about two problems here:
    1. Poor battery life
    2. Google contacts sync - out of control
    In my opinion, they are related.

So far no one else has the problem, or so I have heard. I would suggest a factory reset as I can confirm google only syncs when changes are made. Also try setting your battery profile to smart mode. This will poll your email server every 15 or 30 minuets rather then like once a minute.

i run smart mode and gps off and i have like 60% left after 12 hours, yesterday i had 17hours with 23% left on my battery, don't remember if i changed any other settings but i have no complaints especially after turning gps off.

Unplugged my phone around 2AM today... Woke up at 8 to start using it and the batt was at 98%. Stayed home today, so I didn't do much with my phone, but some medium browsing with wifi. I was signed onto ebuddy throughout most of my day with the battery saver feature on. It's now 9 40PM and I'm at 25%

Again... Not as great as I would have hoped it to be, but a great improvement either way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links