backflip haters

This is a discussion on backflip haters within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I've had a backflip for around a month now, and it's my first android phone. I'm really surprised by all the hate that surrounds this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backflip haters

backflip haters

I've had a backflip for around a month now, and it's my first android phone. I'm really surprised by all the hate that surrounds this phone in the geekosphere. All the things that suck are AT&T's fault for locking it down, I can't find anything grossly inferior about the hardware itself, and the backflip keyboard might be weird but it kicks ass too. Even if you don't like it how effin hard is it to just ignore?

What's up with all the hate is there something I'm missing? I love this thing, it just desperately needs to be rooted.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The hate is comming for multipule reasons.
    You mentioned some of them the locking down of the phone.
    There is also just a general hate of AT&T.
    Then there is the outdated OS on it.

Being your first android phone you donot see things near as bad as those that have used it. The biggest thing to me is what the CEO said about the android system and wanting people to have choice and then turns around and does not give people choice. The hate comes for many reasons but for the most part is just unfounded.
    The outdated OS is bad since there are apps that cannot be used by 1.5. If it had come out with 1.6 those complaints would have been mostly gone I think.

Yes the phone needs to get rooted but because of some of the things mentioned there are not many people working on it. I have hopes that 2.1 being announced as well as the German release comming that there will be more work being done on the phone.

I have not bought one yet but I have looked at it long and hard and the 2.1 announcement has put me closer to buying. But I want to see what the HTC phone that is comming to AT&T before I choose my phone. But my wife is looking at this one and likes it alot. So there still might end up being one in the house.

Not to mention, the Google April Fools Day app was 1.6+ only...

We couldn't even try it...

I think it's just backlash because of the lockdowns. I have a BBerry Curve (8320 I think?) Edge model on AT&T at work, wife has an iPhone 3GS 16GB from about November (8GB 2G before that), and the kids have featurephones, and the only real complaint I have is the signal while at home.

I have seriously considered Vz and Sprint, especially at Sprint's new prices, but I travel to Europe alot (going 5/28 - 6/24) and CDMA is useless in EU, unless you have a world phone, which I don't think the CDMA androids are.
    Plus, I get a better discount through my wife's work on Vz and Sprint, than on AT&T. T-Mobile for me is not as good as AT&T, as I had a previous BBerry on T-mobile, until work negotiated a big deal for all cell lines at work, and ported numbers over to AT&T after TMO line contracts expired.

But I gotta say - that Sprint EVO 4G has reeeeeeally piqued my interest. If it had a keyboard, I don't think I could resist.

I can understand the hate, but I also think people need to get over it already, which it seems to be dieing down now. The phone got released, everyone *****ed and AT&T got an ear full. Hopefully they learned there lesson. It appears Dell hasnt, but that another issue in itself.

When I was thinking of buying the phone I fired an email to a friend I knew was a longtime Android user.

His reply

Yes, I have an Android phone - the myTouch3g from T-Mobile. One of the things I love about Android is how it has embraced the Open Source community.

That being said, from what I've read, AT&T has crippled the backflip, basically taking away the best parts of Android, and also installing their own crap, which the user can't uninstall. While it looks like a good phone, and the price is right, I would wait to see what the new Dell Android phone is like.

Cheers!

I have since showed him the phone and he's quite impressed , my point here is that yeah some people will just damn the phone because of the carrier no matter what.

It would take an awful lot for me to leave AT&T. As a longtime costumer they have treated me brilliantly down the years....

This is obviously my first android and I'm not at all bothered by the fact that I can't get third party apps....there are tens of thousands to choose from in the market.......but I can see how these issues would get people upset .

I'm thrilled with the backflip and have no regrets about getting it.

I have owned a G1, myTouch 3G, Droid and now the BackFlip. I also have run Android on a couple different Windows Mobile phones and I have a Nook. The changes made by AT&T are really so minute (for me anyway) that it is ridiculous how many people have overreacted and exaggerated the whole thing. The BackFlip is by far my favorite Android device so far.

Welcome to the blogosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post
    I have owned a G1, myTouch 3G, Droid and now the BackFlip. I also have run Android on a couple different Windows Mobile phones and I have a Nook. The changes made by AT&T are really so minute (for me anyway) that it is ridiculous how many people have overreacted and exaggerated the whole thing. The BackFlip is by far my favorite Android device so far.

See , this is great to read from a person that can compare the backflip with other android phones you have had.

Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post

I agree 110%. I have also had a few other android phones. (G1, my touch 3g, and the Droid Eris.) And i must say that i enjoy the backflip better than any of those other devices. My brother has the droid right now and i test my phone against his and with 2.1 on the phone, my little ol backflip was faster than his phone. So why the whole thing other the backflip? Simply because people aren't taking time to see what the phone is all about. Almost everyone I have sold one too has told me that they heard all the negativity about it and didnt want it, when they finally got to play with it, they LOVED it.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

delavega should have his head examined for crippling the andriod OS. All though it was fun to sit back and listen to all the conspiracy theorists rail on about at&t being the modern day equivelant of apples hebrew slave (although a few made excellent points). I dropped my 3gs and picked up the backflip the day it launched, and havent looked back once.

Everyone just needs to relax a touch. The modding community will catch up sooner rather than later, and this phone wil reach its full potential (that being said I'm thrilled with the phone as is)...Someone should start a movement to get some real elite devs, like geohot to broaden their horizons and start tinkering with android :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links