Should I Get A BackFlip?

This is a discussion on Should I Get A BackFlip? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Hi, I new, and just popping in to see what your experiences have been. I'm upgrading from my trusty 'ol Treo 680 (before that, a ...

Thread: Should I Get A BackFlip?

Should I Get A BackFlip?

Hi,
    I new, and just popping in to see what your experiences have been. I'm upgrading from my trusty 'ol Treo 680 (before that, a 650) and now I'm looking to take a big leap forward to the Backflip. Here are some of the things I need the Backflip to do, and some things, I hope it would do. Any feedback would be great!

1) Tethering! This is a "need". I'm a mobile DJ and occasionally when I can't pick up wifi and need "that special tune" I'm able to use my Treo as a modem. I've heard mixed reports on tethering with the BF, can it be done?

2) Importing my own ringtones, and wallpapers.

3) Watching video saved on storage cards (.avi)

These are the big three with me....can the Backflip do all that?!

Thanks so much in advance!

--JAC

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by JacFlash View Post
    Hi,
    I new, and just popping in to see what your experiences have been. I'm upgrading from my trusty 'ol Treo 680 (before that, a 650) and now I'm looking to take a big leap forward to the Backflip. Here are some of the things I need the Backflip to do, and some things, I hope it would do. Any feedback would be great!

1) Tethering! This is a "need". I'm a mobile DJ and occasionally when I can't pick up wifi and need "that special tune" I'm able to use my Treo as a modem. I've heard mixed reports on tethering with the BF, can it be done?

--JAC

1) Yes, it is possible to tether your phone. There are multiple apps to do this, but PdaNet seems to be one of the more popular ones.

2) It should be fairly simple to import your ringtones and wallpapers, either by copying them to your PC and then copying from the PC to the phone, or by putting them on a SD card and then copying them to your phone. It may also be possible to use Bluetooth to copy directly from phone to phone, but this doesn't work quite as well with the Backflip. There are apps to do this I believe however.

3) For the videos, it depends on how the videos are actually encoded. You can see a list of the supported media types here, but from that page, the supported types are:
    # PLAYABLE FORMATS
    AAC, H.263, H.264, MP3, MPEG-4, WAV, MIDI, AAC+
    # STREAMING MEDIA
    Video
    # VIDEO CAPTURE RATE
    24 fps

Thanks!! Looks like I'm going for it!

Hi,

--JAC

1. PDAnet seems to be the app that most folks use for laptop tethering. I've downloaded it and installed it on my laptop and my backflip, although I haven't had to use it yet so I haven't tested how well it works.

2. I'm using my own custom wallpaper right now. It was really easy to set that up. Also, I'm using my own custom ring tones and announcement tones. You can set them up on a person by person basis, if you like. Some of the ones I have are voice messages I've recorded of my own voice saying 'you have a call from soandso'. I can't tell you how many people I've impressed with that little trick.

3. I watch video that's stored on my SD card all the time. However, the AVI file type isn't supported so you will need to convert those to MP4. There's lots of free utility programs out there you can download to your PC to convert them. Some even allow batch conversion. It's worked great for me.

The backflip does all that and much more pretty easily. I've had nothing but good luck with mine and I'm really glad I chose it. There's some tips and tricks you'll pick up as you go but I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's not only a good functional smartphone but it's solidly built and just 'feels good' in your hand.

Cool, I've used PDAnet with my Treo, it does exactly what I need it to.

Talking

No. I wouldnt not buy it. Iphone is the way to go. I hav4 a backflip though.. I went from a iphone 3gs to a piece of crap blackberry to the backflip and it isnt worth it

Quote Originally Posted by nfilatov View Post
    No. I wouldnt not buy it. Iphone is the way to go. I hav4 a backflip though.. I went from a iphone 3gs to a piece of crap blackberry to the backflip and it isnt worth it
    Your opinions are important to us, nfilatov.

And your input is valuable to the backflip community here.

Could you please give us a little more information about why you feel that going to the backflip wasn't worth it for you?

Thanks.

Update:

I got the BackFlip. Totally loving it. I've got it doing everything I wanted and more! Thanks again for the opinions and advice.

Update:

I got the BackFlip. Totally loving it. I've got it doing everything I wanted and more! Thanks again for the opinions and advice.
    Hah!

I love it - totally cool, when you can watch someone come in, ask questions, they get answered, day or two later the original person has the phone, and doing what they needed.

Man - what WOULD society do without the interwebz?

NOTE: I am NOT being sarcastic - I think it IS cool!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links