New Backflip Owner, Impressions and Questions

This is a discussion on New Backflip Owner, Impressions and Questions within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; deleted....

Thread: New Backflip Owner, Impressions and Questions

deleted.

deleted.
    Last edited by lucaszieland; 02-02-2013 at 03:12 AM.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by lucaszieland View Post
    Hey all, new to your community!

I'm in Australia where this phone was released about a week ago and I jumped on the bandwagon. Why Backflip for me? There are only two Non-Symbian smartphones with hardware keyboards, The Backflip and DEXT (CLIQ), available in Australia and the Backflip seemed to have both a better keyboard and suprisingly lighter form for a similar cost.

I like lots about this phone, but some of the niggling things getting to me are:
    -touching the screen whilst the keyboard is open makes the hinge seem flimsy... it doesn't lock in place. Is this normal?
    -the metal battery cover seems to wiggle a bit whilst i'm typing and the flip is open. Is this normal? If you can't tell i'm a little perfectionistic!
    -the time to usable screen from when I press the unlock button is quite long... it seems to open a blank android page with a small delay then the widgets load individually. Is that normal? I'm running battery saver mode, if that changes things.
    -The only parts of MotoBlur i'd like running are the status updater and the contact details syncing. The messages widget seems a bit superfulous considering how much text it shows, when for the same amount of finger pressing I just open the notifications bar and the related application. The happenings widget is pretty cool but until I can make it show only a few people I care about and reduce the update delay, i'd rather it not run.
    If i remove these widgets from the home screen, are they still updating/consuming battery life? (I'm running the facebook ap to get notifications from there). Main thing I'm worried about is responsiveness and battery
    -I'd like to get the phone as responsive as possible. Any tips? My measure of responsiveness is how fast i can get to my messages/respond .

-If I were to replace the email app with K-9 or the messaging app with Handscent, and I removed alerts from the old applications, would the old applications ever run/use cpu cycles/memory? I'm not that unhappy with the default apps so if it does i'd just stick with them.
    -Do widgets on homescreens other than the ones you look at consume cpu cycles/battery life? What about shortcuts?
    -If I don't use a task killer, do applications left in the background effect responsiveness/battery life/cpu cycles?

Sorry for my wall of text! Thanks for any help you can give me
    Hello. And welcome to the forums.
    It is normal for the phone to move while open.
    The battery door shouldn't wiggle at all.
    Your lag that you are seeing could be because of to many widgets.
    If you take the widgets that you dont want to use off your main screen they will not run in the back ground.
    If you replace the native SMS and email, they will still run in the background you just won't get any notifications. But there still will be a copy of the messages in the native folder. Any widget or shortcut you have on the main 5 screens will consume cpu cycles and battery life. I would recommend using task killer as it helps lag a lot.
    Glad to have you a part of the forums.

Thankyou very much for that very quick reply!

The battery door "wiggle" is very slight, about half the gap between the door and the phone in movement. Is that something I should be returning over or shrug it off? :D

I used the advanced task killer and removed alot of widgets and a very noticible performance increase resulted. May I ask what is on your task killer ignore list? As in, what should not be task-killed?

As just a random tid-bit, do you know if theres a way to display the clock/notifications without completely unlocking the phone?

And one more thing, is there any way to customise the message/happenings widgets? I can't seem to find anything!

Thanks again! (And sorry for bombarding you with questions! :D)
    My battery door doesn't move at all. So it's really up to you. Is the wiggle enough to bring it back or not? If you are still under you 30 day, I would return it.

I also use advance task killer and I have everything that originally came on the phone on the ignore list. (i.e. gmail, messaging, phone, and i also have facebook on it too)

What do you mean by disabling the clock/notification?

I dont think there is a way to customize the message/happenings widget.

Quote Originally Posted by tae_254 View Post
    What do you mean by disabling the clock/notification?
    I believe he said "display", not disable. I'm guessing he wants to be able to check the time and notifications without completely opening/unlocking the phone. I'm interested in this as well. Can it be done?

you can see the time by pressing the lock button on the top of the phone. You can download an SMS application called Handcent which will give you the option to have pop up text. Any other message you get (email, facebook, twitter) you will have to unlock the phone.

Welcome lucaszieland, excellent questions. I have gone back and forth on replacing the original SMS messaging with Handcent or not and the email with k-9 . I really don't find anything wrong with the built in features and now that I know they are running in the background anyway I might just delete Handcent again.

Hvae you tried some of the other browsers like Opera or Dolphin?, I have tried both but keep goign back to the built in one....but this is one of the many cool things I like about the phone, two weeks in and I am still discovering new things and playing around with it .

Thanks for the input guys. Optus replaced my backflip and the battery door is pretty solid. Pretty happy with my phone now

Only thing i'm frustrated with is the lack of customization with the motoblur services... I'd like to have motoblur without the happenings and news services running, but I guess I just have to live with that.

One thing to note, does anybody know what disabling "Background Data" in Google Synchronisation//Data Synchronisation in the menu does exactly? Will emails/facebook messages still pop up in my notifications bar?

Thanks for all the help guys!
    Disabling background sync will stop your google emails, calendar and contacts from updating automatically. It shouldn't affect your facebook messages unless they are emails from google.

I don't use google mail at all so I have this option turned off. I use a hosted exchange account for my mail, calendar and contact sync.

Quote Originally Posted by tae_254 View Post
    Hello. And welcome to the forums.
    It is normal for the phone to move while open.
    The battery door shouldn't wiggle at all.
    Your lag that you are seeing could be because of to many widgets.
    If you take the widgets that you dont want to use off your main screen they will not run in the back ground.
    If you replace the native SMS and email, they will still run in the background you just won't get any notifications. But there still will be a copy of the messages in the native folder. Any widget or shortcut you have on the main 5 screens will consume cpu cycles and battery life. I would recommend using task killer as it helps lag a lot.
    Glad to have you a part of the forums.
    wow, i didnt know this... i had tons of apps on the homescreens.. my phone was getting a little laggy... removed all but four apps, now she is running fast! thanks for the advice! ATK seems to be cool too!

Hello,ok iam so new to this..but already i hate this phone. Someone please help! Ok it is super slow, when i text it lags bad and all messages come up at once.i dont have facebook or anything like that which ive read that alot of contacts can slow the phone down. My alarm clock doesnt go off when supposed to. What am i doing wrong

Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    Hello,ok iam so new to this..but already i hate this phone. Someone please help! Ok it is super slow, when i text it lags bad and all messages come up at once.i dont have facebook or anything like that which ive read that alot of contacts can slow the phone down. My alarm clock doesnt go off when supposed to. What am i doing wrong
    You've made two of these identical posts in two of the forums here. That's not a good idea. It's confusing and inefficient.

Maybe one of the moderators will come along and help you by deleting one.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links