bought backflip EBAY..How to disable internet

This is a discussion on bought backflip EBAY..How to disable internet within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; @tae_254 Please help or explain why this happened: I got my Backflip from best buy (not AT&T); my friend has an old phone and service ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bought backflip EBAY..How to disable internet

@tae_254

Please help or explain why this happened:

I got my Backflip from best buy (not AT&T); my friend has an old phone and service with AT&T and wanted to try the Backflip for a few days; without data. Well I disabled data using quick settings, so there was no way for data to work without WiFi. I gave him the phone and within a minute of putting his sim in the phone, he got a text message telling him he is now signed up for the $30 data plan :confused:; he is not in contract and did not contact AT&T about doing this. He gave me the phone back and had to call AT&T to get it removed; huge hassle. All he had to do was put his sim into the Backflip for the issues to start. I understand you work for AT&T and I am not saying you are wrong; so can you post where in writing it says data will not be automatically added; because the link posted (from the AT&T website) above your post says it will and that is all I have to go off of. If you can show me in wirting that they will not add data, I want him to have that ready so he can use my backflip for a week to see if he really wants it. Your help is greatly appre****ed (sorry or the spelling)

@ jeringis

Connect to WiFi and download and install qucik settings from market, that will 100% kill any data (and pictures messages ) but it will kill all data useage. I use it when I goto Canada and don't want tp pay $15/Mb

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

Quote Originally Posted by j101399j View Post
    @tae_254

Please help or explain why this happened:

I got my Backflip from best buy (not AT&T); my friend has an old phone and service with AT&T and wanted to try the Backflip for a few days; without data. Well I disabled data using quick settings, so there was no way for data to work without WiFi. I gave him the phone and within a minute of putting his sim in the phone, he got a text message telling him he is now signed up for the $30 data plan :confused:; he is not in contract and did not contact AT&T about doing this. He gave me the phone back and had to call AT&T to get it removed; huge hassle. All he had to do was put his sim into the Backflip for the issues to start. I understand you work for AT&T and I am not saying you are wrong; so can you post where in writing it says data will not be automatically added; because the link posted (from the AT&T website) above your post says it will and that is all I have to go off of. If you can show me in wirting that they will not add data, I want him to have that ready so he can use my backflip for a week to see if he really wants it. Your help is greatly appre****ed (sorry or the spelling)

@ jeringis

Connect to WiFi and download and install qucik settings from market, that will 100% kill any data (and pictures messages ) but it will kill all data useage. I use it when I goto Canada and don't want tp pay $15/Mb

Hmmm.. So i just put my brothers sim card from his Samsung Propel (which he does not have any type of data plan on) into my backflip and its been in there for the past 45 minutes. He has not received any text messages saying that he was activated to a 30 dollar data plan. I wont continue to go back and forth with you about something that really isn't that important IMO. The only advice that i would give at this time is if you want your friend to use your phone. Contact an At&t rep and ask them will he automatically be opted in to a 30 dollar data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    When I was considering whether to buy a smart phone or not I put the SIM from my Samsung Eternity in my daughter's old Blackberry. Within 30 minutes I got a text from AT&T that stated I needed a Blackberry data plan for the phone. Within 10-15 minutes of that I got another text stating that the plane had been added to my account "for my convenience". I had to call customer service to make sure the plan was removed.

When I went online to check my account the device pictured for my number was the correct model Blackberry.

This was my experience, FWIW.
    I can understand this happening with a blackberry for the simple fact the data usage on the blackberry goes through either BIS or BES and is filtered through there servers.

I will double check though about the data plan being automatically added on there when i get to work tomorrow.

I'm reasonably sure that if you contact AT&T they can disconnect the data for a line, DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT PHONE IT IS, as for using the backflip without setting up motoblur I screwed up my initial setup and was not set up but could still call and text.... good luck

Before the Backflip, I was rocking an LG VU with the regular Media Net data plan. My friend found a Blackberry Pearl which I popped my SIM Card into just to test it out. Phone powered on and had it up for about 5 minutes. Took my SIM out and popped right back into my VU. The next morning I got a text from AT&T saying that my smartphone requires a $30 data package and that they had automatically added it for me "for my convenience" LOL

Called them up and explained the situation and they fixed everything up no problem...

There are surely better options out there if all you want is to text.

I agree. I can understand that your daughter may like the keyboard for texting purposes, but getting a smartphone just for the purpose of texting and intentionally disabling data seems to me like overkill.

I called the carrier and they told me I need a data plan and that is the only way solve. The phone is accessing the internet without my daughter prompting and I am starting to rack a some small charges. Someone mentioned deleting the widgets, does anyone know how to delete these so that I can avoid them accessing the internet?
    Again thanks for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by jeringis View Post
    I called the carrier and they told me I need a data plan and that is the only way solve. The phone is accessing the internet without my daughter prompting and I am starting to rack a some small charges. Someone mentioned deleting the widgets, does anyone know how to delete these so that I can avoid them accessing the internet?
    Again thanks for all the help
    Hold your finger down on the widget till you see the trash can appear on the bottom. Then drag the widget into the trash can.

EDIT: I was also under the impression that once AT&T recognizes the phone it automatically adds the data plan to the carrier's plan.

I have 9 lockerz invites if interested PM me.

If you are dead set on this course, I would really recommend then installing Quick Settings. It allows you to disable the cellular data, which should prevent you from receiving data charges from your carrier, but it may also disable text messaging also, I am not sure.

Your daughter would still be able to access the internet from the phone using a Wifi connection, but that would be all.

I still argue that it would be better to get a "texting" feature phone. I just see this always being a problem trying to do what you are doing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links