bought backflip EBAY..How to disable internet

This is a discussion on bought backflip EBAY..How to disable internet within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Originally Posted by jmgib If you are dead set on this course, I would really recommend then installing Quick Settings . It allows you to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bought backflip EBAY..How to disable internet

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    If you are dead set on this course, I would really recommend then installing Quick Settings. It allows you to disable the cellular data, which should prevent you from receiving data charges from your carrier, but it may also disable text messaging also, I am not sure.

Your daughter would still be able to access the internet from the phone using a Wifi connection, but that would be all.

I still argue that it would be better to get a "texting" feature phone. I just see this always being a problem trying to do what you are doing.
    SMS will work with data off but MMS will not.

Yeah, I also thought it's kinda weird that you got a Backflip for your daughter. There are plenty of great phones on AT&T with physical keyboards that don't require a data plan.

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    That's what I been hearing everywhere about AT&T automatically adding the $30 data plan. I think they go by the IMEI number broadcast associated with the sim card that is inserted. The only reason I say IMEI number is because I got my nexus one and called them to have my Data Plan changed from the Smart phone data plan to the regular $15 unlimited data plan. They asked for IMEI number and I gave but didn't not tell them I had a N1. Since I've had this phone I have not gotten any type of message.

First off i would never buy a phone off ebay. Even more so this phone, as its widely known there was a bad batch but it seems like most phones in the wild now have proven pretty stable.

Secondly, this disabled your thirty day exchange policy.

Third, always check if the seller is a verified reseller for the company. Otherwise the warranty is no good.

Fourth theres several phones out there using a physical keyboard that dont really benefit from a data plan. For example the Pantech Slate, which is like a blackberry slider, and the Pantech reveal which flips open to reveal a full keyboard but the keypad on the front of the phone is hidden until you activate it.

You can create a bogus APN in your wireless settings. You can create an MMS apn under the 'APN type' option to save that capibility I believe.

You can even use an app like APNdroid to do it for you. And regardless of whether your IMEI is listed on your account the may add the data plan. It is detectable by the network.

You do receive a text when it auto adds and it is easy to remove if it does. I have only seen this happen with blackberry's, but who knows. If you need help with your account you can send me a PM and I can check it out while i am at work.

Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth_attdroids's Avatar
    As much as I love my ATT service I hope someone sues them for that. IMO that's abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by tae_254 View Post
    I work for At&t, you wont be automatically signed up for a data plan if you dont request to.
    Then why do I get customers every week who come in that had a data plan added to their account?

Usually starting the phone will get a plan added, as the network registers the device. The system AUTOMATICALLY recognizes what AT&T device you are using, and checks if you have a PDA data plan. The only way around this AFAIK is if the phone number previously had a smartphone before AT&T dropped the hammer in November. In that case, the number has the 'smartphone exclusion' code attached, and an intelligent representative can take the PDA plan off without it being auto-added.

God forbid that exclusion code gets removed. We have a customer we've been working with for months, barking all the way up the chain, so she can use her BBRY without the plan. So far, no luck.

BTW they are slowly adding even non-AT&T phones to the network database. Some Nexus1 users have reported having the $30 plan automatically added. In the past, the network would not recognize a 3rd party PDA, and would only charge the $15 data.

Let's say you got a phone in 2008 and you re-newed your plan on [Amazon.com]. Can you remove the data plan if you call AT&T and ask them to remove it?

If not; and if possible, how can you remove/ disable the data plan?

Quote Originally Posted by tae_254 View Post
    I work for At&t, you wont be automatically signed up for a data plan if you dont request to.
    All widgets can be taking off the home screen. There is so much stuff on the phone that will consume internet use. If you are not trying to have data on the phone it will probably be a bad idea to get it.
    My son got a backflip from ATT and he insisted in me trying his old lg phone(did not have a data plan), so I put in my SIM card in his phone and sure enough 2 hours later I was calling ATT to complaint about a data plan been added because I tried this phone for a day. I had to go to an ATT store to have it removed because the lady on the phone will not budge. Waiting for my next bill to see if they actually did.
    AG

You will get charged and you will have to fight it. My wife lossed her iPhone, we cancelled the data plan 6 months later, I got a Samsung I used overseas. Popped the SIM once in my wife's phone to do some testing. 3 months later, I found out I was billed. They sent a TXT message but I already removed the SIM. I was on the phone for literally 6 hours; going thru managers,managers,etc.. I threaten to sue and they didn't budge. Furious, I said I'll cancel everything with ATT. They moved me to cancellation and the guy was cool and he removed the data plan and put the EMEI ESN into the system as disabled. If I pop my wife's SIM into a another data-enabled phone, the DATA plan would re-start. Now, I know better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links