bought backflip EBAY..How to disable internet

This is a discussion on bought backflip EBAY..How to disable internet within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Hi, I just bought this phone for my daughter strictly for texting and she liked the novelty of the backflip. I am concerned that the ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bought backflip EBAY..How to disable internet

Smile bought backflip EBAY..How to disable internet

Hi,
    I just bought this phone for my daughter strictly for texting and she liked the novelty of the backflip. I am concerned that the phone is constantly accessing the internet... is this true? If so, how can I disconnect the internet?
    If it not always accessing the internet unless you hit the internet browser button, then how do I move that app from the home page so she does not accidentally hit it to access internet.
    Another stupid queston, if it is in 3g mode, that does mean the phone is running on the internet charging me internet usage rates? thank you

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You need to call your carrier and have them disable internet. A lot of the widget will use internet access. The phone being in 3g doesn't mean its online, just means you have 3g service.

thanks for the response. If I contact ATT, they will force me to purchase the data plan because of their new policy on smart phones.... that's $720 for 2 years just because my daughter loves the phone style for texting (not for the internet). I did disable the data roaming... will this keep the widgets from connecting to the internet? Do the widgets automatically try to connect to the internet? or do you have to access through the icon to connect?..... if it is the latter, then I am ok with how the phone is set up. My biggest concern is if the motorola/ att software makes this phone connected to the internet 24/7,then I will be racking up hugh charges which will mean I will need the data plan in order to have this phone.
    Any help here would be appreciated as I am sure there are alot of people out there who purchase this phone as I did to avoid a data plan

If you dont have the 30 dollar data plan on your account. Your daughter will not be able to access the internet. So you wont have anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by tae_254 View Post
    If you dont have the 30 dollar data plan on your account. Your daughter will not be able to access the internet. So you wont have anything to worry about.
    Data is like text messages; you get charged if you use it without a plan, or if you go over your limit if you don't have an unlimited plan. I know this because my current dumbphone does not have a data plan, but I get charged for data usage if I try to access the rudimentary "internet" on it. In other words, just because you don't have plan doesn't mean you are unable to access the internet.

Plus, if AT&T sees that you are using data without a data plan on a smartphone, I think they will just automatically sign you up for the plan.

Also, don't the basic motoblur widgets access the internet (i.e., incur data usage) on their own? So you'd have to remove every single widget (I have no idea if that's possible, since my Backflip still hasn't arrived).

I work for At&t, you wont be automatically signed up for a data plan if you dont request to.
    All widgets can be taking off the home screen. There is so much stuff on the phone that will consume internet use. If you are not trying to have data on the phone it will probably be a bad idea to get it.

thanks again all. My daughter has a text plan, but she can access the internet and when she does, w/o a data plan, I am charges $.01/kb. I was not there when she set up the phone, but if she cancels her motoblur account, will the phone work, or do you need the motoblur in order for the phone to work

You have to be signed into motoblur to access the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by tae_254 View Post
    I work for At&t, you wont be automatically signed up for a data plan if you dont request to.
    All widgets can be taking off the home screen. There is so much stuff on the phone that will consume internet use. If you are not trying to have data on the phone it will probably be a bad idea to get it.

That is not what the contract states.
    PLAN TERMS - Wireless from AT&T.

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee

I wish you were right but I have read too many stories about it happening to others.

Quote Originally Posted by quetzalcoatl View Post
    That is not what the contract states.
    PLAN TERMS - Wireless from AT&T.

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee

I wish you were right but I have read too many stories about it happening to others.
    The only way that ATT will add a data plan onto your account is if you buy the phone through them and the phones ESN is changed in the system. ATT is a GSM network which uses sim cards. If the OP is buying the phone from ebay, there is no reason that they would have to call into att and give them the new ESN, just switch the sim card to the new phone. ATT WILL NOT ADD A 30.00 DATA PACKAGE ONTO THE ACCOUNT BECAUSE THE PHONE WAS NOT BROUGHT THROUGH ATT.

I've worked for ATT for almost 4 years now and am quite sure of what im talking about.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links