Battery

This is a discussion on Battery within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Originally Posted by quetzalcoatl Have you conditioned your battery. It helps most of the time. I believe 'conditioning' is for an older battery technology. Lithium ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery

Quote Originally Posted by quetzalcoatl View Post
    Have you conditioned your battery. It helps most of the time.
    I believe 'conditioning' is for an older battery technology. Lithium ion batteries don't work the same way.

Ok, here are some observations from my new battery. I messed with my phone throughout the day. Searched the internet, read emails, sent some texts, talked a few times (very short conversations). Went to bed at midnight & the battery was at 54%. Woke up at 8:00 and the battery was at 51%. I'd say the new battery is far better than the one that came with the phone. Also, I forgot to mention, that I turned off the task killer and it seems the battery is draining less. I couldn't even have it running with my old battery. So right now I have everything turned off until I need it. I did forget to turn off Wifi before I went to bed and the battery was still not draining much, so that's a plus.

i turned off background date (google,gmail etc) and have noticed an extremely better battery hold. i also have GPS off and battery on smart mode. hope this helps.

Yep, good advice.

Also, one thing I did, and I highly recommend it, is to get an App Manager program from the Market, install it and use it. You can have it bring up a list of the apps that are running and then you can mark some of them as 'exempt from being killed'. Those are the ones that the app manager will leave running when you tell it to 'kill all apps'.

Look at each app in the list carefully and only 'exempt' a few of the ones you want to leave running. Let the app killer try and kill everything else on the list. It can't kill the system apps so don't worry about that. And anything it kills will start up again just fine when you're ready to use it, anyway.

Then, get in the habit of using the app manager to kill all the apps everytime you boot the phone and even now and then in between.

That has made a HUGE difference in how much time I get out of the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendal View Post
    I believe 'conditioning' is for an older battery technology. Lithium ion batteries don't work the same way.

You had to do it on older batteries but even though the newer batteries do not get affected by certian things it does help on their life.

Quote Originally Posted by quetzalcoatl View Post
    You had to do it on older batteries but even though the newer batteries do not get affected by certian things it does help on their life.
    This seems to be the current most informed opinion on what your phone battery prefers: keep it from too much heat and keep it generally charged up above about 15-20% or so.

So, keep your phone out of the sun. Like, don't leave it on a sunny window sill or on your car's dash in the sun. And don't think that running it down low and charging it back up is especially good for it. Not even now and then.

You can google 'lithium ion' and find scientific sources for that basic information all over the internet.

I just have one more observation to add to this discussion. Although the batteries themselves do not have memory, the devices do memorize charge levels. This was a big problem on Windows Mobile devices running 6.5.3. I imagine that an occasional discharge will help Android devices "understand" battery capacities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post
    I just have one more observation to add to this discussion. Although the batteries themselves do not have memory, the devices do memorize charge levels. This was a big problem on Windows Mobile devices running 6.5.3. I imagine that an occasional discharge will help Android devices "understand" battery capacities as well.
    Bill, if you can show somewhere that tests have been conducted by some scientific agency to show that an occasional discharge helps, then I'll accept it, gladly. And I'll thank you for the information.

However, I've seen reports from several agencies now that indicate that's not the case for today's lithium ion batteries.

In fact, at least one of them has said specifically that letting them discharge way down and then back up for 'conditioning' isn't especially good for the battery.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

Good information, Marvin. Thanks for that.

I have some time right now so I've been looking around the web to see what I can find out about whether our phone batteries use SBS technology or not. I haven't been very successful with finding any conclusive data.

Although, the official Motorola support forums do contain quite a significant write up in the FAQ re: How to Extend Your Battery Life. Here's a link to that.

And even though they include other battery tips and techniques in there, there is no mention of anything like periodically 'teaching' a smart battery to better communicate with the device it's powering.

I'm left thinking our phone batteries are likely not SBS compliant.

But there is a lot of chatter about battery widgets being generally inaccurate as far as reporting %charge in the battery. If you want to check your widget's information, you can compare it against the remaining charge information shown in the phone's Settings menu. The battery charge is shown in there under Phone Status.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links