Got my backflip, 2 questions

This is a discussion on Got my backflip, 2 questions within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; My Backflip finally arrived and so far it's working brilliantly. Been playing with it for a few hours and so far I have two questions/problems: ...

Thread: Got my backflip, 2 questions

Question Got my backflip, 2 questions

My Backflip finally arrived and so far it's working brilliantly. Been playing with it for a few hours and so far I have two questions/problems:

1. How do I disable the vibration that occurs whenever I press the Menu, Home or Back buttons below the screen? Disabling the android keyboard vibrate did not have an effect on these buttons.

2. For some reason I can't seem to completely remove the apps that were preloaded on the phone. It's easy enough to trash the widgets, but whenever I long press on an app that's in the app tray (for instance, any of the stupid AT&T apps that I'll never use), and then drag it to the trash, it's still there when I look in the app tray. I've already done a factory data reset, which did absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. I really want to get rid of the apps that I will never use (since they take up internal storage space and they're an eye-sore in the app tray). Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks in advance!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The apps that came preloaded can not be trashed, deleted or otherwise gotten rid of, that's one reason the backflip got panned by some people, they don't bother me though, although I can see why "open sourse" fans are upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Con5150 View Post
    The apps that came preloaded can not be trashed, deleted or otherwise gotten rid of, that's one reason the backflip got panned by some people, they don't bother me though, although I can see why "open sourse" fans are upset.

This. The ATT apps which were preloaded cannot be removed.

Regarding the vibration, to disable the vibration when using the onscreen keyboard, you can look at:
    Code:
    Settings
    Locale and Text
    Android Keyboard Settings
    Vibrate on keypress
    If you happen to be using a 3rd party keyboard app, you would want the settings for that keyboard. It should be labled similarly though the actual feature may be called Haptic feedback (Swiftkey I know calls it this).

For the 3 LEDs below the screen, I don't believe there is a setting to stop the slight vibration when pressing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    My Backflip finally arrived and so far it's working brilliantly. Been playing with it for a few hours and so far I have two questions/problems:

1. How do I disable the vibration that occurs whenever I press the Menu, Home or Back buttons below the screen? Disabling the android keyboard vibrate did not have an effect on these buttons.

2. For some reason I can't seem to completely remove the apps that were preloaded on the phone. It's easy enough to trash the widgets, but whenever I long press on an app that's in the app tray (for instance, any of the stupid AT&T apps that I'll never use), and then drag it to the trash, it's still there when I look in the app tray. I've already done a factory data reset, which did absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. I really want to get rid of the apps that I will never use (since they take up internal storage space and they're an eye-sore in the app tray). Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks in advance!
    1. I've never found a way to turn off the vibs when you press one of the three keys at the bottom of the screen, or the right side when horizontal.

2. Most, if not all, of the apps in the App Tray are there to stay. I don't think there's any way to delete them until the phone gets 'rooted' and custom MODs become available on the market place. That could take months and months from now. Maybe even 6 months or a year.

But don't let that upset you. Think of the App Tray as a place where you go infrequently when you need to find an app to drag out to one of your five home screens. It's not a place where you need to go to actually use one of the apps. It's more of an app storage place than a place where you go to use an app. so having the extra factory apps in there doesn't need to bother you, really. It's easy to ignore them if you think of it that way.

However, if you REALLY need to not see all the factory bloatware apps in the app tray, SSeymore says that Panda Home will allow you to hide their icons so you don't have to see them. Panda Home is free and it's on the Market place. There is some possibility that Panda Home will slow down your phone a bit. I don't know. I'd only use it if that was worth it to you.

C2k
    I second the vote to Panda Home. In the panda Home menu you can choose which apps are visible in the tray, so in essence it wont delete them off of the phone, but it will get them out of your way. Also, Panda Home has app/shortcut trays that can be accessed from any home screen you're on.

And so what if like... 1mb of pre installed apps are on the phone? EVERY ATT phone has those apps. It doesnt slow down the phone, and it takes up hardly and memory compared to the total memory. Every complaint Ive heard about the phone not being open source takes less than 2 seconds to work around. I personally love the phone and think its really innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by C2k View Post
    It doesnt slow down the phone, and it takes up hardly and memory compared to the total memory.
    That's just not true. I love the phone too, but most of the pre-installed apps constantly start up on their own and take up a significant portion of memory (and drain my battery unnecessarily in the process). I use Advanced Task Killer kind of obsessively and it only takes about 5 minutes for at least 5 pre-installed apps that I NEVER use (and can't uninstall) to start running on their own, no matter how many times I kill them. According to ATK, I gain about 40M when I kill them and there is a noticeable performance boost for a few minutes until they all come back. I've looked at all the settings for these apps and made sure they should not be doing anything on their own, yet they continue to do so. These apps are more than just a nuisance.

Oops, just to be clear, I am no longer speaking about internal storage, but rather the phone's RAM when I say 'memory'. You're right that the space the apps take up is not an issue. The new issue for me is performance (i.e. RAM and battery usage).

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    That's just not true. I love the phone too, but most of the pre-installed apps constantly start up on their own and take up a significant portion of memory (and drain my battery unnecessarily in the process). I use Advanced Task Killer kind of obsessively and it only takes about 5 minutes for at least 5 pre-installed apps that I NEVER use (and can't uninstall) to start running on their own, no matter how many times I kill them. According to ATK, I gain about 40M when I kill them and there is a noticeable performance boost for a few minutes until they all come back. I've looked at all the settings for these apps and made sure they should not be doing anything on their own, yet they continue to do so. These apps are more than just a nuisance.
    Hmmm.... I've been using my task killer to try and see which of the bloatware apps are self starting once they're killed. The only one I can catch doing that is Motoblur itself.

Can you tell us which 5, or more, pre-installed apps are doing that for you? I'm trying to figure whether they're not coming back on for me or whether my task killer isn't seeing them come back on or what.

Thanks.

Here's what is usually running for me (this does not include apps from the market, or Happenings which is on my ignore list):

AT&T Music (never use it)
    Alarm Clock (never use it)
    Camera (I do use this sometimes, obviously, but it appears in the task list even when I don't)
    Motoblur News (never use it)
    Text Messaging (I have not sent or received a single text since getting the phone, I only use google talk)

Occasionally I get others without ever using them like AT&T Maps, AT&T Radio, AT&T Wifi hotspots, etc., plus some of the basic stuff like Contacts and Dialer even if I haven't made or received a call all day. But not nearly as often as the 5 above.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links