Prepare me please!

This is a discussion on Prepare me please! within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Hey everyone, After much consideration and research, I finally made the decision to get the BackFlip. I am on a family plan with AT&T, so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepare me please!

Prepare me please!

Hey everyone,

After much consideration and research, I finally made the decision to get the BackFlip. I am on a family plan with AT&T, so I had to get an AT&T phone and it was certainly not going to be an iPhone, and I really feel I will enjoy the BF.

I am fully aware of a lot of the common complaints/warnings about the backflip but I feel with the research I have done that there are adequate answers to most of these issues that I hope will satisfy me.

I should receive my phone tomorrow morning and with most of the discussions about battery life, and hard resets, I want to ask for advice on what I should do when I first get the phone.

Should the first thing I do is let it charge and do nothing else, and if so how long should I let it sit on the charger?

Should I do a hard reset right away, or just go in and disable all the stuff I won't be using, like Bluetooth, GPS, etc.? Should the first App I get be the App killer?

I would greatly appreciate any advice that will help me off to the best start with my new Backflip.

Thank you.

**Instead of posting in the Introductions forum and then discussing the phone here, I just combined them here. I hope that is okay.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    Hey everyone,

After much consideration and research, I finally made the decision to get the BackFlip. I am on a family plan with AT&T, so I had to get an AT&T phone and it was certainly not going to be an iPhone, and I really feel I will enjoy the BF.

I am fully aware of a lot of the common complaints/warnings about the backflip but I feel with the research I have done that there are adequate answers to most of these issues that I hope will satisfy me.

I should receive my phone tomorrow morning and with most of the discussions about battery life, and hard resets, I want to ask for advice on what I should do when I first get the phone.

Should the first thing I do is let it charge and do nothing else, and if so how long should I let it sit on the charger?

Should I do a hard reset right away, or just go in and disable all the stuff I won't be using, like Bluetooth, GPS, etc.? Should the first App I get be the App killer?

I would greatly appreciate any advice that will help me off to the best start with my new Backflip.

Thank you.

**Instead of posting in the Introductions forum and then discussing the phone here, I just combined them here. I hope that is okay.
    Welcome, Nos.

Personally, I did nothing special with my phone. I took it out of the box and charged it up is all.

I'ts been working fine for me. No problems at all. Read through the forum here as you get time. There's lots of good information here.

You should get an app killer from the Market but there's time for that. I use System Panel App/Task Manager and it works fine for me. Get Quick Settings and Astro File Manager, too.

Here's what I did:

1. Activate the phone.
    2. Factory data reset.
    3. Format SD card while it's in the phone.
    4. Customize all the settings, especially those that affect battery life (here's a post of mine related to this)
    5. Start installing apps and have fun!

Charge the battery if you need to, mine came about 60% charged, which was enough for that first day.

Welcome. I also didn't do anything, since I bought mine at the store so they did their standard setup for me. Used it briefly that evening then charged it overnight when I got home. Certainly the tips about turning off Google sync, etc. are really helpful for battery life.

All good advice.....personally I found the phone lagged more when I was using the Advanced Task Killer.....and I really didn't see any improvement in battery life....but I just charge as needed so it's not a problem for me....

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments.

Well I have had the phone since Saturday morning. I fully charged it, and played around a little bit, and then I let the battery run all the way down and then fully charged it again. Then I did it again.

Couple of things I have noticed.

1. Sometimes when I turn the phone it does not change to landscape view no matter how I try.

2. The phone has recognized my location as Seattle... Not sure where to change this.

3. When I try to reply to a text message, I have to start from "New Text Message" because the phone does not recognize my area code. Some one told me that I would have to enter the area code every time I call or text some one. That can not be right.

4. I can not figure out how to remove Apps or widgets off of the desktop.

I am still learning though for sure, but so far I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    Couple of things I have noticed...
    1. Orientation doesn't change on any of the home screens unless the keyboard is out. Otherwise, as long as you have orientation auto switching on, it should do it everywhere else. The Orientation setting is found in the phone's Display and Security settings.

2. I'm not sure what you mean. Google Maps has recognized that as your location? Some other app? What? There is an section called 'My Location sources' in the phone's Location and Compass settings that includes the 'Use wireless networks' option and the GPS option. Some apps can access these sources, so if they're turned on, the apps will get precise location info. Be aware that they are major battery hogs.

3. I am not sure about that, but every contact I have already has the area code in it, so I've never run into this problem.

4. In android, you can long press (i.e. hold your finger there for a second or 2) on something for more options. In this case, long press on any shortcut or widget on your home screen and a trash icon will appear. Then just drag it over to the trash to get rid of it.

I think the "Seattle" thing he's talking about is the Weather widget. When I had to factory reset, it booted back up with "Seattle" as my city for my location. For some reason it doesn't automatically get your GPS location...but I suppose they'd rather not assume you're "home" or something.

Basically, OP - click on the Weather widget where it says "Seattle" and hit the little "options" button (the one with four squares on it). This will give you options to go to "settings" and set up your location if you choose to do so.

Thanks guys. I will look into your suggestions.

However I have to ask. Every time you dial a number that is NOT in your contacts, you have to put in the area code?

I'm supposing that you live in an area where you have to use 10-digit dialing? Or are you referring to "long distance" calls?

I haven't seen a setting in the phone to add the area code for all calls, so I believe the answer to your question would be yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links