I want to use the backflip for texting, no data plan

This is a discussion on I want to use the backflip for texting, no data plan within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I am 13 and looking for a phone. My favorite so far is definitely the Backflip. I really want a texting phone, but love the ...

View Poll Results: How did you find android.net

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • DroidForums.net

86 62.32%
  • DroidXForums.com

21 15.22%
  • IncredibleForum.com

5 3.62%
  • AndroidTablets.net

5 3.62%
  • NexusOneForum.net

4 2.90%
  • FascinateForums.com

3 2.17%
  • ATTDroids.com

4 2.90%
  • SprintDroids.com

1 0.72%
  • GoogleTVForum.org

2 1.45%
  • Google Search

16 11.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to use the backflip for texting, no data plan

I want to use the backflip for texting, no data plan

I am 13 and looking for a phone. My favorite so far is definitely the Backflip. I really want a texting phone, but love the extra apps and stuff provided by smartphones such as the backflip. I want to be able to use the backflip as a texting phone while I'm out and about and as a smart phone when I'm at home. So I want to be able to turn off the data plan, so that I recieve absolutely 0 data. When I am at home or at a free-wifi restaraunt I would like to be able to activate wifi and use the phone to browse the web, check email, etc... Is it possible to turn off the data plan like that. Will it be possible to still have all the internet using apps/widgets and not have them automatically collect data while I am not connected to wifi?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

AT&T won't sell this phone, on a contract, without a data plan of at least $29.99/month. I purchased mine through Amazon Wireless (beta) and was still under that constraint. (I had to give up my grandfathered $20/month unlimited data plan). That being said, you may come by the device on the grey-market, Ebay, Craig's list or find the box in the street - whatever. Until the device can be rooted, you'll not be able to uninstall the AT&T apps that are a part of the factory ROM/image. There are several applications, so installed, that WILL use a data connection even if you continually kill them with a task manager such as ATK / Advanced Task Killer. I often find that AT&T Navigator, Happenings (the FB/Twitter/MySpace social networking app), News (RSS feed), and Text Messaging is running and the 3G connection is active, even though I don't launch them and I don't have accounts configured for them.

I have 4 lines on my AT&T account, one of which has never had a data plan. If an application runs that needs data, it will be serviced, and AT&T levies a $.01/per KB charge at the end of the billing period.
    As it is configured from AT&T, I see NO WAY that the Backflip WILL NOT consume data and cost you money.

It is possible to disable the mobile data using 3rd party applications found in the Market. Quick Settings allows this. The newest version also allows you to keep MMS messaging enabled when disabling data.

You would still need to find the phone on EBay or somewhere though, since as mentioned above, ATT will force you to purchase a data plan. It's also possible that ATT will automatically add the data plan when you connect to their network and they determine what phone you are using.

So, it is possible to do what you are wanting, but there are risks that you'll still end up getting charged for data.

That kind of sucks. I've been reading around and as you have said, at&t automatically adds you to the data plan. Personally I think that that is very stupid.

I was hoping that there would be some way to turn off 3g and edge. That 3rd-party app you said looks like it will work if I get the backflip.

My dad told me that I could buy the phone with the data plan then cancel the unlimited data after a month. He didn't do any research or anything, but now that I've done some research it seems that this is impossible... Correct?

Aren't there any ways to trick at&t to think that your phone is a normal phone when its actually a smart phone?

You're kinda out of luck, sorry. If you're primarily looking for a texting phone, smartphones are unnecessary anyway.

There aren't really any reliable ways to do that, no. Some people try just swapping SIM cards around, but there is still a chance that ATT will recognize the phone on their network and add the data plan.

If you're just looking for a texting phone, there are much better choices out there that won't run you the risk of having to pay for the smartphone data plan.

K thanx you guys. I'll see what I can do. I'll probably just get the samsung impression, but thanx for all the help. I still love the backflip.

I just ordered my backflip a couple days ago and we talked the sales rep into taking off the data plan altogether. It took some effort though with about two hours on the phone. we also talked her into giving me an early update and knocking $100 off the price. so instead of paying full price of $350 (non-committment) plus $360 a year for the data plan, I only paid the advertised $100 plus $18 for the early update. Everything worked out pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by TRave View Post
    I just ordered my backflip a couple days ago and we talked the sales rep into taking off the data plan altogether. It took some effort though with about two hours on the phone. we also talked her into giving me an early update and knocking $100 off the price. so instead of paying full price of $350 (non-committment) plus $360 a year for the data plan, I only paid the advertised $100 plus $18 for the early update. Everything worked out pretty well.
    Whaa? $350? I thought the backflip was $100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads