Question regarding email

This is a discussion on Question regarding email within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Hello forum members... Been a loyal blackberry user for the past 3 years, however been seriously looking for the jump into the backflip/droid world. I've ...

Thread: Question regarding email

Question regarding email

Hello forum members...

Been a loyal blackberry user for the past 3 years, however been seriously looking for the jump into the backflip/droid world. I've been reading reviews on this phone for the past month. My only concern at this point is whether I can install multiple emails accts and how gmail works on this phone. Is the email on gmail push where I can get emails almost instantly on the phone or does it pull where the phone gets email every hour. I know on the Iphone 3GS and Palm Pre, gmail is pushed to the phone. I understand battery life isn't the greatest on the phone, and having a pull system email would definitely be a deal killer for me. I receive at least 100-150 business and personal emails/day. Please advise and thanks in advance!!

Also is tethering to laptop with 3g available thru a hack?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

mail settings

Quote Originally Posted by thechinoguy View Post
    Hello forum members...

.... My only concern at this point is whether I can install multiple emails accts and how gmail works on this phone. Is the email on gmail push ...

Also is tethering to laptop with 3g available thru a hack?
    I have 5 email accounts syncing to my Backflip one of which is Gmail. Gmail does synchronize through push settings. I use K9 mail for my other accounts and they are push or pull depending upon the back-end capability of the host server.

I've read about PDAnet (search these forums) and it purports to allow tethering, but I've not needed it yet.

Update: Part of the Backflip family

thanks scout19d3

Just wanted to update everyone and let everyone know as of yesterday I am officially a Backflip user after being a Blackberry user for past 3 years. Reason I switched was because I wanted something a little bit different. So far I am very satisified. Emails have been coming in without any hiccups or delays. I have read the forums and have done my best to reduce battery usage. I've also purchased 2 additional batteries.

I would like some clarification tho.

-Do all widgets drain battery life? I have one showing the battery life on home screen and the date book. How much does this effect battery vs a weather widget that constantly goes online?

-Also is there a way to turn off moto blur does it always have to run in the background? I currently have one email going thru there.

-Any recommendations on a good Navigation program? I've tried Waze and found it wasn't that accurate.

-Any recommendations for site on ringtones? Not looking for music tones but more like the ringtones because there aren't much of selections out of the box.

-PDA net? is this a free program?

So...

-Do all widgets drain battery life? I have one showing the battery life on home screen and the date book. How much does this effect battery vs a weather widget that constantly goes online?

Not all widgets are battery hogs. Just the ones that go out there and do, get or check stuff continuously.

-Also is there a way to turn off moto blur does it always have to run in the background? I currently have one email going thru there.

No, motoblur is the Baptist Minister sitting next to you on that long flight from Atlanta to Ft. Worth. He's not gonna shut up and he's not going anywhere. At least not until the backflip gets rooted.

-Any recommendations on a good Navigation program? I've tried Waze and found it wasn't that accurate.

Read up on CoPilot. It's been discussed here plus they have a web site.

-Any recommendations for site on ringtones? Not looking for music tones but more like the ringtones because there aren't much of selections out of the box.

Go to the Market and look through some of the free sites. One or a few will tickle your fancy. Download those and just delete the ones you don't like.

-PDA net? is this a free program?

Yes and no. There's a free version but "Note: Once trial expires, you can continue using PdaNet for free. The only difference is that free edition blocks secure web sites" And there's also a Full version for about $20 or so. They're on sale right now. Check out their website. You could google it, if you had google. Damn...

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

Quote Originally Posted by scout19d3 View Post
    I have 5 email accounts syncing to my Backflip one of which is Gmail. Gmail does synchronize through push settings. I use K9 mail for my other accounts and they are push or pull depending upon the back-end capability of the host server.

I've read about PDAnet (search these forums) and it purports to allow tethering, but I've not needed it yet.
    Please tell me how you synced 5 email accounts. I have only been able to get gmail through my Backflip. My AT&T account continues to give me the error message "Authentication error sending"

If you're having trouble sending email using SMTP through your provider, it may be that the basic security settings of the default email client don't provide the options needed. That is the case with my ISP.

You may want to take a look at K-9 Mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnna View Post
    Please tell me how you synced 5 email accounts. I have only been able to get gmail through my Backflip. My AT&T account continues to give me the error message "Authentication error sending"
    jmgib mentioned K9 mail. I'm using that as well. You can add multiple accounts with K9, the default mail program, or any of several others from the Market. Just open the app, go to settings, and look for Add Account or something similar.

Regarding the sending errors, read this other thread, and my post there about using our providers unauthenticated SMTP gateway - cwmx.com

I just wanted to update you on the issue that I had with email. This may be helpful to anyone out there who uses AT&T.net as an email provider when AT&T used Worldnet as part of there internet address. I could not use any of the post offices for yahoo, or hotmail, etc. Must use:

Incoming: ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net SSL Port #995
    Outgoing: imailhost.worldnet.att.net SSL Port #465

Many thanks to all of you who tried to help me with this. I hope this helps others who may be using AT&T as a service provider.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links