Interested in your complaints

This is a discussion on Interested in your complaints within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Okay, so I'm probably going to be buying this phone very soon. I've done tons of research, and this looks the best for me. All ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interested in your complaints

Interested in your complaints

Okay, so I'm probably going to be buying this phone very soon. I've done tons of research, and this looks the best for me.

All I want is for you guys to list everything you dislike about this phone. I just want to make sure that all the problems this phone does have are ones I will be able to deal with. So hit me with your best shot

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

1) The fact that it won't be rooted, primarily because of a lack of support in the community.
    2) 2.1 is coming out in a few months (so no missing features for a while).
    3) Occasionally, the phone can get slow.
    4) Battery life isn't that great.
    5) Can only install non-market apps via a computer.
    6) Lack of Google search widget is getting slightly annoying now.
    7) Loaded with very annoying and useless AT&T bloatware that tends to slow down the device.

Some of the issues I have with it. For me, the "No rooting" part is the most frustrating. Not many people use the Backflip in their Android vernacular, and it is virtually ignored by the community. Therefore, I would not expect a root at all for it, as it seems to be a forgotten device already. Even modmymoto.com hasn't had an update in ages. I can't even express how annoying that is. If, however, you are not interested in rooting, this isn't a big issue I guess.

I will agree with most of what you said Luke, but I don't think you can state for a fact the phone won't get rooted. I'm quite sure it will eventually. I think once we have a captured update file you will be surprised.

I also don't care about the google widget but that is a big deal for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post
    I will agree with most of what you said Luke, but I don't think you can state for a fact the phone won't get rooted. I'm quite sure it will eventually. I think once we have a captured update file you will be surprised.

I also don't care about the google widget but that is a big deal for some people.
    I really hope so; besides the issues mentioned above, the phone is great. By rooting it, we can potentially eliminate half of the issues. Let's hope that someone can pull it off!

I'm shopping around and may get this phone. But what, may I ask, is rooting, and how is not having it bad?

Quote Originally Posted by yxtabay View Post
    I'm shopping around and may get this phone. But what, may I ask, is rooting, and how is not having it bad?
    Rooting is making the device a true open source phone. When the phone is rooted you can load customer roms whom developers make and can customize the rom to your liking. If unlocks a lot of different features as well, that currently are locked down such as installing non market applications, having google as main search, creating roms based off higher firmwares than we have now, and installing applications to SD card, just to name a few.

Will rooting also enable us to get rid of or at least disable all the AT&T bloatware?

Quote Originally Posted by yxtabay View Post
    Some additional information re: 'rooting'.

Rooting refers to having 'root' access to the phone. It's mostly familiar to folks who have worked with one of the Unix type operating systems on computers. The Android operating system on the phones is kind of Unix like.

It means having total admin control of the phone. Out of the box, much of the phone's system files are locked and we can't delete, edit or replace them.

If we were to gain 'root access' we would be able to customize the operating system to our hearts content. It's god mode as far as the phones operating system is concerned.

So, once the phone is rooted then the techno geeks get to work creating custom ROM images that can be loaded onto the phone to replace portions of the operating system that came with it.

It opens up lots of possibilities for generally doing stuff we are locked out of doing now. A lot of it is dangerous stuff, of course (refer to 'bricking your phone'. You could Google that, if you had google search).

Also, some of the stuff we could do is merely interesting, shiny and pretty and new but not dangerous.

And, most importantly, a little bit of it is actually quite useful to laymen like you and me. Such as new apps to do new things for us in new ways.

Tho, they'll probably run our batteries down quicker.

So when I see people complaining about their battery running out in a day, or even less than a day, is this true for all Backflips? Or is this an uncommon problem? I know about the whole multiple apps running and google sync and all that, but say with just regular use, is it really only going to last a day on average?

Quote Originally Posted by gdeadfan View Post
    So when I see people complaining about their battery running out in a day, or even less than a day, is this true for all Backflips? Or is this an uncommon problem? I know about the whole multiple apps running and google sync and all that, but say with just regular use, is it really only going to last a day on average?

'Regular' is an extremely illusive quality when applied to personal smart phone usage.

Some of us are getting around a day or two on one battery charge and others are getting less than 7 or 8 hours.

Those are the extreme ends of the scale. The bulk of backflip users are represented by the larger bell shaped group in the middle of the scale.

As with most reasonably useful and reasonably 'smart' phones, plan on charging to 100% over night and then possibly once or twice during the day only on exceptionally busy days. You can simply plug it into one of your PC's either at home or at work for an hour or two here and there, if you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links