Buying Backflip from Amazon.com: how to disable data plan?

This is a discussion on Buying Backflip from Amazon.com: how to disable data plan? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Originally Posted by toiday I'm not sure if this is because of version of Android on you Backflip or Backfip itself. I have the HTC ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Backflip from Amazon.com: how to disable data plan?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by toiday View Post
    I'm not sure if this is because of version of Android on you Backflip or Backfip itself. I have the HTC Aria (2.1). When press and hold the power button, it gives me among the choices, turn off Mobile Network. Also, in Setup -> Wireless & Networks, there is an option to check/uncheck Mobile Network.

I'm with you on that not wasting money on data plan. I have the HTC Aria and don't have data plan. I already carry a company BlackBerry so I don't really need a data plan on mine. Now a day, there are so many free wife hot spots. I feel that this should be a place to ask for help and offer help on Android devices, NOT a place to judge how people live.

Cheers!
    First of all, nobody is judging anyone, so redirect that elsewhere. A smart device that runs a "smart OS" such as Android, Windows Mobile, or iOS are designed from the ground up to have 24/7 background data services supplied to them, that's why they're required with every new "smart device" activation. The carriers were sick of everyone complaining about their device not working correctly, but then whining about not wanting to have to pay for data. The choice is yours to by a $500+ un-subsidized handset, or you can get it subsidized and just stick with what the carrier requires. Carriers such as AT&T, detect what device you have by the IMEI number and can automatically charge you for a data-plan if they see fit and certain criteria are met. It's in the terms and conditions. Background data services is what makes a "smart device" a convenience, otherwise just get a dumb-phone, and call it a day.

Buy the hardware un-subsidized and THEN you can tell AT&T whether you'll be having their wireless data or not.

OR

Buy the hardware on SUBSIDY and don't whine about the terms and conditions. If you don't agree with them, go with the option above.

I have to hear this from people all day, and it really gets on my nerves after a while. Sorry for the rant.

I respect most of the comments here, but the OP and the follow-up poster that uses their 'smart' phones without a data plan have the right to want that. Almost everyone has a cell phone. Alot of people want to have the ability to use WIFI hotspots and networks at home/work, etc. Why do you think they released the iPad with WIFI only. I sure as heck don't want and iPad, and don't really want to carry around a second device just for internet access away from home. Hence, the all-in-one smart phone. Using with cell data should be an option. If you don't want to use the data side, you shouldn't have to pay for it. I, for one, have been paying for an unlimited cell data plan since it was more than twice it's current price. I do, though, believe users that buy their phones unsubsidized should have every right to go the no-data route; they're not cheating anyone, just not paying for something they don't need. My 2 cents.

With these phones having so many capabilities, and apps and services, it's almost certain you'll end up using background data. I'd rather pay a data plan to cover that than to risk the individual usage prices.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant Overclocked to 1.6GHz. Please excuse my Swype.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by iTylerA View Post
    With these phones having so many capabilities, and apps and services, it's almost certain you'll end up using background data. I'd rather pay a data plan to cover that than to risk the individual usage prices.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant Overclocked to 1.6GHz. Please excuse my Swype.
    AT&T still has the option of an IMPLICIT Data Ban that they can place on the account at the customer's request. What that does is stop them from automatically adding the data package, AND will refuse any kind or sort of data connection initiated from whatever device that SIM is in. I had this on my Tilt, as at the time, there was nothing on the thing that I really needed a data plan for (WinMo is useless).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links