Task Killers

This is a discussion on Task Killers within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Available memory , it's an issue , we have this thread about it http://www.backflipforums.com/forum/...le-memory.html I've gone back and forth with the Task Killer apps. I ...

Thread: Task Killers

Task Killers

Available memory , it's an issue , we have this thread about it

http://www.backflipforums.com/forum/...le-memory.html

I've gone back and forth with the Task Killer apps. I have used ATK a few times only to delete it . My questions are numerous.

I understand what they do, typically I would have around 31mb of available memory and when I would use Advanced task killer to kill them it would jump to 110mb + .

But here is what i want to know,

1) When you kill the various apps when do they start up again, right away, a few hours later, not until you open them again?

2) How many times a day do you use the task killer?

3) How many times a day should you use it?

4) If it is so important why is it not a standard feature?

5) By killing various apps are you maybe playing with the inner workings of the phone and maybe doing more harm than good?

thoughts?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It's a funny thing about task killers. They seem to help, but I don't think they are as essential as they appear.

The only task killer app I've tried besides ATK is System Panel, which has some interesting info in its FAQ. According to the System Panel devs, killing tasks in Android doesn't generally make much of a difference for performance or battery life. Android does not rely on available memory the same way that a PC operating system does. There are different running states for apps; some are actually running in the background while others have simply been 'pre-loaded'. ATK doesn't differentiate between those states, so when you kill a bunch of stuff, even though it shows a memory increase, you're not really going to get much in the way of a performance or battery life increase.

I have noticed that a few apps (including some of the AT&T ones) constantly load themselves into memory no matter how many times I kill them. At first this really bugged me; after forcing myself to lay off ATK for a little while, I stopped caring as much because performance and battery life have been fine. I still use ATK once after rebooting the phone and occasionally if the phone feels sluggish, but that's it.

This is just my experience, of course; I'm sure others here have had different experiences.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

Thanks for the feedback guys, I had read the first article you linked Marvin, it's the reason why I deleted ATK . As a complete newbie to android I confess to knowing nothing about it until I got this phone, but I am learning and the idea of killing apps just never sat well with me. There is plenty of for & against articles to read and it's a personal choice , I honestly never felt like I got anything from using it.

The second link is a great read and reinforces the idea in my mind that I should stick to what the first article says.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links