Should I get a Backflip?

This is a discussion on Should I get a Backflip? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I have read the reviews and now I'm asking the users, should I get a Motorola Backflip? I'm already on AT&T and will most likely ...

Thread: Should I get a Backflip?

Should I get a Backflip?

I have read the reviews and now I'm asking the users, should I get a Motorola Backflip?

I'm already on AT&T and will most likely be stuck there for another 2 years, my current phone is just a basic Samsung Propel and I'm looking to upgrade to a smartphone. I want something that runs Android that I can program my own apps for (you can still load your own apps using the Android SDK with the new update right?) and use the web. What is the state of gaming on Android with the Backflip? What emulators are available and do they work well?

My main questions are:

A) Is the phone stable? I don't want a phone that randomly reboots
    B) Is the phone reasonably fast? I don't want a phone with lag doing simple things such as browsing the menus
    C) Is MotoBlur able to be disabled? (because it seems to be a large CPU/memory/battery hog)
    D) Is the phone durable? Does the screen scratch? Does the keyboard break?
    E) Will it be worth it for 2 years? Or will I be kicking myself for not shelling out $500+ for an unlocked GSM Nexus One?
    F) Can I disable the terrible Yahoo search and use a decent search provider such as Google?
    G) Is it possible to use the Android SDK or some other program to delete all the AT&T crap?
    H) Does the phone work well with Linux?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

This has been brought up several times so you may want to try searching around the forums, but for your questions:

A) I haven't had any problems with the stability of the phone either before or after the upgrade.
    B) It seems to be responsive enough. Depending on what you're trying to it should be fine.
    C) You can use alternate "Home" apps and the Google sync can be disabled. Blur can't outright be disabled though.
    D) Seems so
    E) Personal preference really. How dead set are you on having the latest and greatest? There will be more powerful/featureful Android phones out there. Can you live with that?
    F) You cannot disable Yahoo search though you can install apps such as Open Search to use Google if desired.
    G) Not until such time as we gain root access on the phone.
    H) Should work with Linux, yes.

A) Is the phone stable? I don't want a phone that randomly reboots
    The phone is very stable, well atleast in my case. I personally haven't had problems with any random reboots.
    B) Is the phone reasonably fast? I don't want a phone with lag doing simple things such as browsing the menus
    The phone had somewhat of a lag when first setting and syncing everything up on motoblur. Since the new update the was releasead to a few a weeks ago, the phone has been very responive
    C) Is MotoBlur able to be disabled? (because it seems to be a large CPU/memory/battery hog)
    At this point Motoblur can not be disabled. You can choose to not put some of the motoblur widgets on the homescreen so they wont be running, but the motoblur app itself is needed to access the phone.
    D) Is the phone durable? Does the screen scratch? Does the keyboard break?
    The phone is very durable. I've dropped mine many of times. The keyboard has a hard plastic over it which makes it very durable as well. As far as the titanium or whatever it is on the sides, they seem to scratch easily or when dropped. I would suggest buying a case for it.
    E) Will it be worth it for 2 years? Or will I be kicking myself for not shelling out $500+ for an unlocked GSM Nexus One?
    Thats really up to you. I'm fine with it and wouldn't pay the 500 for the nexus one, but than again that just IMO.
    F) Can I disable the terrible Yahoo search and use a decent search provider such as Google?
    No but you can install Google voice search. When/if the phone is rooted, then you would have that option.
    G) Is it possible to use the Android SDK or some other program to delete all the AT&T crap?
    No. Att bloatware can not be removed at this point.
    H) Does the phone work well with Linux?
    I dont know as i dont use Linux, but seeing as though its an Android, I wouldn't see why not.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links