AT&T To release unlock codes for all phones

This is a discussion on AT&T To release unlock codes for all phones within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Just came across this on Engadget: Proposed class action settlement would let you unlock almost any AT&T handset -- except the iPhone -- Engadget So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AT&T To release unlock codes for all phones

AT&T To release unlock codes for all phones

Just came across this on Engadget:
    Proposed class action settlement would let you unlock almost any AT&T handset -- except the iPhone -- Engadget

So the good news is that a class action lawsuit out in Cali is on the cusp of coming to a resolution, and the resolution will require AT&T to provide an unlock code for just about any phone it has sold since March 12, 1999 -- in other words, you'll be able to take the phone and use it on any GSM carrier of your choice. We say "just about" because there's one big exception -- any phone for which AT&T secured an exclusivity period of at least ten months -- which naturally includes the iPhone (in fact, it's called out by name in the settlement). There are some stipulations, too; if you're postpaid, you have to have been a customer for at least 90 days, and even devices with exclusivity periods of less than ten months can't be unlocked until the period is over (which admittedly makes good sense). Taking a Backflip somewhere else might not seem like a particularly appealing option, but who knows -- maybe you're a T-Mobile customer with a thing for backward hinges and a disdain for 3G.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

nice article find.

thats a good thing for me because i bought the backflip out of contract and my contract is up at the end of this year, so with tmobles new 3g service rolling out and the lack of a better android phone on att i might just be tempted to switch so at least i can use the backflip as something better than a paperweight if that happens

ATT and T-Mobile use different frequencies for their 3G services. I don't believe you would be able to use the Backflip on T-Mo and get 3G speeds, you would be limited to Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    ATT and T-Mobile use different frequencies for their 3G services. I don't believe you would be able to use the Backflip on T-Mo and get 3G speeds, you would be limited to Edge.
    This is correct. Hence the bit about "a disdain for 3G" in the article.

Ya, I'd say just get any one of the T-Mobile Android phones on contract and then sell your Backflip on Ebay, they go for 200+. Unless of course you're unwilling to use a phone with a different form factor.

OK, soo..... I thought you could already do this. All you have to do is call customer care and request the unlock codes. they will email them to you. I've done it with the Bold 9000, the curve and the bold 9700.

Quote Originally Posted by jchapman01 View Post
    OK, soo..... I thought you could already do this. All you have to do is call customer care and request the unlock codes. they will email them to you. I've done it with the Bold 9000, the curve and the bold 9700.
    Typically, though, you have to have been a customer for a while.

Oh, OK. That makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
    Typically, though, you have to have been a customer for a while.
    Has anyone able to get the unlock code from ATT? Can you please share on how to successfully request for it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links