You guys do know the AT&T Backflip being limited isn't an issue no more right?

This is a discussion on You guys do know the AT&T Backflip being limited isn't an issue no more right? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Oh I see. Thanks. Hopefully in the future the structures of Cell phones become more similar, though I do think that is happening now. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You guys do know the AT&T Backflip being limited isn't an issue no more right?

Oh I see. Thanks. Hopefully in the future the structures of Cell phones become more similar, though I do think that is happening now. I think Droid vs. iPhone is reminiscent of Windows vs. Mac. So much similarities when comparing the two 'wars' per se.

With that said I'm definitely going to pick me up a Backflip.

Cell phones aren't becoming more similar. Not really. PC CPUs are all compliant to the same Intel CPU design. Even though there were other CPUs that came along such as Cyrix, AMD, etc, they were all "Intel compatible" chips. The only breaking with this was when AMD introduced their 64-bit chips, but these still maintained backwards compatibility with the old Intel 32-bit stuff.

This is why prior to Apple adopting Intel CPUs, when they were still PowerPC based, you couldn't run MacOS on a PC. They're not compatible.

That is the situation with cell phones. Some are based on ARM processors. Some are based on Qualcomm chips. These just aren't compatible and so the firmwares have to be different.

Basically, an educated consumer is a good consumer. Check out all the different phones, carriers etc., BEFORE you buy a phone. If one doesn't suit your needs or wants, then don't buy it. I get tired of people buying something and then whining about it

Quote Originally Posted by berniesteven View Post
    Basically, an educated consumer is a good consumer. Check out all the different phones, carriers etc., BEFORE you buy a phone. If one doesn't suit your needs or wants, then don't buy it. I get tired of people buying something and then whining about it
    This. In spades. But really this goes for any major purchase you make. From an automobile, to a PC (do you really need that $2,000 PC to check email and play Facebook games?), to cell phones as mentioned above. Make sure that what you are getting meets your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    This. In spades. But really this goes for any major purchase you make. From an automobile, to a PC (do you really need that $2,000 PC to check email and play Facebook games?), to cell phones as mentioned above. Make sure that what you are getting meets your needs.
    Oh definitely lol. I'm with AT&T and I believe that the backflip is the best bang for your buck by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappcatt View Post
    1) Because the carriers suck. i.e. Bloatware. I only have experience with AT&T but they want to force/fake you into using their (typically) crappy app which you have to pay for instead of one provided by others. ATT navigator, TV, Radio, etc.
    These apps have absolutely nothing to do with upgradeability. For example Where comes on the phone and has a new version, but we can't update it til we get 2.1. As it has been stated many times, even on motorolas web site, the inherant flaw in our upgrade process is and always will be MOTOBLUR. It is integrated into nearly every facet of this phone. This is motorolas decision, not the carrier.

Also take into account this is a unix base system. It is not compareable to windows. This is the same reason MacOS, Red Hat, Debian, and Knoppix will never update at the same time. Same core, but different user interfaces.

AFAIK I think google has done a hell of a job keeping things on as level as a playing field as they have considering all of the different manufacturer's implementations of their core OS.
    Don't speak to me of the crunch. You know nothing of the crunch.
    You've never even been to the crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravaged Pheonix View Post
    These apps have absolutely nothing to do with upgradeability. For example Where comes on the phone and has a new version, but we can't update it til we get 2.1. As it has been stated many times, even on motorolas web site, the inherant flaw in our upgrade process is and always will be MOTOBLUR. It is integrated into nearly every facet of this phone. This is motorolas decision, not the carrier.

Also take into account this is a unix base system. It is not compareable to windows. This is the same reason MacOS, Red Hat, Debian, and Knoppix will never update at the same time. Same core, but different user interfaces.

AFAIK I think google has done a hell of a job keeping things on as level as a playing field as they have considering all of the different manufacturer's implementations of their core OS.
    I agree with most of what you are saying, but carrier pre installed applications have a lot to do with phones being upgraded. At&t has to first run test to see if their applications will work on the new platform and if not will have to work on making a version that will. I've seen this happen many of times with phones and upgrades not only with Att, but with all carriers. I won't blame it all on carrier applications becuase i like you said most of it has to do with MotoBlur. But it does carrier applications do play a part in when a phone will get upgraded.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links