You guys do know the AT&T Backflip being limited isn't an issue no more right?

This is a discussion on You guys do know the AT&T Backflip being limited isn't an issue no more right? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Atleast to phone geeks like yourselves. Maybe to the average casual (forgive my lingo, its usually used when talking about videogames, since I'm a hardcore ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys do know the AT&T Backflip being limited isn't an issue no more right?

You guys do know the AT&T Backflip being limited isn't an issue no more right?

Atleast to phone geeks like yourselves. Maybe to the average casual (forgive my lingo, its usually used when talking about videogames, since I'm a hardcore gamer)but for the people who are into their phones, they have exploited it.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about the AT&T Backflips being limited in that, you can't d/l apps outside of the market.

yes we know...but since it is still running Android 1.5 and has not been rooted, it is limited in many ways.

Twitter app, Google Maps with voice navigation, doubleTwist ...

Some threads dealing with it here on the forum:

http://www.backflipforums.com/forum/...rket-apps.html

http://www.backflipforums.com/forum/...rketplace.html

I don't understand this. Why in the official AT&T site does it say that its 'upgradable to 2.0'. That is very misleading...

Quote Originally Posted by xcyper33 View Post
    I don't understand this. Why in the official AT&T site does it say that its 'upgradable to 2.0'. That is very misleading...

It says that because the phone will be upgraded to 2.1 in Q3

Ohh I see. Heh I don't understand why they don't make all phones on the droid OS universal for updates. Similar to Windows.

Example, you can have a custom built computer, a dell, or an Emachine, but they all take universal updates from Microsoft. Why should it be different for Droids?

Quote Originally Posted by xcyper33 View Post
    Ohh I see. Heh I don't understand why they don't make all phones on the droid OS universal for updates. Similar to Windows.

Example, you can have a custom built computer, a dell, or an Emachine, but they all take universal updates from Microsoft. Why should it be different for Droids?
    Because thoseare computers and these are cell phones. For one, cell phones have different processors in them than others and may not be able to handle some Operating systems, and each carrier has to approve them before they are released. Not to mention carrier apps have to be tested on the device they have. Oh and some Android phones have different features such as Motoblur and Sense and those have to be compatible with the newer os in order to ugrade as well. The list goes on and on to why there is no universal upgrade process.

Quote Originally Posted by tae_254 View Post
    Because thoseare computers and these are cell phones. For one, cell phones have different processors in them than others and may not be able to handle some Operating systems, and each carrier has to approve them before they are released. Not to mention carrier apps have to be tested on the device they have. Oh and some Android phones have different features such as Motoblur and Sense and those have to be compatible with the newer os in order to ugrade as well. The list goes on and on to why there is no universal upgrade process.
    What he said. Apples and oranges.

1) Because the carriers suck. i.e. Bloatware. I only have experience with AT&T but they want to force/fake you into using their (typically) crappy app which you have to pay for instead of one provided by others. ATT navigator, TV, Radio, etc.

2) Because the hardware manufacturers are hoping that they can provide a customized software solution which you would rather use than another manufacturers or any third party apps. I find this also ludicrous. While I think Sense is pretty cool, I would gladly give it up for a similar specced phone which runs Vanilla android and is upgraded/updated to the newest OS almost instantly. i.e. the N1.

While the cell phones do have different architectures there is a pretty small variety of options which are out there. The customized software layers on top are the major limiting factor. IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links