BF with SSH access

This is a discussion on BF with SSH access within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; I have a couple of questions pertaining to the BF. I was about to run out and get the phone when i came across an ...

Thread: BF with SSH access

BF with SSH access

I have a couple of questions pertaining to the BF.

I was about to run out and get the phone when i came across an article that said the BF (AT&T) does not allow ssh from the phone. Is this true? I was specifically looking for a phone with this capability for in an emergency i can log onto a remote box from my phone. I used to be able to do this with a Palm Pilot using pssh.

Does the phone allow console/terminal access on the phone itself or is this some almost like a menu driven phone with the sub linux system hidden?

My last question now after reading some articles, it really sounds like this is a phone for high school kids who only need the integrated myspace, friendster, and facebook stuff.

Anyway feedback/answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I use 2 apps from the app store ConnectBot (Ssh)
    and Astro (Sftp) to great success..
    I was @ work and wanted an album on my home Mythbox (Mp3) it took a bit o time but Astro downloaded it in the background to my sd card (Eat that one I phone)

Dave.

I have also used ConnectBot to SSH to remote UNIX hosts. It works great, keeping the connection open even if you switch to another app to look something up. On the Backflip, press the 'OK' key for 'control', and press it twice for 'escape'.

The only down side I've found is that ConnectBot doesn't bring up the symbol menu, so there's no easy way to enter brackets. It makes creating HTML difficult.

The backflip does allow outbound ssh traffic so that you can ssh from the phone to a computer for example but not vice versa. Also if you want a nice working android phone DO NOT GET THE BACKFLIP! I had a G1 before and loved it except the lack of 3g. I was able to install 2.0 on it and it was wonderful. I got the backflip when it was released assuming the same adoption. Boy was i wrong. This phone SUCKS! Seriously go with a normal android phone like the nexus one.

Read this article by gizmodo on why google phones are better builds usually:

Android's Acne Problem: Or Why You Should Stick to the Google Phone

Unfortunately some people can't afford to pay $500 for a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Unfortunately some people can't afford to pay $500 for a phone.
    Oh. I know. I would get the nexus one in a heartbeat if i had the cash. but i am just a lowely college student with little income. But for the people who dont mind spending $500 on a new phone, it is a decent one.

Thank you for the answers. I like the fact the ssh connection won't drop when switching to a different app. I will check out connectBot. I don't really care about inbound ssh. I did look at the Nexus One. 500 dollars is some serious coin for a cell phone. I don't see myself shelling out that cash for one.

Ok go ahead and laugh but i was sorta under the impression (for both the droid and backflip) that you could grab the new bleeding edge kernel, build it, and then deploy it to the phone. I don't think this is possible because of the blur vm that sits on top of it. Haha my bad. Anyway i think for 100 bucks this doesn't look like a bad buy. I can get to some remote servers, check some scores, and make calls.

Thanks Again.

you know. There are other cell phones out there besides the nexus one that you can get also. I would prefer them because they have less addons (the :blur: ui as well as at&t's preloaded unremovable crap) and a faster processor. Sometimes i feel like my phone is slower than molasses but that could be the way I use it. Good luck in whatever you decide to use.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links