Disable Motoblur?

This is a discussion on Disable Motoblur? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Im sure this issue has been ask greatly upon, but is there anyway to turn motoblur off if im not using it? If yes, how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disable Motoblur?

Disable Motoblur?

Im sure this issue has been ask greatly upon, but is there anyway to turn motoblur off if im not using it? If yes, how do i turn it off? This is so i dont waste data.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

There is no way to turn Motoblur off completely. That is the reason you got this phone, isn't it? Why would you want to turn its main feature off?

In any case, if you're scared that you're using too much data and you don't want Motoblur to connect and update your Happenings and such then you can download APN OnOff toggle widget from the Market. Whenever you don't want Motoblur (or any other service on your phone) to connect to the Internet you can just toggle the setting to Off. And then when you want the connection back you just toggle it back to On.
    Easy peasy!

hey thanks alot man ill give it try whe i get my phone tomorrow. Ill let you know if it works. Im on the 200MB plan for ATT and i dont want to go over that or else they will charge me another $15.

Even if you kept Motoblur running in the background it shouldn't do too much damage.
    200MB is enough if you're just going to do casual browsing and Facebook and news and such.
    I use my phone quite a bit on the go... Using Google Maps and reading my News and going on Facebook and Twitter and downloading a few apps here and there and going on Meebo IM (chat client) and a few YouTube videos and my Happenings is always running and my total cellular usage for this month was 216MB.

Also, I'm jealous of your 200MB for $15. On Telus in Canada with the Backflip it's $50 a month for 500MB! And that's the cheapest data plan!

I don't see MOTOblur as the main feature

Quote Originally Posted by tbutterw View Post
    There is no way to turn Motoblur off completely. That is the reason you got this phone, isn't it? Why would you want to turn its main feature off?

In any case, if you're scared that you're using too much data and you don't want Motoblur to connect and update your Happenings and such then you can download APN OnOff toggle widget from the Market. Whenever you don't want Motoblur (or any other service on your phone) to connect to the Internet you can just toggle the setting to Off. And then when you want the connection back you just toggle it back to On.
    Easy peasy!
    Sorry, but I don't see MOTOblur as the main feature. I use facebook, but don't want to do it on my phone -- seems like a major waste of time. As for backup, it seems to focus on social networking apps. I don't do email on my phone -- also a big waste of time. For backups, my phone contacts would be about it. I use Google Calendar but that is backed up by google.

Maybe I'm just not like the masses. I've had a Treo for years without a data plan, and mainly wanted it for the calendar and the palm apps.

I see my new android phone as a combination phone, web info browser, app server, metronome, tuner, shared + personal calendar, and GPS tool. Sounds pretty good to me.

Jerry

You still missed the point tbutterw was trying to make, and this argument has already come up several times here on the forum. The Backflip is a Motoblur enabled phone. That is the main feature of the phone. Yes, it's an Android OS phone, but Motoblur is an integral part of the phone. If you didn't want/need that you should have either waited for ATT to offer an Android phone without Blur (such as the HTC Aria coming next week) or gone to another provider for one of their Android phones (presuming you truly just wanted an Android phone).

Hi,

I've just downloaded and installed the APN On/Off application on my backflip through the Market. However, I got this error message"APN On/Off widget cannot be launched" when I tried to open it. I want exactly what's been discussed in this thread cox I only signed up for a $15/200MB plan and so far the phone has been eating up a lot of my data. How can I get this application to work? Thanks.

I just downloaded, and it works fine on my backflip.

UPDATE: If you select open just after you have installed the ap, then you do get the error message. I just found that out (this is quite a fun phone). I just downloaded, went to my home page, went into add widget mode (held finger on screen for a few seconds), and added it. It works this way. I'm not sure why it didn't work from the download notification page, maybe it is a widget conflict / open issue.

okay so them something is up with my phone then, i data usage for the past month was 1.3 gbs, and this month its hitting almost 2 gbs. lol but good thing i have the unlimited!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads