Flash Light Widget??

This is a discussion on Flash Light Widget?? within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; Originally Posted by oregoner One thing to keep in mind is that the current usage of the LED will likely affect the battery pretty quickly. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flash Light Widget??

Quote Originally Posted by oregoner View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that the current usage of the LED will likely affect the battery pretty quickly. These multi-chip LEDs require a large heat sink to use them at full intensity over long periods of time. I wouldn't consider using the LED for long periods of time. Emergency and finding keys, but not for a novelty flashlight for more than a minute or 2.

I work doing some electronic engineering, but have not studied enough about these LEDs, but most flashlights that use the high output LEDs like the Lumiled and others that I have looked at use large heat sinks.

The onboard flash LED is used for flash by spiking a voltage to it for a very short duration so there is likely very little heat sinking needed. LEDs can withstand voltage spikes without being destroyed. I wouldn't be surprised if this app will void the warranty if you complain the LED burned out.

That said, I have downloaded it and will use it in an emergency or for no more that 20-30 seconds if I can help it. Maybe a minute.
    I was thinking the same thing -- about battery life -- but it seems a perfect solution for those rare occasions when you need a light and the phone is all you have. I remember lots of times using my old Treo for this purpose, just with the screen turned on. This will be much better.

I was confident to try it based on this forum discussion and the fact that it came from Motorola. Makes sense that they'd know how to write it to work on their hardware.

Orlando, FL area
    Hey the backflip light works great! The camcorder program allows you to run the led light for the duration of the recording, so I suspect it would be ok to use for a few minutes now and again. It's coming in real handy for me in dimly lit network closets trying to read tiny port numbers.

just found this app. its OFF THE CHAIN. thanks a bunch!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links