Considering a new phone

This is a discussion on Considering a new phone within the Motorola Backflip forums, part of the Motorola Android Phones category; So, I'm thinking of not even having this phone anymore. I think there is way too many problems. Force close...screen going blank...not being able to ...

Thread: Considering a new phone

Considering a new phone

So, I'm thinking of not even having this phone anymore. I think there is way too many problems. Force close...screen going blank...not being able to answer the call b/c the "slide" doesn't work all the time.... internet randomly shutting down....phone randomly shutting off. I could go on, but I'm not. So, wish me luck on finding something better!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by UserName View Post
    So, I'm thinking of not even having this phone anymore. I think there is way too many problems. Force close...screen going blank...not being able to answer the call b/c the "slide" doesn't work all the time.... internet randomly shutting down....phone randomly shutting off. I could go on, but I'm not. So, wish me luck on finding something better!
    If you are thinking about a new phone and want to stay with AT&T, you might as well go with the iPhone 4. Regretably, it seems that this is the only phone AT&T really cares about.

I beg to differ actually. See my post regarding the just announced Samsung Captivate (Samsung Galaxy S), or the previously mentioned HTC Aria.

The iPhone isn't the end-all-be-all of mobile phones, or smart phones either for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    I beg to differ actually. See my post regarding the just announced Samsung Captivate (Samsung Galaxy S), or the previously mentioned HTC Aria.

The iPhone isn't the end-all-be-all of mobile phones, or smart phones either for that matter.
    Yea I saw the post, and I saw information on the phone on countless other sites. The Aria is already blocked by AT&T, like the Backflip, and there is no knowing when this mythical samsung will be released. Apparently, we were supposed to have 5 Android phones by the end of Q2.. AT&T has 14 more days to physically release 4 more Android phones. All I'm saying is, even the Samsung is not certain to come any time soon knowing AT&T's Android track record. I really hope I'm wrong, but "in the coming months" could mean forever.

How is ATT restricting installation from unknown sources any worse than the redtape that is the App Store? Show me where you can install an iPhone app without installing it through iTunes/App Store. No, jailbroken phones do not count.

I don't agree with ATT's practice thus far of blocking unknown sources, but really it's no worse than what is already the case with the iPhone.

We know that these phones are coming to ATT. Will they land before the June 30? The Aria I believe is scheduled to, probably not the Captivate.

Honestly I would rather go to another carrier and get a better Android phone than to follow the herd and get an iPhone. Unfortunately, my wife differs and so until I can pry her iPhone out of her hands I'll have to make due with what ATT offers... hence why I'm using a Backflip.

How is ATT restricting installation from unknown sources any worse than the redtape that is the App Store? Show me where you can install an iPhone app without installing it through iTunes/App Store. No, jailbroken phones do not count.

I don't agree with ATT's practice thus far of blocking unknown sources, but really it's no worse than what is already the case with the iPhone.

We know that these phones are coming to ATT. Will they land before the June 30? The Aria I believe is scheduled to, probably not the Captivate.

Honestly I would rather go to another carrier and get a better Android phone than to follow the herd and get an iPhone. Unfortunately, my wife differs and so until I can pry her iPhone out of her hands I'll have to make due with what ATT offers... hence why I'm using a Backflip.
    No no no I perfectly agree with you, don't consider me an iPhone fanboy. Although I do like Apple as a company, and own both a MacBook and an iPad, I would never purchase the iPhone as my smartphone. Android is the far better system when it comes to this. My only gripe, and perhaps where the stance on App Store vs Android on AT&T differs, is that the restrictive App Store policy is not fundamentally AT&Ts doing, but rather Apple's. Jobs has repeatedly stated that the iOS Platform is closed and privy to Apple's iron fist. Android, on the other hand, is SUPPOSED to be a completely open-source platform. Hence, I believe that by blocking unsigned apps, AT&T is greatly reducing the potential of Android.

Trust me, I would die to change to Verizon or Sprint. Buying the Backflip extended my contract by another two years, and there is really no way I am paying for an early termination fee. If only Verizon was willing to pay it for me, that would be an awesome marketing stunt lol.

-Backflip - Available
    -Aero - Announced
    -Streak - Announced
    -Aria - Available (this sunday)
    -Captive -Announced

AT&t has only blocked the Aria from side loading apps, and ofcourse their own apps. The Aria is still a more viable option to me over the backflip. Looks Like AT&T has kept their end of the bargain with 5 devices at least coming soon by mid year. PLus the Aria is more likely to be rooted than our beloved/hated backflip which is sadly still running 1.5. I', becoming VERY frustrated with my backflip because every app i want to try is not available for cupcake. By the looks of it At&t is starting to gain some momentum on the Android side and I strongly believe that after the iPhone 4 is released they will announce some even better Android phone than the current lineup. I will patiently wait for the backflip 2.1 update after that I will wait till the end of 2010 to see if At&t finally releases something worth while, otherwise im out.

This was my exact situation and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. We can only hope AT&T's CEO gets his head out of his ass:

http://phandroid.com/2010/06/17/att-...ed-to-verizon/

I think they have. From what I've seen of the videos they've put out for the Aria, it will have Google search (at least it appears that it will). Personally I don't have an issue if ATT makes Yahoo the default for search; just as long as they allow the customer to change the search provider to something else if they want to. That's what irritates me about the Backflip. We have Yahoo as the search provider, but we can't change it.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links